throw out some names of speakers under $4k that in particular are known to have "sweet" mids and highs or are tonally emotional. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
kiwi, i figured the way i put that might have confused someone. i apologize. i was saying that i only use foobar when playing 24bit music or if i have songs i ripped from a cd. otherwise i just use spotify.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i plan on ordering a mic this weekend so i can use rew. Going to have to find some articles on how to make cheap sound traps and diffusers.
During my research on the program REW, i found a very informative article about audyssey. Audyssey never did anything for me before but this article let me see how much i didn't know and i was willing to take a risk.
I used a $10 floor standing top lamp with a 2nd side light connected to a flexible arm. I taped my audyssey mic to this and did 8 different positions opposed to my 1 or 2 positions that i previously did.
My final outcome was much better than before, especially once i learned all the vocabulary and set up Audyssey the way i was suppose to. I didn't hear any excessive digital artifacts like i did before. I still feel the image isn't as large as in pure direct mode but the image is much more coherent and stable. Voices were finally merging together i was able to appreciate the natural resonances of voices and i was even hearing more instruments than before too.
I used Dolby Digital+Music mode as i thought it did some creative cinematography magic to create a natural story telling dimension for my music to work it's late night, no light magic.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #33 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

still hearing a lot of reflections though.

post #34 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

i really don't like adding any Audyssey to my music. the processing just takes away so much of the clarity of the music and made the sound way more compressed sounding..

I used to say the exact same thing. biggrin.gif

But Audyssey has different settings which allow Dynamic EQ (DEQ).

You have

1) Off or Pure Direct (I don't like because no DEQ)
2) Audyssey + DEQ (I don't like because I also think it makes the music sound compressed)
3) Audyssey FLAT + DEQ (I like)
4) Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ (I like)

So I use Bypass L/R + DEQ.

I don't like Dynamic Volume because this truly COMPRESSES the sound (Dynamic Compression).

But I love Dynamic EQ. Got to have this.
post #35 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I don't have Dynamic EQ but I have seen a lot of people that love it. It's odd to me thought that in my room when I really crank some music up I want/need to increase the subwoofer volume. When I go back to normal volume levels that same sub volume then sounds too loud and I turn the sub volume back down to where it was before I cranked up the master volume.

This is the opposite of what Dynamic EQ does right?

I'm talking about music not movies though, so maybe that makes a difference.
post #36 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't have Dynamic EQ but I have seen a lot of people that love it. It's odd to me thought that in my room when I really crank some music up I want/need to increase the subwoofer volume. When I go back to normal volume levels that same sub volume then sounds too loud and I turn the sub volume back down to where it was before I cranked up the master volume.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
post #37 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

Thanks Jerry - I know about that but I guess I was wondering if I'm the only guy that turns UP the bass when really getting crazy loud with music. I don't do it very often but every once in awhile it's fun for short periods of time.
post #38 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks Jerry - I know about that but I guess I was wondering if I'm the only guy that turns UP the bass when really getting crazy loud with music. I don't do it very often but every once in awhile it's fun for short periods of time.
No. You are not alone there.

Sometimes there's an issue with room modes: so making sure the sub is properly placed helps even that out a bit; but (especially with music) I've seen the same thing with some recordings.

Sound just doesn't scale evenly to our ear.
post #39 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

for some reason, i have lost all abilities to play with audyssey settings. I go to audio adjust/ audyssey settings , and then it just says MultEQ XT off/on but not dynamic eq, reference offset, audyssey flat or dynamic volume option available. anyone know why?

post #40 of 40 Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 30
I concur with Salk SCST recommendation. Another possibility would be Philharmonic Slims with Salk built cabinets: http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/philslim.html. I don't think I've ever read about an owner being displeased with the sound of either speaker brand.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Primus P362 3 Way Dual 6 5 Floor Spk Sold Individually , Monitor Audio Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page