Speakers under 200-300$ with good bass (in Bay Area)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi!

Please advise me some good speakers under 200-300$.

I'm going to use them to play music (mostly drum & bass so bass should be really good) from pc or android phone (simple stereo minijack). Probably 2 channel sound.

Ability to wirelessly stream music directly to speakers will be a plus, but not a requirement.

My room is 4 x 4 metres.

I'd prefer two bookshelf style speakers with no subwoofer at all. My friend has M-Audio BX8 D2 monitors & I like their sound. He told me smth about 8mm thickness of low frequency speaker in them for good bass, but:

1) they're 500$

2) they're monitors & he's into recording music, I'm only a listener.

I'm in California, so please advise smth that I could buy here locally.

Or maybe you could advise me a good store with a lot of speakers in stock? I'm in Bay Area (San Jose/San Francisco).

Thanks!

Best regards,

Valeriy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 380
The Emotiva Airmotiv 4 are on sale right now for $299 and would be an excellent choice. If you want to hear speakers in person, you can just go to Guitar Center, they sell lots of different active monitors and you can hear them and compare.

As for wireless streaming, you might be able to use Airplay on an Android in which case you can just connect an Apple Airport Express to the speakers and stream to them. You would however need a digital to analog converter because IIRC the router only has an optical audio output.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

The Emotiva Airmotiv 4 are on sale right now for $299 and would be an excellent choice. If you want to hear speakers in person, you can just go to Guitar Center, they sell lots of different active monitors and you can hear them and compare.

As for wireless streaming, you might be able to use Airplay on an Android in which case you can just connect an Apple Airport Express to the speakers and stream to them. You would however need a digital to analog converter because IIRC the router only has an optical audio output.

Thanks!

I don't have airport express but I'm thinking about using nettop as home media center & connect speakers to it.

Any more options? Because Emotiva Airmotiv 4 are actually monitors & as I understand if I don't record music I'd better buy some "home" high end speakers?

Also I'd like to get at least 3 recommendations to choose from smile.gif
post #4 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vainkop View Post

Thanks!

I don't have airport express but I'm thinking about using nettop as home media center & connect speakers to it.

Any more options? Because Emotiva Airmotiv 4 are actually monitors & as I understand if I don't record music I'd better buy some "home" high end speakers?

Also I'd like to get at least 3 recommendations to choose from smile.gif

There are two options here.

1) Active speakers, which are typically classified as studio monitors.

2) Passive speakers, which will require some sort of amplification, either a receiver or amp of sorts.

Studio monitors are designed to be flat (accurate) and produce sound as it is intended. There is nothing wrong with listening to music on studio monitors, the music was produced on that kind of speaker. The difference between those active speakers and traditional passive speakers is the built in amplification.

Active speakers offer good value and the amplifier is designed to match the speakers very well, some of the better active speakers have dedicated amps for the tweeter and woofer as well. You would be very happy with the Emotivas, in my opinion they sound better than the M-Audio speakers your friend has.

Three options in your price range: Emotiva Airmotiv 4, Behringer Truth 2030A, KRK Rokit 5

If you would rather go with a passive speaker, you will need an amp. Since your room is small, you could get away with using a t-amp, this is a compact efficient amplifier designed for small rooms or nearfield use. If you like to turn up your music, I would look elsewhere.

You could go with a basic home theater receiver, this will allow for future upgrade, and give you bass management if/when you add a subwoofer. Something like this Denon AVR-1312 paired with the Cambridge Audio S30 would sound great. Going with a passive setup gives you the ability to upgrade the components separately as well, so you can get better speakers and keep the amp instead of having to replace everything (like with active speakers).

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 14
You will be getting the most for your money with Emotiva!
post #6 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys! I'll go with Emotivas after I find then somewhere locally & listen to! smile.gif
post #7 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Thank you guys! I'll go with Emotivas after I find then somewhere locally & listen to! smile.gif

they are an ID company only. no store fronts,unless you meant someone who has them personally.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

they are an ID company only. no store fronts,unless you meant someone who has them personally.

I gave them a call & figured it out already frown.gif

But they have 30 day return with no restocking fee + if I buy on amazon then the return will probably be free too smile.gif
post #9 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There are two options here.

1) Active speakers, which are typically classified as studio monitors.

2) Passive speakers, which will require some sort of amplification, either a receiver or amp of sorts.

Studio monitors are designed to be flat (accurate) and produce sound as it is intended. There is nothing wrong with listening to music on studio monitors, the music was produced on that kind of speaker. The difference between those active speakers and traditional passive speakers is the built in amplification.

Active speakers offer good value and the amplifier is designed to match the speakers very well, some of the better active speakers have dedicated amps for the tweeter and woofer as well. You would be very happy with the Emotivas, in my opinion they sound better than the M-Audio speakers your friend has.

Three options in your price range: Emotiva Airmotiv 4, Behringer Truth 2030A, KRK Rokit 5

If you would rather go with a passive speaker, you will need an amp. Since your room is small, you could get away with using a t-amp, this is a compact efficient amplifier designed for small rooms or nearfield use. If you like to turn up your music, I would look elsewhere.

You could go with a basic home theater receiver, this will allow for future upgrade, and give you bass management if/when you add a subwoofer. Something like this Denon AVR-1312 paired with the Cambridge Audio S30 would sound great. Going with a passive setup gives you the ability to upgrade the components separately as well, so you can get better speakers and keep the amp instead of having to replace everything (like with active speakers).

Today in a guitar shop I listened to JBL LSR305 & liked them. They're in my price range (150$ for one). Are Emotiva Airmotiv 4 much better? I actually listened to Mackie MR5 to compare & didn't like them (high frequences sounded a little bit blind to me & also they're quiter (not a minus,but..)).
post #10 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Today in a guitar shop I listened to JBL LSR305 & liked them. They're in my price range (150$ for one). Are Emotiva Airmotiv 4 much better? I actually listened to Mackie MR5 to compare & didn't like them (high frequences sounded a little bit blind to me & also they're quiter (not a minus,but..)).

The LSRs measure well and seem like really good speakers. I'm not surprised you liked them. They're certainly standouts as far as value is concerned. Their sensitivity is a plus too.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #11 of 21 Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 11
The PSB Alpha P1s are supposed to be pretty good. Sound and Vision (formerly Home Theater) gave them a Top Pick and they are $300

Review:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/psb-alpha-ps1-multimedia-speakers

Audio Advisor:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBALPS1
post #12 of 21 Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

I think the JBL LSR30 is a fairly new speaker. Might have trouble finding people who have heard both. But I do like what I have read about the JBL's. The Airmotiv 4s do sound nice and I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone (I have heard them).

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #13 of 21 Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bought 2 JBLs & Airport Express a1392. Sounds great smile.gif

Btw imo Apple did a stupid step by releasing their new Airport Extreme without linein.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought 2 JBLs & Airport Express a1392. Sounds great smile.gif

Btw imo Apple did a stupid step by releasing their new Airport Extreme without linein.

Congrats on the purchase. Regarding Apple, I think the idea is content is streamed and you output it to a stereo. If your source is next to the AE, just skip the router altogether.

Living Room

Computer
post #15 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congrats on the purchase. Regarding Apple, I think the idea is content is streamed and you output it to a stereo. If your source is next to the AE, just skip the router altogether.

Yeah, I understand, but why downgrade functionality?
I saw several people complaining that they upgraded & no sound output was a bad surprise for them.

I was a little bit dissapointed too. Express is N only, Extreme is AC. But it's ok for the music, just like to be on the technology edge as I'm an IT guy smile.gif
post #16 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The Airplay streaming is kind of getting phased out with most AVRs having networking these days. Pretty sure Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo all support Airplay now so I guess Apple is putting that cost elsewhere.

Living Room

Computer
post #17 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Airplay streaming is kind of getting phased out with most AVRs having networking these days. Pretty sure Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo all support Airplay now so I guess Apple is putting that cost elsewhere.

Into HowToSurviveWithoutSteve.
ios7? fail
new iphones? fail
new innovative products? fail
etc

Hope they change ceo & change strategy. Imo with that amount of cash they could do much better. They're not creative anymore, just trying to catch up with Google & Microsoft instead of innovating. Even MS announced new ceo coming soon smile.gif
post #18 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Into HowToSurviveWithoutSteve.
ios7? fail
new iphones? fail
new innovative products? fail
etc

Hope they change ceo & change strategy. Imo with that amount of cash they could do much better. They're not creative anymore, just trying to catch up with Google & Microsoft instead of innovating. Even MS announced new ceo coming soon smile.gif

It just shows how powerful and successful Apple is that everyone keeps critiquing them for not innovating anymore or coming out with a new product that rocks our world. When was the last time that Google or changed the entire marketplace with a single product? I don't see everyone touching their laptop screens because of Win8, Windows Phone is a failure, the Kinect was an answer to Nintendos innovation, Android is a catch up to iOS/iPhone (which it has caught up if not passed), Google Glass hasn't been released so it hasn't changed anything, Chromecast is a "me too" to AirPlay, Google TV was a flop, the new Galaxy Gear from Smasung is an answer to the Pebble (and it was done by Samsung) which was inspired by the iPod Nano's being used as watches, Chromebooks is the only thing I could possibly see be called innovation, but that would be a stretch. So please tell me where anyone else has innovated in the way the Apple has done. iPod, iTunes, iPhone, AppleTV, AirPlay, iPad, MacBook Air and have you seen the new Mac Pro??? Why do they need to make new product categories or massively innovate to be considered successful yet everyone else can just iterate or copy?

Sorry to rant and take over the thread
post #19 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

OP touched a nerve it seems... biggrin.gif

Living Room

Computer
post #20 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAV View Post

It just shows how powerful and successful Apple is that everyone keeps critiquing them for not innovating anymore or coming out with a new product that rocks our world. When was the last time that Google or changed the entire marketplace with a single product? I don't see everyone touching their laptop screens because of Win8, Windows Phone is a failure, the Kinect was an answer to Nintendos innovation, Android is a catch up to iOS/iPhone (which it has caught up if not passed), Google Glass hasn't been released so it hasn't changed anything, Chromecast is a "me too" to AirPlay, Google TV was a flop, the new Galaxy Gear from Smasung is an answer to the Pebble (and it was done by Samsung) which was inspired by the iPod Nano's being used as watches, Chromebooks is the only thing I could possibly see be called innovation, but that would be a stretch. So please tell me where anyone else has innovated in the way the Apple has done. iPod, iTunes, iPhone, AppleTV, AirPlay, iPad, MacBook Air and have you seen the new Mac Pro??? Why do they need to make new product categories or massively innovate to be considered successful yet everyone else can just iterate or copy?

Sorry to rant and take over the thread

It's ok.
I'm not an Apple hater at all, I bought iPad for my wife, used to have iphone 3gs, which was really great at that time, ipod & etc.

But all these things were designed under Steve's supervision. Nothing new, nothing innovative & they're gonna dissapear or become something like Ford (remember about Genry Ford yeah?) or like blackberry if they won't change their course. They still have the chance but the higher you climb the faster you fall.
Google is already beating them in sales a lot & you're wrong about Windows Phone, it's a great product & their sales grow everyday. Windows 8 touchscreen laptops & tablets? A lot!
I have a lot more to tell you & I'm not a regular consumer, so have a lot to tell (including that I have friends working for bigfruit in cupertino:)) but I think we exceeded the limit of IT talks in 300$ speakers thread smile.gif Pm me if interested.
post #21 of 21 Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAV View Post

Why do they need to make new product categories or massively innovate to be considered successful yet everyone else can just iterate or copy?

Apple's not as innovative as they make themselves out to be. The GUI based OS in the very first Macs and the mouse were based on XPARC technology. The iPhone was the evolution of the smartphone revolution already started by Palm--technology had just reached a point where the iPhone's particular design was feasible. Ipad? Windows had tablets first. iTunes? Apple bought that from someone else. Airplay? Had to love that Squeezebox as the first generation of successful streaming audio.

It all comes from somewhere else. Most technology put out by these big companies is rarely REALLY original. The reason Apple gets so much flack for NOT being innovative is because they market themselves as being extremely innovative. Promoting the hype surrounding their products to make innovation part of their company image just sets them up for a backlash when they are not.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

Tags
Behringer Truth B2030p Passive Monitor , Krk Systems Rp5g2 Generation 2 Rokit 5 Studio Monitor
Gear in this thread - B2030p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page