Need advice picking speakers for room with tile floors. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I once owned a pair of Paradigm Studio 40 v.3s combined with a Rythmik 12" servo sub in my 350 square foot living room , and absolutely loved the sound. We then remodeled the house and went with tile floors which are pretty standard in south Florida. The paradigms immediately became too bright causing listening fatigue quickly. I know it's not the speaker's fault, but the fact remains the same.

I sold the Studio 40s and Marantz SR7001 and went without music at home for a while. I recently picked up a refurbished Onkyo TX8050 and a pair of used Titan v.4s to just have something going again. It sounds surprisingly good, but now that I'm listening to music at home again, I need more.

I've since placed an 8'x10' thick shag throw rug on the floor in the center of the room, and am planning to do some more room conditioning to make the room not so bright. I need advice on picking a warmer sounding speaker with comparable value to paradigms. I'd like floor standers which won't require a sub, but am not opposed to smaller speaker/sub combo. For now the system will be strictly for music, but it may turn into a home theater system in the future. I have about a $5k budget of which I can spend about $3500 of which for speakers (Either floor standers or bookshelf + sub). I'd love to get a pair of Studio 100s, but definitely fear them being too bright.

I listen to mostly rock music. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Changing speakers won't address the problem, which is reflections off the floor. Tile looks good, but it sounds bad.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Put a rug half-way between the speaker and your ear. See if that helps.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Put a rug half-way between the speaker and your ear. See if that helps.

That's what I did with the 8' x 10' thick shag rug. It definitely helped, but I'm only using the Titans now. I have two large throw rugs covering about 50% of the open floor. My wife will not allow anything more on the floor. I am using a glass top coffee table which I'm sure isn't helping things, so it may get replaced. There's only so much I can do to tame the room, so I figured going with a warmer sounding speaker should help things out.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 14
Perhaps you should consider some sort of accoustic treatment on your walls. How big is the room? What do you have in there for furniture? What type of window treatments do you have?

I might be in similar situation. I just remodeled and put in wood lam floors. I don't have a system in yet though.

Jeffer65
post #6 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnooby View Post

I am using a glass top coffee table which I'm sure isn't helping things.
Any and all hard reflective surfaces will have a detrimental effect on the sound of the room, no matter what speakers you use. A simple test is to clap your hands. If the sound of the clap reverberates you need to further replace those hard reflective surfaces with soft non-reflective surfaces.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Any and all hard reflective surfaces will have a detrimental effect on the sound of the room, no matter what speakers you use. A simple test is to clap your hands. If the sound of the clap reverberates you need to further replace those hard reflective surfaces with soft non-reflective surfaces.

I have leather couch, loveseat, and chair with ottoman. Room dimensions are basically 25' x 14', but then L's into a 12' x 20' dining room at the back. Wife agreed to replace coffee and end tables.Any other suggestions for speakers and or room treatments?

Thanks for the PM AVSS5. I will check to see if there are any dealers in my area where I can demo these.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnooby View Post

.Any other suggestions for speakers and or room treatments?
If you have drywall walls paper them with this, or something similar. It's soft, textured, and doing all the walls with it is as effective in taming reflections as a few traps.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135656-37364-13759_4294929280__?productId=1014781&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

If you have drywall ceilings paint them with a popcorn texture finish, the rougher the better.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

If you have drywall walls paper them with this, or something similar. It's soft, textured, and doing all the walls with it is as effective in taming reflections as a few traps.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135656-37364-13759_4294929280__?productId=1014781&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

If you have drywall ceilings paint them with a popcorn texture finish, the rougher the better.

I have plaster walls, and there's no chance of wallpapering them. My wife and I hate wallpaper. I'm guessing we'll need to hang large textured art on the walls instead.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx 8050 Network Stereo Receiver Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page