Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

For a room

27 feet length by 10 feet width by 8 feet high

The length of wire from the receiver to the front speakers would probably be 35 feet (16 awg wires)

Primary use is watching movies and sports from cable

Which B&W speakers would be comparable to this set up.

Any recommendations is appreciated

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 284
What is your budget? Also, I would probably go with a higher gauge wire for such a long run, at least 14awg.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Budget is around 2 to 2.5k for speakers and subwoofer

Also please recommend a receiver for a 5.1 configuration

post #4 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Bookshelves and sub will be your best bet here:

Denon AVR-1713 (www.accessories4less.com)
Klipsch RB-61 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
SVS PB12-NSD/HSU VTF3-MK4/PSA XV15

I would give the AV Science store a call and see what they can do for you, but this would be a solid setup. You get Audyssey MultEQ XT with that receiver and the Klipsch's have a high sensitivity so it won't take a lot of power to make them loud.

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 17 Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 28
I would go with the RB-81 system. You can find good deals on the speakers if you look around.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Any pointers on where to look around for finding good deals on these speakers?

post #7 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

http://avscience.com

Living Room

Computer
post #8 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The only TRUE REFERENCE speakers made by Klipsch are the Klipschorn speakers and the La Scala speakers.

They are large, and they are expensive, but they ARE real REFERENCE speakers; the performance is awesome.

Everything else they make is very inferior by comparison.

Wiring ANY speaker with 35 feet of number 16 wire is very stupid. For that length you need number 10 wire, especially if the speakers are larger than a small bookshelf speaker.

16 gauge wire has way too much resistance to use more than 6 feet of length.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is there any reason you are targeting Klipsch? Have you heard them and like them, or are you just going by what you have read. Klipsch are fine speakers, but are not everyone's cup of tea. They can tend to accent the high frequencies and some find them fatiguing. You really need to listen to, and audition different speakers to at least what sound you really like, then you can narrow your choices.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

No there is no reason why I am targeting. The only speakers I listened to were Klipsch and pioneer.

If you have other recommendations please let me know and I will be glad to listen to the speakers you recommend (jdcrox)

post #11 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You dont say where you live, but for local buy, if you have a Fry's near you, they have the Infinity Primus series, often on fantastic sale prices. They often have Energy speakers, at good prices. Klipsch are a horn-loaded tweeter, it tends to make them very dynamic, great for home theater. Some find "honky" for music. Audition other types, get a feel for what you like. Nothing worse than spending a few hundred dollars, and realizing down the road you really dont care for the sound.
I have Energy RC-10 Bookshelves. Love them, but they are a discontinued model now. I love the NHT sound, I have had a collection of them in the past. If you go internet, your options get even larger, and less expensive for similar quality.
I am not knocking Klipsch, just be aware they they tend to sound "different". Those that love them, do so passionately. Those that dislike them, also passionately. Little middle ground. wink.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

You dont say where you live, but for local buy, if you have a Fry's near you, they have the Infinity Primus series, often on fantastic sale prices. They often have Energy speakers, at good prices. Klipsch are a horn-loaded tweeter, it tends to make them very dynamic, great for home theater. Some find "honky" for music. Audition other types, get a feel for what you like. Nothing worse than spending a few hundred dollars, and realizing down the road you really dont care for the sound.
I have Energy RC-10 Bookshelves. Love them, but they are a discontinued model now. I love the NHT sound, I have had a collection of them in the past. If you go internet, your options get even larger, and less expensive for similar quality.
I am not knocking Klipsch, just be aware they they tend to sound "different". Those that love them, do so passionately. Those that dislike them, also passionately. Little middle ground. wink.gif

Thanks jd

I am in North Carolina (no Fry store near by)

You mentioned

"If you go internet, your options get even larger, and less expensive for similar quality.I am not knocking Klipsch"

What other speakers would be equivalent to Klipsch reference speakers that can get online? Please let me know and I will definitely check it out

post #13 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Klipsch is kinda in a class by itself. There aren't really any other speakers that are like them. They are fairly sensitive speakers and the treble is sometimes voiced a bit hot. There are other good options to consider though, a few: EMPtek Impressions, Hsu Hybrid packages, Ascend/Rythmik packages, that is just to name a few of many good options. If you can do a little bit of assembly, Dayton kits would provide a great value as well.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
If your room is treated well, and you have the right gear behind them, Klipsch Reference stuff can sound VERY good. I've never been able to find anything with the clarity and deep soundstage they present. Everything else I try in my room sounds boring by comparison.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the last set of home theater speakers I'll ever buy, and they are Klipsch. RF-7IIs, RC-64II, RS64II, RB81II. They are awesome. I did have some Infinity Primus 150 bookshelves. A couple of them have bad tweeters. They can't handle the power (and I never pushed them harder than about -3). On the other hand, my Klipsch can play LOUD (concert level LOUD) at +10 on the dial with no problem. So there's no way to ever damage them at "normal" home theater listening levels (which for me is anywhere from -5 to -2 depending on how hot the movie is mixed)

Definitely, though, you want a treated room. My HT room is treated, and it allows the speakers to play loud without beng "loud". The horns spread the highs out better, and as a result they will reflect off the sidewalls more, giving them that "bright/honky/harsh" sound. Treatments are a must with any speaker system. More so with Klipsch.

Check out the AVS Radio Show titled "Acoustics 101": http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494052/acoustics-101-with-anthony-grimani
post #16 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

I have the last set of home theater speakers I'll ever buy, and they are Klipsch. RF-7IIs, RC-64II, RS64II, RB81II. They are awesome. I did have some Infinity Primus 150 bookshelves. A couple of them have bad tweeters. They can't handle the power (and I never pushed them harder than about -3). On the other hand, my Klipsch can play LOUD (concert level LOUD) at +10 on the dial with no problem. So there's no way to ever damage them at "normal" home theater listening levels (which for me is anywhere from -5 to -2 depending on how hot the movie is mixed)

Definitely, though, you want a treated room. My HT room is treated, and it allows the speakers to play loud without beng "loud". The horns spread the highs out better, and as a result they will reflect off the sidewalls more, giving them that "bright/honky/harsh" sound. Treatments are a must with any speaker system. More so with Klipsch.

Check out the AVS Radio Show titled "Acoustics 101": http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494052/acoustics-101-with-anthony-grimani

-3 and +10 mean absolutely nothing. What is the SPL? Not everyone rocks out at 115db. It seems like most speakers can hit reference levels these days and I'm sure all the Klipsch owners here would be shocked to learn that they nevery listen above 100db anyways. I think people just hear about efficiency enough times and start to use it to justify their purchase even though they never benefit from the few extra decibles. Most speakers will play louder than anyone is willing to listen to.

Listen to GoldenEar, I read many speaker reviews and this sounds like one of the best speakers for the money and you won't even need a sub. It's rated at 16hz (measured 24hz) which will save you room, power and money.

My choice is Martin Logan ESL or reserve series, despite being marketed towards music first, I use them for movies and can't imagine anything better when crossed over with a good sub. Probably not as good with rock or death metal from what I can tell but everything is a compramise. Some used ESL series can be had for your budget.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Klipsch Reference series are just fantastic for tv and home theater. Really happy with mine. I chose the 61 over the 81s when I did a side by side comparison. 61s just sound more detailed and exciting to me. 81s were too recessed and lacked the same detail. With a sub, the added low end of the 8 inch woofers won't even matter.

For pure music they are solid but not amazing.

I'd suggest my setup - RB-61s, RC-62, RF-42s (save the money....i don't feel I'm missing anything from with the smaller drivers), HSU VTF-15h .

I'm sure others can recommend other great setups as well.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rb 61 Ii Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Black Pair , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Rb 51 Ii Reference Series Ii Bookshelf Loudspeakers Black , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page