Currently own NHT 3.3's and adcom 565 monoblocks, wife says i need to replace.. suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, kinda new to the audiophile scene but I am trying to learn. I currently own an rxv-2065 receiver, 2 adcom 565 monoblocks and 2 nht-3.3's, a really nice nht center, dont remember the model but I can post if important, and some nht superone for surround. We recently moved and the wife says they need to go frown.gif
I am thinking of selling the whole setup or just selling the NHT's and keeping the amps as they are tanks and just had them recapped last year.
I listen to 70 percent home theatre (or my family does) and 30 percent music, primarily FLAC and CD's from a hard drive.

I would really like suggestions on what speakers would sound great to replace them with the adcom amps but have a smaller footprint and blend in more to a traditional home. The room is about 20 feet wide 15 deep, 8 ft ceiling on hardwood floor. I would like to keep the budget around 5000-6000 for the whole speaker setup.

I look forward to hearing some ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Welcome to the forums. Too bad about the WAF thing. Could you fill us in more on what is acceptable to her in the way of size and appearance and placement options for the speakers? Can the fronts be hidden behind an acoustically transparent screen or do you use a tv? Is your current avr acceptable to her? You shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping the amps out of sight but then that depends on the available space/furniture.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm thinking that it's the 3.3's that are the real (visual) problem. What about replacing those with some more Superzeros and a sub and hide them all in cabinets/behind screens?
post #4 of 8 Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
And where do you live? I want the 3.3's!tongue.gif
Really, the cheapest way out would be to either move the Super Ones to the front, and get some Super Zeros for surround duty, or talk to NHT and get a good front pair that would match up well with your other NHT's. (I do love the NHT sound).
post #5 of 8 Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The 3.3's are a great speaker. They as you know have a fairly narrow front face but are huge in depth. One thing I would suggest is that you visit the site Audiogon.com and click on full range speakers. You will see dozens of great speakers for sale with pics. Find some that catch your eye and do some research on them and go from there.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jdcrox.. Sorry about the late reply. I live in Virginia beach. What do you think about b&w ? Their expensive which is OK, are they worth it as compared to other speakers? Value to money ratio?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Are you going to involve her in the purchasing, in terms of what kind of look she'll accept?

These Paradigms look pretty stylish - with their grills on.

http://www.paradigm.com/products/type=bookshelf/model=studio-20/page=gallery
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Maybe she's more into the Nautilus look from B&W? http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/Nautilus/Overview.html

OP--you really have to give some ideas for size of speakers and their appearance/finishes....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com