Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all 

I am new here.

Just purchased pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A for my desktop setup.

The configuration is 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 meters in between both speakers and the listening positions.

I am happy with the sound when I play them in medium to hi volume level but in low volume (most of the time) I'd like more bass/punch.

Will Dynaudio Sub250 give me the bass and punch in low volume in my setup configuration?

I use Jriver and using EQ on low volume can give me almost the bass/punch I am after but I'd prefer to leave the EQ on flat.

Or any other solution other then adding Sub250?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Duddy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudez View Post

I am happy with the sound when I play them in medium to hi volume level but in low volume (most of the time) I'd like more bass/punch.

Will Dynaudio Sub250 give me the bass and punch in low volume in my setup configuration?

It's natural that we tend to like enhanced bass at lower volumes.

So would the Sub 250 improve the bass response of your setup? Yes. However, it's not going to automatically play louder in relation to the speakers when the volume is turned down, which might be what you are looking for.

If you like bass heavy music (EDM, hip hop, rap, reggae, etc.) or if you are watching movies or using it for games, I'd go for it. I have a good sub in my desktop setup, and it definitely improved the sound for those music genres and for movies and gaming. Given that you want the sub to enhance the punch, I'd try the speakers and sub with the 80hz crossover options.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, where are you located?

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #4 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I listen to all sort of music as long as in good quality :-)

Yes I was hoping I'd be able to play the sub louder in relation to the speakers when the volume is turned down.

I might look into the 80hz crossover options.

I have no way of testing the sub with my setup before purchase so I hope I'll be making the right decision by getting it.

I am in Sydney Australia.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, and what you could do is use an EQ on your media player to give the sub the boost when you want it. I use Media Monkey which has 31hz, 6hz, and 125hz settings. So to achieve what you want, I could set up the EQ so that the boost kicks in with a quick click--that was the idea behind the loudness buttons on old receivers.

Even though you can do that with your speakers, too, I still think it's worth getting a sub. It really does enhance the sound for any bass heavy music. In fact, when I first got mine a few months ago, I was really surprised, too, how much it made the soundstage seem a little fuller around me with bassy music, not just add better bass (I am sitting nearfield with mine in a computer desktop setup). I also though the mids sounded a little cleaner on my speakers once they were not required to output all the midbass, too, with an 80hz crossover.

Also, the Sub 250 runs $1000 MSRP here, an it's a 10", 200 watt compact sealed sub. We find here in the US that there are major Internet direct subwoofer vendors that typically compete well with subs like that Dynaudio that cost twice as much. I know that they have Australian dealers (here is one), so I would look into both the SVS SB-1000 and SVS SB12-NSD. Those are 12" compact sealed subs with stronger amps, so they should give you even more output should you want it. I have the SB-1000, and it does very well for a small room with my computer desktop setup. Here's a review of the SB12-NSD: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sb12-nsd-subwoofer Given that Australian SVS reseller only charges $50 more for the SB12, that's the one I would go with.

You can research on the AVS subwoofer forum, and you'll find out how popular the SVS sub are. Here's the SVS official owners thread.

post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Yes I think I will get the Sub 250.

Luckily there's one for sale - it is in Cherry colour which matches the colour of my Dynaudio speakers :-)

It is 3 weeks old only and he's selling it for AUS$400 so I think I am getting a quite nice bargain!

Do you put the sub on the desk or somewhere else?

Here is my desk where the sub is going to go

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/cougar2465/library/Desktop%20hi%20fi%20setup?sort=2&page=1

Thinking of placing it next to my monitor, in between the two speakers or put the two speakers next to the monitor and the sub in one of the corner ... or somewhere else!

post #7 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, for $400 that's nice. Awesome deal. IMHO, that's a good upgrade for that money.

You need more audio equipment on your desk. wink.gif

Sure. You can try it on the desk (put some furniture pads underneath in case there is any cabinet resonance; might scratch the glass). You could also try it under the desk. Sub bass is fairly unidirectional as long as it is not crossed over too high. I have mine under the desk. Works well for me there, but sub placement does affect performance and it's hard to predict how it will sound in your room. I'd put the speakers in the optimum location for soundstage and imaging, and then try the sub in different spots over a couple of weeks before you settle it in.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

I will do that - move it around till I found the best sound for my liking ...

Btw, there is also Dynaudio SUB 300 for sale (AUS$900) ... I am quite tempted but I think the 250 will suit my setup more but the 300 would be overkilled? if not, I might consider the 300.

From searching the net, I read Dyn Sub300 is more for movies but sub250 is for music ...

Thanks again for your advise, very much appreciated.

post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Most likely, the Sub 300 will have more output because of it's slightly larger cabinet and ported design. Which will sound better? I don't know. Often at a given price point, the best sealed sub will sound better than the best ported sub, but the best sealed sub will have less output and maybe not quite extend as low in usable output. But that generalization doesn't always hold up. If you are always listening sitting at your desk, then the extra output probably won't matter if the sub is located nearfield (a few feet away). If the sub is located further away and the room is large, then more output could be helpful. Subs tend to "see" the whole room. Given that the Sub 300 is more expensive, it may have a better driver than the Sub 250.

Still, it might seem to be harping on this, but I would research the SVS SB12-NSD before going with the Sub 300 at $900. I was not hyping when I said that there are a few Internet direct subwoofer vendors that produce much better price performance values than most traditional speaker company subs, and SVS is one of them. I know that Dynaudio makes good speakers, but any of the sub enthusiasts on the AVS subwoofer forum will tell you this because we've found this to be true time and time again in comparison to subwoofers from regular speaker companies. And there is no SQ reason to buy the same sub brand as your speakers. As a 12", 400 watt subwoofer sealed sub, the SB12 might even have as much max output as the 10" ported Sub 300 because of the additional driver size and amp power. There's a Dynaudio Owners thread on AVS. You might see what they think about SVS SB12 at $749 AUS vs your Dynaudio sub options.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again - I'll go and read about AVS. I have to make the payment for the 250 by tomorrow morning if I still want it .... In the mean time the sub 300 could be had for $700!

Will let you know what I end up with.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up getting the 250 for a bargain price of $400 with warranty. Very glad I didn't go with the 300 as the 250 for my little setup is already way too powerfull.

I placed it under the desk and it seems to be the best sound so far compare to other places. 

I set the speakers to FLAT and the output from the sub to 80hz. Some of the music I listen to sound better with the bass from the speakers so I just switch to FLAT on sub and killed the gain whenever I want to by pass the sub and use bass from the speakers

Had a read about SVS subs and sound to have great reputations. I'd go with SVS when I change room to bigger one.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page