AVS Forum banner
5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  madman133 
#1 ·

With the current pricing going on the Polk Monitor 60s I was planning on buying 2 for the front mains, 2 for the rears and a CS2 for the front center along with a sub (looking at the Lava LSP12). I was planning on using the 60s for the rear as than I do not have to worry about mounting 30s or 40s anywhere and the 60s are actually significantly cheaper than the Monitor 50s right now. Is there any downside to doing this? I realize the rears will not be truly utilized but besides that? I also plan on listening to music probably 60% of the time so thought it would be nice to have the 60s surrounding the room when doing that rather than having 30s or 40s in the rear. Ideally I would like Monitor 70s for the front and 60s in the rear however the 70s are priced at $299 each but I have until January 30th to return the 60s so I will keep my eyes peeled. The room width ranges from about 10 feet to 13 feet and 25 feet long and the TV.

Thanks

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497960/using-4-polk-monitor-60s-as-mains-and-surround-sound#post_23911857

Now the CS1 went on sale for $60 shipped, do I just pick this up or do I pay over double ($130) for the CS2. I am not that crazy of an audiophile, I thought my old roommates Insignia HTIB sounded amazing haha.

Every one I've seen that has gone from the CS1 to the CS2 has said it was worth the upgrade. It's the old saying, you gotta pay to play. I'd spend the extra but it's your money. $120 on Polk ebay but only in cherry.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/1497960/using-4-polk-monitor-60s-as-mains-and-surround-sound#post_23911877

Every one I've seen that has gone from the CS1 to the CS2 has said it was worth the upgrade. It's the old saying, you gotta pay to play. I'd spend the extra but it's your money. $120 on Polk ebay but only in cherry.

Yeah, I think I am basically building a bedroom surround sound for myself that I will use in the living room until I score good deals on M70s and a CS2

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497960/using-4-polk-monitor-60s-as-mains-and-surround-sound/0_100#post_23911857

Now the CS1 went on sale for $60 shipped, do I just pick this up or do I pay over double ($130) for the CS2. I am not that crazy of an audiophile, I thought my old roommates Insignia HTIB sounded amazing haha.

the cs2 is a better speaker, however i have paired the cs1 with the monitor 60s with excellent results, which surprised me. the cs1 does get lost when paired with the 70s.

#7 ·

Okay so right now I can have 4 polk 60s and a CS1 for $460 shipped or I can have 2 Polk 70s, 2 Polk 60s, and a CS2 for $730 shipped. I am sure I will keep these speakers for years and years so the extra money isn't really that significant to me however for my use of a 50% music 50% TV/movie/gaming....would I benefit spending the extra funds?

#8 ·
I personally would go with the 70s up front, CS2 center, and 40s for surrounds. You definitely want the bigger center, and I would spend less on the surrounds and put the difference into the bigger fronts. If you don't want to get stands then the 60s will be fine for surrounds.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497960/using-4-polk-monitor-60s-as-mains-and-surround-sound/0_100#post_23913118

Okay so right now I can have 4 polk 60s and a CS1 for $460 shipped or I can have 2 Polk 70s, 2 Polk 60s, and a CS2 for $730 shipped. I am sure I will keep these speakers for years and years so the extra money isn't really that significant to me however for my use of a 50% music 50% TV/movie/gaming....would I benefit spending the extra funds?

go with the 70's and cs2...its just better then the 60's and cs1. i own all the monitors, and the 70's are an absolute beast of a speaker...for what they are.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497960/using-4-polk-monitor-60s-as-mains-and-surround-sound#post_23913208

Wish they would go back down to $150 a speaker, not sure if I should chance it or just pick them up at $199 each?

If you can wait a little while, there is a good chance they will go on sale for Black Friday.

#14 ·
Yeah I would. Keep the 60s, I doubt they will be any cheaper than that. If you can get a deal on the 70s and CS2 (you should get this regardless), then grab them and return the 60s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.