Bookshelf speaker dilema when matching with center... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Here is my HT room that I plan to set up as 5.1.

I currently have 2 in-wall rear speakers but I need to buy a L + R + C for the front.

They must be bookshelves. My largest concern is vocal clarity during movies. Furthest sofa is approx. 20' away.

My center speaker will be in the cabinet below the TV. Largest dimension I can fit is 18" wide + 11" tall. This is pretty small for most center speakers out there.

I'm looking to get these Klipsch RB-41 for the fronts:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/klipsch-rb-41-reference-ii-4-bookshelf-speakers-black-ash-pair-2782.html

and this center RC42 which fits perfect:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/klipsch-rc-42-ii-center-channel-speaker-black-ash-2768.html

But I'm concerned that the 4" woofer is too small to get any decent lows/fill from the front. Is this a valid concern? I plan on putting an SVS SB-1000 between the sofa and wall/window.

My other options is to get 3 of these for the front RB-51:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/klipsch-rb-51-reference-ii-5-25-bookshelf-speakers-black-ash-pair-2781.html

I like the larger 5.25" woofer, but the center one would have to be mounted on it's side to fit in the opening and I heard this is a no-no. Plus I would have one extra speaker lying around as they're sold in pairs.

Any suggestions? My future receiver (Denon AVR-X2000) does have the ability for 2 extra fronts if this matters in my situation.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
If you're using an SVS sub, then you shouldn't worry about the driver size of the front 3. The SVS will handle everything 80 Hz and under and anything but tiny satellites should go down to 80 Hz with no problem.

One suggestion is to get 3 identical bookshelf speakers and put them on top of the cabinet and angle them down slightly to ear height on the sofa. Maybe put a small piece of wood under the back. All things being equal, this will provide the best sound.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

If you're using an SVS sub, then you shouldn't worry about the driver size of the front 3. The SVS will handle everything 80 Hz and under and anything but tiny satellites should go down to 80 Hz with no problem.

That's good news! Is it really that simple? I was worried I would notice sound bouncing from front to rear as it hovers around the 80hz mark. These speakers go down to only 85hz (they're not tiny satellites) - does that raise any eyebrows?
One suggestion is to get 3 identical bookshelf speakers and put them on top of the cabinet and angle them down slightly to ear height on the sofa. Maybe put a small piece of wood under the back. All things being equal, this will provide the best sound.

I can definitely do that but what do you think it'll do to the couch on the left side? I'm concerned the sound will go "over" the people sitting there. I know it's not an ideal location, but at least if the speakers are at ear height they'll get to hear most of it.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 34
Are you planning to place the bookshelves inside those shelves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

On of my friends had 3 in ceiling angled towards the listening area (vaulted ceiling). I don't know remember if i was expecting too little, but they sounded good for HT. I didn't ask him what speakers he was using because he is the type that just pay someone to do the job. I have never tried that with bookshelves, but it may work.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #5 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ideally I'd like to fit them in the shelves. Wife won't let me use floor speakers or wall mount. Angled on the top is an interesting concept but I'm worried about what it'll sound like at the side couch.

Maybe I just need to buy some and try different settings.

On a side note/rant - why is it near impossible to find white speakers!

post #6 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 14
You could try Polk OWM 5s in white. They have 4 in woofers and a 1 in tweeter. They can be mounted several ways.
Gweedz likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 145
As kidhorn points out, the only issue is that some 4 inch woofers/speakers struggle to get down to 80 hz (I have no idea about the Klipsch, but I would assume they can get below 80). Best case scenario, you get front speakers that can hit 70, or even 60...and then you have a decent amount of overlap. That way there will no gap

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post

NHT makes some white speaker models, and NHT is a very good brand. Plus, their speakers are sealed, which makes them more ideal for in the cabinet. Rear-ported speakers really need a little room to breath.

They also have on wall and in wall speakers that are available in white.
Gweedz likes this.

post #9 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, I don't have any experience with these, but there are center channel speaker mounts for the tops of TVs (have no idea how stable they are).

post #10 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrfan View Post

You could try Polk OWM 5s in white. They have 4 in woofers and a 1 in tweeter. They can be mounted several ways.

Thanks for mentioning these - they look promising and actually have two 4.5" woofers. I like that they're sold individual and the specs look good:

Total Frequency Response 60Hz-25kHz 

Efficiency 91 dB

Now I just need to find a Canadian seller...

post #11 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

As kidhorn points out, the only issue is that some 4 inch woofers/speakers struggle to get down to 80 hz (I have no idea about the Klipsch, but I would assume they can get below 80). Best case scenario, you get front speakers that can hit 70, or even 60...and then you have a decent amount of overlap. That way there will no gap

Surprisingly they can't: FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 85Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

The next size up RB-51 is better, but only sold in pairs and the matching center is huge.  FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

post #12 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

NHT makes some white speaker models, and NHT is a very good brand. Plus, their speakers are sealed, which makes them more ideal for in the cabinet. Rear-ported speakers really need a little room to breath.

They also have on wall and in wall speakers that are available in white.

Thanks for the option. I'm trying to find a Canadian seller so I can hear them. They do look nice but I was surprised of the low sensitivity of 86dB.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the option. I'm trying to find a Canadian seller so I can hear them. They do look nice but I was surprised of the low sensitivity of 86dB.

They might have a Canadian seller. But a few years back, NHT moved toward Internet direct sales.

Definitely a little lower sensitivity. Sound quality is very good from NHT, so you might sacrifice a little volume for good sound and that white finish.

post #14 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

Thanks for mentioning these - they look promising and actually have two 4.5" woofers. I like that they're sold individual and the specs look good:
Total Frequency Response 60Hz-25kHz 
Efficiency 91 dB

Now I just need to find a Canadian seller...

Do not read a whole lot into marketing specs
The OWM 5 is 88 db sensitive and the bass does not hit 60 hz -3db
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-audio-owm-home-theater-speaker-system-page-3

Klipsch also tends to get carried away

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #15 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

Ideally I'd like to fit them in the shelves. Wife won't let me use floor speakers or wall mount. Angled on the top is an interesting concept but I'm worried about what it'll sound like at the side couch.
Maybe I just need to buy some and try different settings.

Someone on here, it may be Arnyk, has three Infinity PC351 (IIRC) mounted up above in a soffet and angled down. He says the sound is great and this could be a good option for you. All you would see are the three grills, and nothing to take up shelf/floor space. Three identical center speakers (ones with a proper driver orientation) would give very good imaging.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #16 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Do not read a whole lot into marketing specs
The OWM 5 is 88 db sensitive and the bass does not hit 60 hz -3db
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-audio-owm-home-theater-speaker-system-page-3

Klipsch also tends to get carried away

I wish I better understood what all those numbers meant.

I guess at the end of the day I need to make sure I listen before buying, then make sure they have a generous return/exchange policy.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rb 41 Ii Bookshelf Speaker , Klipsch Rc 42 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page