Bookshelf speaker dilema when matching with center... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

 

Here is my HT room that I plan to set up as 5.1.

 

I currently have 2 in-wall rear speakers but I need to buy a L + R + C for the front.

 

They must be bookshelves. My largest concern is vocal clarity during movies. Furthest sofa is approx. 20' away.

 

My center speaker will be in the cabinet below the TV. Largest dimension I can fit is 18" wide + 11" tall. This is pretty small for most center speakers out there.

 

 

I'm looking to get these Klipsch RB-41 for the fronts:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/klipsch-rb-41-reference-ii-4-bookshelf-speakers-black-ash-pair-2782.html

 

and this center RC42 which fits perfect:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/klipsch-rc-42-ii-center-channel-speaker-black-ash-2768.html

 

But I'm concerned that the 4" woofer is too small to get any decent lows/fill from the front. Is this a valid concern? I plan on putting an SVS SB-1000 between the sofa and wall/window.

 

 

My other options is to get 3 of these for the front RB-51:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/klipsch-rb-51-reference-ii-5-25-bookshelf-speakers-black-ash-pair-2781.html

 

I like the larger 5.25" woofer, but the center one would have to be mounted on it's side to fit in the opening and I heard this is a no-no. Plus I would have one extra speaker lying around as they're sold in pairs.

 

 

Any suggestions? My future receiver (Denon AVR-X2000) does have the ability for 2 extra fronts if this matters in my situation.  Thanks!

Gweedz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
If you're using an SVS sub, then you shouldn't worry about the driver size of the front 3. The SVS will handle everything 80 Hz and under and anything but tiny satellites should go down to 80 Hz with no problem.

One suggestion is to get 3 identical bookshelf speakers and put them on top of the cabinet and angle them down slightly to ear height on the sofa. Maybe put a small piece of wood under the back. All things being equal, this will provide the best sound.
KidHorn is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

If you're using an SVS sub, then you shouldn't worry about the driver size of the front 3. The SVS will handle everything 80 Hz and under and anything but tiny satellites should go down to 80 Hz with no problem.

 

That's good news! Is it really that simple? I was worried I would notice sound bouncing from front to rear as it hovers around the 80hz mark. These speakers go down to only 85hz (they're not tiny satellites) - does that raise any eyebrows?
One suggestion is to get 3 identical bookshelf speakers and put them on top of the cabinet and angle them down slightly to ear height on the sofa. Maybe put a small piece of wood under the back. All things being equal, this will provide the best sound.

I can definitely do that but what do you think it'll do to the couch on the left side? I'm concerned the sound will go "over" the people sitting there. I know it's not an ideal location, but at least if the speakers are at ear height they'll get to hear most of it.

Gweedz is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Are you planning to place the bookshelves inside those shelves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post


One suggestion is to get 3 identical bookshelf speakers and put them on top of the cabinet and angle them down slightly to ear height on the sofa. Maybe put a small piece of wood under the back. All things being equal, this will provide the best sound.

On of my friends had 3 in ceiling angled towards the listening area (vaulted ceiling). I don't know remember if i was expecting too little, but they sounded good for HT. I didn't ask him what speakers he was using because he is the type that just pay someone to do the job. I have never tried that with bookshelves, but it may work.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Ideally I'd like to fit them in the shelves. Wife won't let me use floor speakers or wall mount. Angled on the top is an interesting concept but I'm worried about what it'll sound like at the side couch.

Maybe I just need to buy some and try different settings.

 

On a side note/rant - why is it near impossible to find white speakers!

Gweedz is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Member
 
pkrfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You could try Polk OWM 5s in white. They have 4 in woofers and a 1 in tweeter. They can be mounted several ways.
Gweedz likes this.
pkrfan is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 145
As kidhorn points out, the only issue is that some 4 inch woofers/speakers struggle to get down to 80 hz (I have no idea about the Klipsch, but I would assume they can get below 80). Best case scenario, you get front speakers that can hit 70, or even 60...and then you have a decent amount of overlap. That way there will no gap

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post

On a side note/rant - why is it near impossible to find white speakers!

NHT makes some white speaker models, and NHT is a very good brand. Plus, their speakers are sealed, which makes them more ideal for in the cabinet. Rear-ported speakers really need a little room to breath.

They also have on wall and in wall speakers that are available in white.
Gweedz likes this.

cel4145 is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Also, I don't have any experience with these, but there are center channel speaker mounts for the tops of TVs (have no idea how stable they are).

cel4145 is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrfan View Post

You could try Polk OWM 5s in white. They have 4 in woofers and a 1 in tweeter. They can be mounted several ways.

Thanks for mentioning these - they look promising and actually have two 4.5" woofers. I like that they're sold individual and the specs look good:

Total Frequency Response 60Hz-25kHz 

Efficiency 91 dB

 

Now I just need to find a Canadian seller...

Gweedz is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

As kidhorn points out, the only issue is that some 4 inch woofers/speakers struggle to get down to 80 hz (I have no idea about the Klipsch, but I would assume they can get below 80). Best case scenario, you get front speakers that can hit 70, or even 60...and then you have a decent amount of overlap. That way there will no gap

Surprisingly they can't: FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 85Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

 

The next size up RB-51 is better, but only sold in pairs and the matching center is huge.  FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

Gweedz is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


NHT makes some white speaker models, and NHT is a very good brand. Plus, their speakers are sealed, which makes them more ideal for in the cabinet. Rear-ported speakers really need a little room to breath.

They also have on wall and in wall speakers that are available in white.


Thanks for the option. I'm trying to find a Canadian seller so I can hear them. They do look nice but I was surprised of the low sensitivity of 86dB.

Gweedz is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post


Thanks for the option. I'm trying to find a Canadian seller so I can hear them. They do look nice but I was surprised of the low sensitivity of 86dB.

They might have a Canadian seller. But a few years back, NHT moved toward Internet direct sales.

Definitely a little lower sensitivity. Sound quality is very good from NHT, so you might sacrifice a little volume for good sound and that white finish.

cel4145 is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,143
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post

Thanks for mentioning these - they look promising and actually have two 4.5" woofers. I like that they're sold individual and the specs look good:
Total Frequency Response 60Hz-25kHz 
Efficiency 91 dB

Now I just need to find a Canadian seller...

Do not read a whole lot into marketing specs
The OWM 5 is 88 db sensitive and the bass does not hit 60 hz -3db
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-audio-owm-home-theater-speaker-system-page-3

Klipsch also tends to get carried away

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #15 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedz View Post

Ideally I'd like to fit them in the shelves. Wife won't let me use floor speakers or wall mount. Angled on the top is an interesting concept but I'm worried about what it'll sound like at the side couch.
Maybe I just need to buy some and try different settings.

On a side note/rant - why is it near impossible to find white speakers!

Someone on here, it may be Arnyk, has three Infinity PC351 (IIRC) mounted up above in a soffet and angled down. He says the sound is great and this could be a good option for you. All you would see are the three grills, and nothing to take up shelf/floor space. Three identical center speakers (ones with a proper driver orientation) would give very good imaging.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gweedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post


Do not read a whole lot into marketing specs
The OWM 5 is 88 db sensitive and the bass does not hit 60 hz -3db
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-audio-owm-home-theater-speaker-system-page-3

Klipsch also tends to get carried away


I wish I better understood what all those numbers meant.

I guess at the end of the day I need to make sure I listen before buying, then make sure they have a generous return/exchange policy.

Gweedz is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rb 41 Ii Bookshelf Speaker , Klipsch Rc 42 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off