Can i get a larger soundstage by doing this SUPER CRAZY AWESOME idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I figured the stupid title with capital letters would draw attention.

I'm going for added height to my soundstage so could i use 4 speakers and arrange them like this

and then either use multi-channel surround mode with center disengaged or just keep the signal in stereo mode
and just have two sets of wires tightened down in the binding posts of the receiver so each amp would power two speakers

I figured the woofers would need to be in the middle as generally (from what i have heard) they have less dispersion.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 12
Sounds interesting for sure! You'd definitely want to have a receiver that could control the levels of each channel, otherwise the left and right sides are going to be very loud.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

what do you mean?

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #4 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 12
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but are you sending the same signal to the heights as the their respective mains? If so then they're going to be twice as loud? I imagine it would sound off.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
You'll have problems such as comb filtering.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@dctrombly literally the same signal into four identical speakers. left amp would be feeding two speakers and right amp would be feeding two speakers.
i imagine, if anything the load would be greater therefore lower db's than just one speaker. Isnt that what volume is for anyways

post #7 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

I figured the woofers would need to be in the middle as generally (from what i have heard) they have less dispersion.

Wrong.  Subs have very wide dispersion and proper placement has less to do with the position of the main speakers than with the distribution of room modes.

Quote:

@dctrombly literally the same signal into four identical speakers. left amp would be feeding two speakers and right amp would be feeding two speakers.
i imagine, if anything the load would be greater therefore lower db's than just one speaker. Isnt that what volume is for anyways

Won't be larger sounds but, if you send the same signal to all four speakers, a smaller one compared with discrete stereo or multichannel.  What the load is depends on the impedances of the speakers but with the each pair wired in parallel (as you describe), the effective impedance will the lower.  Perhaps that will stress the (undefined) amp but you will not get it to play significantly louder.

Sorry but this sounds pretty pointless to me.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

why is it that no height will be added to the image

post #9 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Kal, i don't understand your first sentence of your second response

post #10 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Jerrylove, if i run the top and bottom speakers spliced together then as long as i have them the same distance and keep them equally spaced apart from ear position then i comb filtering shouldn't be an issue but if so then couldnt i still do multichannel surround which is still basically the left rear gets the same signal as the left front and same via right side. then i could do audyssey and it would correct the timing right?

post #11 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:

I'm going for added height to my soundstage so could i use 4 speakers and arrange them like this
That would introduce a number of phase related problems. Adding height to the sound stage isn't a matter of literally increasing the height of the speakers. This is best accomplished with an x.1 system using front height speakers with the correct DSP/decoding.
If you want to use dual speakers per channel the correct way is with 2 ways with the upper speaker inverted, placing the tweeters of the two cabs adjacent, as close to each other as possible.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

@Kal, i don't understand your first sentence of your second response

"Subs have very wide dispersion and proper placement has less to do with the position of the main speakers than with the distribution of room modes."

1.  Subs do have very wide dispersion because their dimensions are quite small compared to the wavelength of the frequencies they reproduce.

2.  Those long wavelengths are greatly affected by room modes which create peaks and nulls at different sites in the room.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

can i feed a stereo signal into a receiver with x.1 channels and get the added height or is it only with encoded or pcm signals with the proper information

post #14 of 30 Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assuming your gain was set the same with each amp as it had been with one: you'd be consuming 2x the power and getting +6db.

If you lowered gain to keep power constant: you'd have +3db.
Quote:
if i run the top and bottom speakers spliced together then as long as i have them the same distance and keep them equally spaced apart from ear position then i comb filtering shouldn't be an issue but if so then couldnt i still do multichannel surround which is still basically the left rear gets the same signal as the left front and same via right side. then i could do audyssey and it would correct the timing right?
Best of luck with that.

comb-filter-diagram.gif
post #15 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Why don't you just buy an AVR that supports height or wide channels and then run your music in multi channel mode?

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #16 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Or better yet, why not learn to be satisfied with the soundstage that the recording engineer mixed in the first place. What most of us are trying to do is to reproduce well what the musicians and engineers produced. Why is that not an acceptable goal?
post #17 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FMW, i heard something i liked so i'm going for it. it's that simple. every dynamic speaker i have heard created a very similar panoramic like image except for the Theils. The martin logan electro's also have added height to the sound and that's due to the large panels. I don't remember liking them though. i appreciated them but the cm9's were speaking to me and Logan's were missing some of the magic

post #18 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You say that i'm not satisfied with the soundstage the engineers intended? what does that mean? i'm not trying to alter the digital image or the music. if anything i'm trying to alter the speaker by making 1 out of 2.
Are you trolling me

post #19 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FMW, i heard something i liked so i'm going for it. it's that simple. every dynamic speaker i have heard created a very similar panoramic like image except for the Theils. The martin logan electro's also have added height to the sound and that's due to the large panels. I don't remember liking them though. i appreciated them but the cm9's were speaking to me and Logan's were missing some of the magic
Actually: the vertical off-axis on the ML panels is poor. ML's get their sound from being dipolar and from the nature of using an electro-static transducer.

What the large radiator does mean is that the rate of sound drop-off will be different; and that (mostly at HF) point-sourcing will be harder.

I personally am a big fan of the ML sound; but not the very small vertical sweet-spot, nor the increased dependency on room interaction.
post #20 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Jerrylove your picture is intimidating but what about normal stereo imaging? those waves cross intentionally.

post #21 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I too went for added height in my soundstage. Like others have suggested here, I did it with a Denon 4520. In fact, I'm using all 11.2 channels for heights and wide speakers. Using NEO:X it sounds outstanding. Mosey over to the 4520, X4000 or Audessey threads for more info ( and a lot of reading ). smile.gif

Martin Logan Motion 4 heights can be seen above the Motion 40 L / R speakers.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #22 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You say that i'm not satisfied with the soundstage the engineers intended? what does that mean? i'm not trying to alter the digital image or the music. if anything i'm trying to alter the speaker by making 1 out of 2.
Are you trolling me

Keep your shirt on.  The responses you are getting are reasonable and responsible.  You are not "making 1 out of 2" but, by spacing each vertical pair, you are creating two interacting sources which is what Jerry's picture illustrates, i.e., the interference between the outputs of the two speakers.  

No one is trolling you but you do not seem to understand the basic acoustics of the matter.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #23 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Keep your shirt on.  The responses you are getting are reasonable and responsible.  You are not "making 1 out of 2" but, by spacing each vertical pair, you are creating two interacting sources which is what Jerry's picture illustrates, i.e., the interference between the outputs of the two speakers.  

No one is trolling you but you do not seem to understand the basic acoustics of the matter.
+1. If you want to make '1 out of 2' they must be placed as I already said to work as one. Spaced apart they will not act as one, they will act as two, and will both assist and fight each other, depending on the frequency and the listener position. For speakers placed apart to work well together they must have different source material. That's how stereo works, as the most basic example, or the mentioned 11.2, as an extreme example.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #24 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Keep your shirt on.  The responses you are getting are reasonable and responsible.  

? no negativity here.

post #25 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

maybe i could have put an lol at the end of me asking if he was trolling me.

post #26 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I guess do whatever you want, but you asked for advice and many of our avs expert have said it would be a bad idea!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #27 of 30 Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i never said i neglected that. i obviously didn't understand what they were saying and thought possibly they didn't get what i was saying because to me, it seamed like it would work. They confirmed they understood and i never suggested anything after that.

I would like to try it for myself just to hear the effects just to have experienced it and try to understand it more.

post #28 of 30 Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I understand now that left and right signals must meet to create a stereo image and that what i was misunderstanding is that a left signal on top of a left signal (or right) that is the same will not blend but rather cause comb filtering

How does the audyssey neoX fix comb filtering? or does it not?

post #29 of 30 Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I understand now that left and right signals must meet to create a stereo image and that what i was misunderstanding is that a left signal on top of a left signal (or right) that is the same will not blend but rather cause comb filtering

How does the audyssey neoX fix comb filtering? or does it not?

The comb-filtering is the consequence of having the identical signals being emitted from both speakers.  AudysseyDSX and dts-neo modify the signals sent to the upper speakers so that they are not identical to those from the lower ones.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #30 of 30 Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gotcha

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page