B&W ASW608 driven by Marantz AV7701 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I would like some help with the set-up of my B&W ASW608 sub, which is connected to the AV7701 Marantz Prepro (via a forked RCA-to-2RCA cable --- since the sub has two RCA inputs). Every guide I've read recommends that before running the Audyssey set-up I should set the volume(line) of the sub half-way up. However, even setting it to 40% it starts to hum and sounds like it is being overdriven (the volume of the hum increases proportionally to the line-volume setting). In the end, I set the volume to 20% and on top of that Audyssey calibrated to –7.5dB. This is the setting I am using now.

So, is the Marantz too powerful for the ASW608? Is there danger of destroying my sub? I have recently had the sub's faulty amp replaced (it is known to burn out after a few years), and that cost me a lot of money.

Thanks,
Aris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Setting the sub's gain control at the half-way point is just the starting point. You have to check the trim level that Audyssey set its subwoofer output to. If it's pegged at -12dB, then you need to turn the sub's gain control even further. (Audyssey turned down its subwoofer output as far as it could but the subwoofer was still too loud.) Then run Audyssey again. While checking the trim levels, you only need to calibrate using the first microphone position. You don't need to run all eight positions until you're satisfied that the speaker trims are all OK.

If you haven't already, please take the time to read the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993 It answers your subwoofer gain question as well as many others. The instructions in the pre/pro's manual are woefully inadequate.

Selden
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page