I'm faced with a timbre quandry... Audio pros help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I just started watching movies, and found out what all this surround sound business is about :D.  It's pretty sweet, especially LOTR and the new Batmans.  I can't believe I only listened to music for so many years.  However, I found a hole in my system.  My center channel.  It just doesn't accurately reproduce voices, and is the worst component of my system. 

I started to look for a replacement, but was told I'm going to run into timbre issues (mismatched sound with my fronts) and have also been told i'll be just fine with a little tweaking.  If I buy a new center that accurately does voices, will It still sound out of place?  Because then I'm just adding speakers to my already large collection, and back at square one.  If I have to get rid of my speakers, that's o.k., but I really like them, if I can get away with spending $320 or so instead of $1650 that's a lot easier on my wallet.

Also, this is the center I'm thinking about, as it matches the Bravus 12 sub i'm getting

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers-by-type/center-channel-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5c-center-channel-speaker

And if I have to bite the bullet, I'm looking at 3 sets of these for center, front, and surrounds, just go for the gold, and have an easily balanced system, IF I have to get stuff that matches.

http://www.crystalaudiovideo.com/ProductCatalog/Speakers/Floorstanding/TX.aspx

Any advice? Thoughts? Winning lotto numbers?

Sandman 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 92
16-20-24-39-42 46

(Unfortunately, that one's already been paid out.)
sandydankness likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post

Any advice?
You need to match the center with the mains, not the sub. You can only 'tweak' a center if you have DSP capable of independently setting the frequency response of the centers and mains.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I just started watching movies, and found out what all this surround sound business is about biggrin.gif .  It's pretty sweet, especially LOTR and the new Batmans.  I can't believe I only listened to music for so many years.  However, I found a hole in my system.  My center channel.  It just doesn't accurately reproduce voices, and is the worst component of my system. 

I started to look for a replacement, but was told I'm going to run into timbre issues (mismatched sound with my fronts) and have also been told i'll be just fine with a little tweaking.  If I buy a new center that accurately does voices, will It still sound out of place?  Because then I'm just adding speakers to my already large collection, and back at square one.  If I have to get rid of my speakers, that's o.k., but I really like them, if I can get away with spending $320 or so instead of $1650 that's a lot easier on my wallet.

Also, this is the center I'm thinking about, as it matches the Bravus 12 sub i'm getting
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers-by-type/center-channel-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5c-center-channel-speaker

And if I have to bite the bullet, I'm looking at 3 sets of these for center, front, and surrounds, just go for the gold, and have an easily balanced system, IF I have to get stuff that matches.

Any advice? Thoughts? Winning lotto numbers?

Sandman 
What speakers do you currently have? What receiver are you driving them with? Can you post pictures of your room and how the speakers are installed, as well as a picture of your listening position?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:

I just started watching movies, and found out what all this surround sound business is about biggrin.gif .  It's pretty sweet, especially LOTR and the new Batmans.  I can't believe I only listened to music for so many years.  However, I found a hole in my system.  My center channel.  It just doesn't accurately reproduce voices, and is the worst component of my system. 

Are you saying that your L&R speakers do reproduce voices with sufficient accuracy, but as a voice moves to center stage from L or R, it turns to mush or garbage?
Quote:
I started to look for a replacement, but was told I'm going to run into timbre issues (mismatched sound with my fronts) and have also been told i'll be just fine with a little tweaking.

I think I've solved the problem of LCR matching which is one of those holy grails of audio. My LCR speakers are all the same make and model which does a good job with voice, music and EFX, all oriented the same, all in comparable acoustical contexts, and all optimized by Audyssey. Of course this took a little strategizing. ;-)

The point here is not "Be like me", but rather: "If you aren't doing all of these things, the thing(s) you are not doing is/are probably holding you back. Only you really know what that is because only you are there. But, those are my guidelines for good surround sound. Hope this helps!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29

Bill-I'm referring visually, not acoustically.  I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

Craig, Old school studio monitors, can't remember model off hand.  Reciever is a yamaha, again can't remember model off hand but I know it's 120 watts/channel for sure.  Wish I could take a pic or draw, but I dont' have a camera or a scanner.  I don't even have a computer, i'm using my friends right now.

Arnyk- Yes, that is exactly what's happening.  There is a distinct moment where voices just don't sound right when it pans through the center, but it sounds good from one side or the other.  And I believe my question is answered, as I was planning on buying 6 identical towers if just a new center wouldn't work, So that way it's uniform and easy to adjust from now on.  Guess I just have to bite the bullet.  Guess I'll just have some more speakers in the basement.

Jim the woofer guy told me the same thing, but others have steered me away, just wanted more opinions.  Guess Jim's right as per usual.

Does anyone have a better Idea for 550 a set towers?  Because these look great

Sandman

post #7 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I heard you have a timber problem.

"Grain pattern density determines strength. As you'd expect, a piece of lumber with a tight pattern is stronger than one with a loose grain pattern. And when building, a board's strength is maximized when other pieces run across the grain pattern - not parallel to it.'

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #8 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Just for fun, and because it's completely free to try, turn off your center and let the AVR phantom it. See what that does for you. That helped me on some rooms quite a bit.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page