Please critique my choices for new setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a few weeks of research, I think I've settled on the speakers and receiver for my newly-finished basement rec room. Please have a look and critique.

Room size is 19x20x8. I'd like to stay around this total price range for this setup, but my budget is somewhat flexible (probably +/- $200).

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1000

Front: BIC America Venturi DV64

Center: BIC America DV-62CLRS

Rear: BIC America Venturi DV62si

Sub: BIC PL-200 Acoustech

I think these will sound great, but my main concern is towers vs. bookshelves for the fronts. Is this too much? I've never bought towers before and these come highly recommended.

It's been a while since I've bought speakers, when we moved into this house 8 years ago I received a Bose Acoustimass 6 set as a housewarming gift to put into the living room. High WAF for an area that everyone sees, and semi-OK sound, and the price was right. But now I want something better for my basement, and the wife is more open to towers.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Too tired to think of a witty sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Just as an alternative to consider in roughly the same price range, Newegg has gotten back in stock the Polk Monitor 60. Last week, they were on sale for $99 each. Wouldn't be surprised if they are on sale again in the next few weeks (Newegg often put these on sale when in stock). Not saying that they are necessarily better, but another popular choice on AVS in that budget range.

As for the sub, (a) there is no reason to match the sub brand with the speakers and (b) that's a big space, and the PL-200 might be underwhelming at high volumes. I would suggest putting any additional budget toward dual PL-200s or dual of something equivalent.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM
GTZ

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

As for the sub, (a) there is no reason to match the sub brand with the speakers and (b) that's a big space, and the PL-200 might be underwhelming at high volumes. I would suggest putting any additional budget toward dual PL-200s or dual of something equivalent.

X2. That's alot of cubic feet and IMHO 2 subs will give you a much better listening experience.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

(a) there is no reason to match the sub brand with the speakers and (b) that's a big space, and the PL-200 might be underwhelming at high volumes. I would suggest putting any additional budget toward dual PL-200s or dual of something equivalent.

Agree with both points, this happened to be a well-rated sub in my price range. I may start with the one and add a second if I feel the need.

Out of curiosity, what single sub would fill that space well without breaking the bank, if that's possible?

Thanks for the feedback, both of you.

Too tired to think of a witty sig.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltwalrus View Post

Agree with both points, this happened to be a well-rated sub in my price range. I may start with the one and add a second if I feel the need.

Out of curiosity, what single sub would fill that space well without breaking the bank, if that's possible?

Thanks for the feedback, both of you.

PA 150 it doesn't have much below 30hz. But above that it rivals many $1000 subs for output.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
 Room size is 19x20x8. I'd like to stay around this total price range for this setup, but my budget is somewhat flexible (probably +/- $200).

I can't say I know very much about your choice of speakers but here are some general thoughts to keep in mind when putting together a system.

1. Towers over bookshelves for L and R channels. That's not to say that there are not good bookshelves out there because there are plenty of them. But over all if there is a set of towers in the same line as the bookshelves I would normally look seriously at the towers if your space allows (but there exceptions to every rule).

2. Get the best center channel you can that is timbre matched to the L and R channels. Those three channels together account for most of the sound in the movies you watch.

3. Get the best AVR you can afford with what you have left after you find the best speakers you can afford (edited). This will future proof you (or at the very least it will usually buy you a little more time before upgraditis infects you).

4. Get the best subwoofer for your money. In my opinion this means looking at the id companies (SVS, PSA, HSU, Rythmik, and Outlaw). They are by far the best bang for your buck. 

You have 3000+ cu ft in your rec room, that's a good size space to pressurize for adequate bass. I would suggest looking at the offerings of the companies listed above. Especially since people are pointing you to going dual subs due to the space you have. You might find a single sub from PSA, HSU, Rythmik or SVS would provide more bass than dual BIC subs. Don't hesitate to email any of those ID companies and ask for help. They have great customer service. 

That being said, dual subs tend to be better than a single sub in any room for smoothing out the bass across the listening positions. So if possible, I suggest going dual subs from one of these id companies. However, there is a limit to every budget so you have to weigh every choice against your budget. That's the challenging part of putting together any system. Good luck and have fun with it. 

post #7 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I agree, except on one point. Get the cheapest Avr that has the power and features you need. A great Avr and crappy speakers will sound like crap. Spend as much of your budget on speakers and sub as possible. In 3-5 years, your Avr may well be obsolete...
Hopinater likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I agree, except on one point. Get the cheapest Avr that has the power and features you need. A great Avr and crappy speakers will sound like crap. Spend as much of your budget on speakers and sub as possible. In 3-5 years, your Avr may well be obsolete...

Good point and I agree, I should have stated "the best AVR you can afford with what you have left after you find the best speakers you can afford". I think I may edit my list to say that. Thanks for the crucial catch.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page