212 or 228 for LCR - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
The buzz around the upcoming JTR "full rangers" could mean there'll be several 212HT's on the used market for you too. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Surrounds: The stock answer would be JTR Single8's or Slanted8's. But at $900 each, that can be a bit of a hit when building a system from scratch. A more affordable option are the JBL 8320's at $500 a pair. These are easy to mount, sensitive, 8 Ohm speakers. They have a horn loaded CD, so they will be a reasonable timbre match for JTR's. They are also THX certified, which is no mean achievement.

At half about a quarter the price of JTR surround options, the JBL's just might be the stepping stone that allows your budget to extend to the 212's for the L(C?)R or get that second Rythmik a bit sooner. Both of these aspects are far more important than surrounds IMO. As your multichannel music collection grows over time, that would be the time to consider upgraded surrounds.

Edit

I've seen the 8320s referred a few times as having a CD but they do not. It has a 1 in soft dome horn loaded tweeter. I don't think it's a good choice pairing these with mains that have a CD. A better choice would be the 8340s with the wooden enclosure. They use a horn loaded CD with a 10in woofer. I use the new 8340a's as surrounds that have the hard plastic enclosure. I bought them used from a cinema with the mounts for $400 for the pair.
GIEGAR likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #63 of 70 Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Quote:

Surrounds: The stock answer would be JTR Single8's or Slanted8's. But at $900 each, that can be a bit of a hit when building a system from scratch. A more affordable option are the JBL 8320's at $500 a pair. These are easy to mount, sensitive, 8 Ohm speakers. They have a horn loaded CD, so they will be a reasonable timbre match for JTR's. They are also THX certified, which is no mean achievement.

At half about a quarter the price of JTR surround options, the JBL's just might be the stepping stone that allows your budget to extend to the 212's for the L(C?)R or get that second Rythmik a bit sooner. Both of these aspects are far more important than surrounds IMO. As your multichannel music collection grows over time, that would be the time to consider upgraded surrounds.

Edit

I've seen the 8320s referred a few times as having a CD but they do not. It has a 1 in soft dome horn loaded tweeter. I don't think it's a good choice pairing these with mains that have a CD. A better choice would be the 8340s with the wooden enclosure. They use a horn loaded CD with a 10in woofer. I use the new 8340a's as surrounds that have the hard plastic enclosure. I bought them used from a cinema with the mounts for $400 for the pair.

Thanks Reddig, I appreciate the correction. I was just going by the description on the linked B&H page, but should have checked the JBLPro spec sheet. (I submitted feedback to B&H.)

I'll be sure to suggest the 8340's in future. Do you have any idea of what they retail for?
post #64 of 70 Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Reddig, I appreciate the correction. I was just going by the description on the linked B&H page, but should have checked the JBLPro spec sheet. (I submitted feedback to B&H.)

I'll be sure to suggest the 8340's in future. Do you have any idea of what they retail for?
Hey no prob GIEGAR. They have them on fullcompass.com for $546 a piece and they only sell them in pairs plus you'd need to buy mounts too which are about $20 a piece. I believe I've seen the 8340a's cheaper somewhere else but I can't recall where.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #65 of 70 Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Hey no prob GIEGAR. They have them on fullcompass.com for $546 a piece and they only sell them in pairs plus you'd need to buy mounts too which are about $20 a piece. I believe I've seen the 8340a's cheaper somewhere else but I can't recall where.

Only way you will find 8340's is on the used market. I like them better than the plastic boxes of the 8340A's. I have six 8340's for surrounds in my HT. Still need to install one pair.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #66 of 70 Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Only way you will find 8340's is on the used market. I like them better than the plastic boxes of the 8340A's. I have six 8340's for surrounds in my HT. Still need to install one pair.
I agree. I was on the lookout for 8340s until I ran across a deal on a pair of used 8340a's and went with them.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #67 of 70 Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Finally I have received my gear, JTR 228 HT and PSA XS30.Still Waiting for the slanted 8s, should get them by Wednesday.

XS 30s are pretty big..

I weren't able to figure out which 228 ht is the center channel, I have asked Jeff to turn the tweeter. IMAG0797.jpg 604k .jpg file

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0797.jpg (603.8 KB, 24 views)

Denon 4520 CI
JTR 228 x 3
JTR Slanted 8 x 2
PSA XS30 x 2
post #68 of 70 Old 12-15-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgorder View Post

Finally I have received my gear, JTR 228 HT and PSA XS30.Still Waiting for the slanted 8s, should get them by Wednesday.
XS 30s are pretty big..

I weren't able to figure out which 228 ht is the center channel, I have asked Jeff to turn the tweeter. IMAG0797.jpg 604k .jpg file

I had my wife and two other buddies over and non of use could figure out which one was the center channel by looking at the horns....lol

Finally I just unscrewed the horns to see which way the CD's where, took all of a 1min to do that plus it was really cool to see inside the enclosures and get an up close look at how well these speakers are made.

How are you liking the dual XS30's so far?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #69 of 70 Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I had my wife and two other buddies over and non of use could figure out which one was the center channel by looking at the horns....lol

Finally I just unscrewed the horns to see which way the CD's where, took all of a 1min to do that plus it was really cool to see inside the enclosures and get an up close look at how well these speakers are made.

How are you liking the dual XS30's so far?

thanks Jbrown, I will open them to figure it out.

I haven't hooked up the gear yet. I will update you soon.

Denon 4520 CI
JTR 228 x 3
JTR Slanted 8 x 2
PSA XS30 x 2
post #70 of 70 Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Subscribing

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page