Upgrade of Klipsch Quintet system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Quintet setup with a Klipsch 450 sub for a few years now. Reciever is a Yamaha with 70 RMS. I have been wanting to start upgrading for a while and with Black Friday coming the Icon KF-26's will be once again on sale for 50% off.

Any recommendations on upgrading to the floorstanders now with my 70 watt receiver. I can get the 2 floorstanders for 175 each. I know the KF's are rated at 100W and I only have 70. I know the KF's are 6db more sensitive and I could turn the levels down on them at first.

Any thoughts on this upgrade path.

Current setup
Receiver Yamaha RX-V475
Speakers Klipsch Quintet
Sub Klipsch SW-450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I personally would go with a pair of the Klipsch RB-51 II, it will run you about the same price, but the Reference series is much better than the Icons. I recommend bookshelves instead of towers because when paired with a sub, the end result is essentially the same. Your receiver will set a crossover for your speakers, and since subs do a better job with bass, the benefit of towers (lower extension) is a moot point.

Klipsch speakers have good sensitivities, and your receiver will have more than enough power. I think going with the Reference series would be a more significant upgrade for you. Later on add the matching center and you can keep your current Quintets as surrounds for 5.1 or even 7.1.
Kini62 likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see setups with towers and the subs all day.. If towers were not needed then why would I see setups with 2 towers, center, LR surrounds and the sub? I understand your point but I guess this is where my inexperience comes in.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Some people prefer the look of towers. In some cases, mainly with budget speakers, the cost of stands sometimes is the difference between a bookshelf and tower, so people opt for the towers. I am sure peope think they sound much better, but a good sub and bookshelf system will perform just as well.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I personally would go with a pair of the Klipsch RB-51 II, it will run you about the same price, but the Reference series is much better than the Icons. I recommend bookshelves instead of towers because when paired with a sub, the end result is essentially the same. Your receiver will set a crossover for your speakers, and since subs do a better job with bass, the benefit of towers (lower extension) is a moot point.

Klipsch speakers have good sensitivities, and your receiver will have more than enough power. I think going with the Reference series would be a more significant upgrade for you. Later on add the matching center and you can keep your current Quintets as surrounds for 5.1 or even 7.1.

Crutchfield has the cherry RB61IIs for $399. Klipsch just also released to the US the new, old versions which include the RB-600 (RB61 version 1) for $399 a pair. Call AVS for their prices on Klipsch if you live in the continental US.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Sw 450 10 Inch 450watt Subwoofer Black , Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Klipsch Quintet Satellite Bookshelf Speaker Single Black Hg , Klipsch Rb 51 Ii Reference Series Ii Bookshelf Loudspeakers Black , Klipsch Rb 61 Ii Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Cherry
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page