Can somebody suggest a decent car audio speakers for bmw 520d ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Few months ago, I have purchased 2013 bmw 520d, f10, 5 series. FYI, I'm Korean and purchased here in korea.
I'm guessing naming would be different in countries, but hopefully the model would be the same.
And I'm considering upgrading car audio system to a better one, for one reason is that people say the basic speaker is crappy and see many people change their speakers into different ones. And I start to wonder what would be the most common upgrades for people who drives BMW? especially the model I'm driving.
I've been to some car audio shops, but can't decide primarily because I can't trust their explanation and price. They might just promote the speaker they have and might put on a extremely high price on it. Therefore, i need your help.
If you have any of your friends driving similar or same car and has upgraded their speaker system into a better one. I would like to know what system they had upgraded into and how much they had spent on it.
Help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 AM
PCD

Liked: 19
I used to be involved in fairly high end car audio. My last project involved 3 amplifiers, 2 sets of front components, rear speakers (for fill only) and dual 12" subs.

One thing I will tell you is when you start getting in to GOOD speakers, like front components, 2 way or 3 way in the $600.00 range (and up) they have very different sound characteristics and it may be difficult, but the best way is to listen to them if possible.

Focal is my preferred brand. Some folks find them a little bright, but at this price range they usually come with an adjustable crossover.

You will probably have to change the deck as well. In general, the factory stereo is weak and will not drive higher end speakers very well. Just throwing new speakers in the car will not work out well for you.

When choosing an amplifier, look at the number and size of the fuses. if a 1000 watt amp has one 20 amp fuse, it is not 1000 watts. It should have 3 or 4 30 amp fuses.

Make sure you take the car to a GOOD shop. I can only imagine all the electronics connected to a 2013 BMW.

I;m sure someone will mention this, but this forum is not really what you are looking for. There are MANY large car audio forums and you will have much better luck on them.

Best of luck with your project.

Evil Sysadmin

post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
PCD / thank you for your generous and kind reply. I appreciate it, and can you recommend any sites or forum where i can find reviews for this matter?
So purchasing speakers based on reputation or reviews would be risky? In korea, there arent many car audio shops and i cant actually trust them.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
I think you would do best asking this on a board dedicated to BMW 5-series vehicles. There are several.

I'm assuming for some reason you don't want to upgrade to BMW's B&O system? Are you starting from the Logic 7 base, or the base setup?

http://www.bavsound.com/product/734/174/BSW-Stage-I-Audio-Upgrade-for-BMW-5-Series--M5-Sedan-10-F10/

As to specific forums.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php?s=9beb792f5f326e40cc73a2dcfcd23376

I'm sure there's an enthusiast site specifically for the F10, but as I have the E60, I'm not familiar with which one would be recommended.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page