Help newbie choosing PC speakers - budget $1000 - $1500 - what's the best bang for buck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys, I've been reading forums and with all the information I've begun to get a bit overwhealmed and confused (e.g. active monitors / bookshelf speakers / seperate dac / amp) so have decided to seek specific advice.  Will try to be as detailed and concise as possible.

Situation: Seeking speaker upgrade for desktop in large bedroom . Best I can get for the money.

Budget: $1000 - but will go higher if need be (I am in Australia).

Usage: 50% movies, 40% music, 10% games.

Computer specs: ASRock Extreme 6 motherboard, Asus Xonar DX soundcard; plenty of RAM, plenty of desk space.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'd probably go with a set of active speakers and just " audio out " from the Xonar. Probably no need for a processor or DAC since that sound card already has a decent DAC. Brands to look at are KRK ( Rokit ), Behringer ( Truth ), Adam Audio ( A5x, A7x, A8x ), and Genelec. Speakers with drivers under 7" will probably need a sub-woofer for movies with the usual brands being SVS, HSU, and PSA. I highly recommend the Emotiva Airmotiv or Stealth line of active monitors, but they are hard to come by for folks in Oz.

My 2-channel PC-only setup consists of Airmotiv 5 with SVS SB-1000 sub and a DC-1 DAC because my only other option is on-board RealTek audio.

KRK or Behringer plus SVS SB-1000 is certainly doable under $1000 but Adam and Genelec will cost you more.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Welome to AVS mate!

I reckon these are great bang for buck and well worth checking out:

Currently $500 each (shipped) here: http://www.soundcorp.com.au/krk-rokit-10-3-studio-monitor-each-free-shipping.html
post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks so much for the help guys. You helped to clear things up for me. Giegar, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Rokits you linked to above but at the last minute I found a set of JBL LSR4328P 8" Active Monitors on sale for $1200 and went for them.

For the time being I'll be running them off my Xonar DG soundcard.

Good or bad decision? I don't know. It was more than I budgeted for and perhaps the Rokits would have been a better choice but atleast I've made a choice. And I want to thank both of you for helping me make a choice.

PS. Great avatar Giegar. 8 str8 m8!

post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Nothing wrong with those JBL speakers. They can be networked and EQed using your computer and a microphone, which is perfect for a PC-based studio setup.

The Xonar DG is fine. Only reason I'm running a DAC is because I can't fit an audio card in my little system.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #6 of 6 Old 11-28-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by speaktome View Post

Thanks so much for the help guys. You helped to clear things up for me. Giegar, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Rokits you linked to above but at the last minute I found a set of JBL LSR4328P 8" Active Monitors on sale for $1200 and went for them.

For the time being I'll be running them off my Xonar DG soundcard.

Good or bad decision? I don't know. It was more than I budgeted for and perhaps the Rokits would have been a better choice but atleast I've made a choice. And I want to thank both of you for helping me make a choice.

PS. Great avatar Giegar. 8 str8 m8!

No worries. As they say: "You have done very well Grasshopper!" biggrin.gif

Funny, I actually saw the JBL's here when looking for an Oz e-tailer who stocked Rokits. I thought they looked outstanding - the direct digital inputs particularly caught my eye for your application. But I passed on them because of the $2000 ask. Good decision and a great price. Perhaps the matching sub further down the track? This looks very impressive: http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/LSR4300brochurelow.pdf

From your comment on my avatar, I take it you're a Queenslander too? I like that tagline! biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page