Def Tech 8020 vs Polk RTi A7 vs Energy CF 70? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Through my work I can get some pretty nice discounts on a few audio companies. I'm looking to get myself a new pair of floor-standing speakers mostly for music, but they'll definitely get used for movies as well. I mostly listen to rock, ska, indie, alternative/punk, and folk.

So, assuming the price is about the same across the board, which of the following would you go for:

-Definitive Technology BP-8020ST
-Polk RTI A7
-Energy CF 70

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

I'll start off by saying that speakers are very subjective pieces of equipment so I suggest that if at all possible, demo each of these.

Okay, that said, I have not heard very much positive regarding the Energy CF70s, in that they are said to be bright but I don't know from personal experience. So personally I would avoid them until I heard them. (Edited).

I actually own the RTi-a7s so I can speak specifically to them. I have heard some people call them bright in certain reviews and I have always scratched my head at this because I have never found that to be the case. For the price, the Polks are a decent speaker and I was able to get them at $600 for the pair so I'm very happy with them at that price. They are a good tower speaker (not great) but if you can get them at a reduced price then I think you will be happy.

But, The Def Techs are most likely the best option of the three and I would seriously consider these if I had the room for them. Remember though the Def Techs are a bipole design so they have front and rear firing speakers which mean they usually sound better when given room away from the wall, usually more room than required by normal towers. They also have a built in subwoofer and that means a lot of cords and wires coming out the the rear of the speakers. 

All in all I think I would pass on the Energy and then compare the Polks and Def Techs realizing that they are very different designs. Ideally I would really want to hear all three and decide. 

post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton for the helpful answer! I've heard the Def Tech 8040s and was very impressed by them, but at the same time I haven't been able to find somewhere to hear any of the RTis and am a big fan of Polk in general.
I've also got plenty of space to fool with in terms of placement so that won't be an issue with the bi-polar-ness of the Def Techs, plus I conveniently have wall outlets right where I plan on placing the towers.
I seem to be finding a lot more reviews of the RTis online, but the few that I've found of the 8020s are very good. I'm gonna stop by a Best Buy Magnolia store this weekend to check out the Def Tech BPs again and hopefully convince myself that they're the way to go.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

If you like Polks in general then you will most likely be happy with the RTi-a7s so if for some reason you can't convince yourself to go with the Def Techs or you decide you don't like them then I think the Polks are a good option. At a reduced rate I would jump on either of the speakers. 

Have fun shopping around, its part of the fun. :)

post #6 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I'm going to guess that the Polks would have a better mid-range and more mid bass punch just based on the size of the cabinet and number of drivers.

The 8020 has only 3.5" drivers for the mids and has only a single 8" (although powered) woofer. I demoed the 8040 and thought they sounded pretty good, although they had a kind of a 3d effect that was bothersome with certain music.

Also the Polks look very nice. Real wood at that price level is rare.

Fry's carries the RTiA series if you have one nearby.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
I'll start off by saying that speakers are very subjective pieces of equipment so I suggest that if at all possible, demo each of these.

Okay, that said, I have not heard very much positive regarding the Energys. So personally I would avoid them.

You must not have visited the Energy Owners thread....they make some very good speakers and have their share of fans.

I've owned and still own several different Energy speakers and would definitely take my RC-70's over the Polk RTiA7 but speaker preference is subjective. The speakers mentioned here are the CF-70's which are brighter sounding than the RC series. Sounds like you prefer a brighter speaker though.

As mentioned by somebody else the best way to decide is for the OP to audition the speakers himself if possible. The problem with the Energy line now is since the ownership by Klipsch and now Audiovox they seem to have discontinued the RC, Veritas and CF series so finding a complete set to fill up a system might be difficult.

I think the CF-70 would better for home theater than stereo because of the brightness. I feel that way about Polk too but the RTiA speakers are better than the Monitor/TSi Polk speakers.

Never heard the Def Tech 8020 so can't give any input on those. They are bipolar though which might be a disadvantage for stereo music.

Afro GT
post #8 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You must not have visited the Energy Owners thread....they make some very good speakers and have their share of fans.

I've owned and still own several different Energy speakers and would definitely take my RC-70's over the Polk RTiA7 but speaker preference is subjective. The speakers mentioned here are the CF-70's which are brighter sounding than the RC series. Sounds like you prefer a brighter speaker though.

Yeah when I said Energys I meant specifically the speakers he was referencing in the OP, the CF 70s in that I had heard they were bright (just as you mentioned). I wasn't referring to any other speakers by Energy.

I kept all my comments focused on the three specific models of speakers he mentioned because he said he could get them for a good discount and I assumed there was no reason to broaden the discussion. I guess I should have been more specific, didn't mean to make Energy owners feel like I was attacking their brand. I'm aware that the Energy makes good speakers and I certainly was not disparaging the entire brand (but judging from your post you thought I was). I was just trying to point out that I had not heard much positive about the CF 70s.

And as you can see I did start my post by pointing out that he should not listen to anyone, he should demo the brands for himself. So I apologize if you felt I took a cheap shot at your Energys, I'm sure they are very good. :) 

post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I know that the op specify on the thread tittle CF-70 ,but your reply looks like you were talking about energy brand in general.The Energy RC was one of the top selling energy speakers, is the favorite speaker in the energy thread.I used to own then and I miss their sound frown.gif.

The CF have a crisp tweeter if you like crisp sound you may like then, see if you can audition all this speakers before buying.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I know that the op specify on the thread tittle CF-70 ,but your reply looks like you were talking about energy brand in general.The Energy RC was one of the top selling energy speakers, is the favorite speaker in the energy thread.I used to own then and I miss their sound frown.gif.

Good point, I see that now so I have edited that post to identify the CF70 specifically, and I threw in a qualifier. That's what happens when you don't take time to explain the thoughts running through your head, my bad. 

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Rti A7 Floorstanding Speaker , Definitive Technology Bp 8020st Ea Bipolar Tower With Built In Powered Subwoofer Each , Energy Cf 70 Floor Standing Speaker Black
Gear in this thread - 8020st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page