5.1 Speaker selections: 5 bookshelfs VS. 2 towers, 3 bookshelfs? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

Didn't you say the JTR 228s were superior to the Klipsch RF-7iis?

Edit: If I go with Klipsch, I'm only interested in the top of the line RF-7iis.

That dealer just quoted me:
$3795 delivered
RF-7II One Pair
RC-64II One Each
RS-62II One Pair

I felt they were after comparing them for myself.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Superior in what way?those klipsch look beautiful and there is a slightly differences here and there. Superior to me sound exaggerate.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #183 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Didn't you say the JTR 228s were superior to the Klipsch RF-7iis?

Edit: If I go with Klipsch, I'm only interested in the top of the line RF-7iis.

That dealer just quoted me:
$3795 delivered
RF-7II One Pair
RC-64II One Each
RS-62II One Pair

What may help you decide is to ask if anyone owns or has owned this particular speaker. If they still own them get their opinion on performance. If not why did they get rid of them and what did they replace it with? What do they think about their New speakers compared to the one they replaced?

Chris
post #184 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wellp..... here's an update to my audio quest:

I ordered:

1. Denon AVR X-4000
  2. Klipsch RF-7ii mains
  3. Klipsch RC-64ii center

I ran out of money I can comfortably spend now. frown.gif

Plan to add later/soon:
  • Power conditioner
  • Emotiva Amp
  • Klipsch Rear speakers
  • 1-2 Subwoofers (HSU, SVS, etc)

I have not traditionally loved Klipsch, but I've never heard their good stuff. ( Ive only heard the low-end junk. ) The RF-7iis are supposed to be great....especially for home theater, which is probably my focus. The black friday prices spurred me to action! If hate them, I guess I'll have to return them or sell them.

Do you guys think I made ok decisions? Is this the start of a killer home theater?
post #185 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Most forum members would say that Klipsch are good, quality speakers. The only caveat would be that unlike many speakers which are more neutral, the Klipsch have a distinct sound signature so hearing/auditioning them first is often recommended.

There are lots of forum members really like the Klipsch sound wink.gif
post #186 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Well done Landy and congratulations!

I've never heard the big boy Klipsch Reference, but read often that people reckon they're a knockout for HT. The X4000 is the current sweet spot in AVR's with XT32 + SubEQHT for under <$1K. Unbelievable features/performance for the price.

With respect to the plan going forward, I would completely jettison the idea of the power conditioner and the amp. Complete waste of money IMO - particularly the amp. I'd plough that money into high quality dual subs. That would be killer! I usually recommend Rythmik, but others like SVS, PSA and Hsu are also solid. For your size room, I'd go for dual for F25's (my pick) or FV15HP's. Rythmik is "just up the road" in Austin too.

After that, with your size of room (20' length), I think you'd get worthwhile benefits out of a pair of rear speakers as well. Perhaps two pairs of the RF-52II's?

Onwards and upwards! Good luck! smile.gif
post #187 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I been reading your posts and from the very first page the jtr hasn't caught your attention. Why drive the jtr enthusiasts back and forward?klipsch have a signature sound like many, many other speakers ...like jtr too. That's why we cant mixmatch from soundstage because all speaker line or brand have a different timbre.

Both are HT speakers. I will be happy with either one for that duty.but the klipsch look more appealing for living room.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #188 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Well done Landy and congratulations!

I've never heard the big boy Klipsch Reference, but read often that people reckon they're a knockout for HT. The X4000 is the current sweet spot in AVR's with XT32 + SubEQHT for under <$1K. Unbelievable features/performance for the price.

With respect to the plan going forward, I would completely jettison the idea of the power conditioner and the amp. Complete waste of money IMO - particularly the amp. I'd plough that money into high quality dual subs. That would be killer! I usually recommend Rythmik, but others like SVS, PSA and Hsu are also solid. For your size room, I'd go for dual for F25's (my pick) or FV15HP's. Rythmik is "just up the road" in Austin too.

After that, with your size of room (20' length), I think you'd get worthwhile benefits out of a pair of rear speakers as well. Perhaps two pairs of the RF-52II's?

Onwards and upwards! Good luck! smile.gif

Do you feel like the X-4000 is capable of driving that many tower speakers at once? If it is.... wouldnb't a beastly Emotiva amp asssert even more control and finesse over the sound? I already have friends saying to invest in bigger amps for the RF-7iis!

I plan to get dual subs, and then maybe some mini Klipsch reference towers for surrounds.... maybe like the RF-52iis or something. Are the 52s known to be good surrounds? Or maybe the RF-62iis?

If I end up hating the "bright" or "unique" sound of the RF-7iis, I will prolly sell all the speakers and stay away from Klipsch.
post #189 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I been reading your posts and from the very first page the jtr hasn't caught your attention. Why drive the jtr enthusiasts back and forward?klipsch have a signature sound like many, many other speakers ...like jtr too. That's why we cant mixmatch from soundstage because all speaker line or brand have a different timbre.

Both are HT speakers. I will be happy with either one for that duty.but the klipsch look more appealing for living room.

I decided i want a speaker with some "muscle", which will be awesome for home theater. I don't want some lifeless, flat, perfect sounding speaker that is only good for music.... I want something exciting. I don't know of many brands that meet that criteria except Klipsch and JTR.

I am still interested in JTR.

However,
A) The 228 speakers seem way more expensive than I can really afford. They start at $1200 each, and add cost for stands and veneers.
B) The current appearance/veneers don't look that great for a living room.
C) I could never get a hold of the company, and it was pissing me off.

Klipsch seems to share the same philosophy as JTR, but have better looking designs. I primarily went this way because of the heavy discount i received today.
post #190 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 813
The RF7-II's are a great speaker, like I said earlier I felt that my 228HT's were just a little better. I thought they were a little better with clarity and detail and a little less bright when turned up loud. The only thing only I thought the RF7's were better at were the bass output, but didn't really mean much too me because I'm running my with good subs so I'm not lacking anything in the bass department.

But if I didn't know the 228HT's I could easily see myself being happy with the RF7-II's and RC-64 center channel.
I preferred the RF7-II's over the Paradigm Studio 100v5's I demoed for a week in my room too.

The RF7's are great speakers and I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #191 of 200 Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Landy, here's my suggestion for a great sounding, dynamic speaker system that looks decent (IMO!) and is relatively feline proof:

System from Ascend Acoustics / Rythmik Audio consisting:

Mains: Ascend CMT-340 SE Mini-tower Monitor X 2 with matching stands
Centre: Ascend CMT-340 SE Centre Channel
Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170 SE Bookshelf Monitor X 4 (rear ported; for away from wall use); or
Alternate surrounds: Ascend HTM-200 SE Home Theatre Monitor X 4 (sealed; for near or on-wall use)
Subs: Rythmik F15HP 15" High Output Servo Sub X 2

If you add all this to the cart it totals $3540 plus shipping.

A few notes on the above:

1. As you can see, the fronts are a monitor style or large bookshelf that can "look" like a tower with addition of the matching stands. The stands put the speaker grills at 24" high; the kitties would have to jump to snag them!
  2. I've included four surrounds in the price because I think the length of your room would make rears a worthwhile addition. It's your option. You can also mix & match the two surround alternatives. Please see my thoughts in post 105 about identical speakers and the priority of surrounds (ie. what I think makes sense).
  3. The Rythmik subs are truly top notch for performance an value IMO. I particularly like their adjustability and I'm a fan of the direct-servo technology. While you can order through Ascend for simplicity, AFAIK all subs are dispatched from Rythmik HQ in Austin.

Hope that helps in your search. Sing out if you have any questions. smile.gif

If you want me to lay out a JTR recommendation, I can do that for you too, but others are better qualified. biggrin.gif

I would Agree with this 100%. I have ascend towers and horizon center all with raals. And a f15hp rhythmik sub. They sound amazing but are probably overkill for my space which others have commented on. I am laying out a separate 9.2 surround room that is relatively space limited. I am going to do exactly what giegar said. Only I will
Probably use two f12lvr subs instead. My room is 11 feet deep, 8 feet high and 12 feet wide. Should be fun when it's done. But we need to finish the house reno first!! Good luck.
post #192 of 200 Old 11-30-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I hope I didn't make a stupid decision!

Like I said, my main goal is home theater, so that's why Klipsch appealed to me.

I bought this stuff primarily based on price! I could still return it and get something else in the same price range though.

I couldn't find any professional reviews on these speakers.... only lots of user-reviews on various sites. People seem to generally approve of these speakers, which is good, but it doesn't exactly help me compare them to their competition.

What concerns me now is 2 things:
1) I haven't listened and directly compared them to other speakers in their price range, so I don't know how well they will stack up.
2) I hope the trademark "Klipsch" sound doesn't annoy me, or my girlfriend. I fear it may sound too bright or harsh, based on what some audiophiles say. I haven't heard it, so I don't know!

Some people claim the RF-7iis are much less "Bright" than other lesser Klipsches, and what you're hearing is just accuracy. Others say they are tonally incorrect, and can give you headaches! I hope not!
post #193 of 200 Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:

Do you feel like the X-4000 is capable of driving that many tower speakers at once?

Tower speakers are easier to drive than bookshelf speakers.
Quote:
If it is.... wouldn't a beastly Emotiva amp asssert even more control and finesse over the sound?

Probably not.
Quote:
I already have friends saying to invest in bigger amps for the RF-7iis!

Should I assume that they know what they are doing and why?
post #194 of 200 Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Tower speakers are easier to drive than bookshelf speakers.
Oh? rolleyes.gif
Cvetan1 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #195 of 200 Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I hope I didn't make a stupid decision!

Like I said, my main goal is home theater, so that's why Klipsch appealed to me.

I bought this stuff primarily based on price! I could still return it and get something else in the same price range though.

I couldn't find any professional reviews on these speakers.... only lots of user-reviews on various sites. People seem to generally approve of these speakers, which is good, but it doesn't exactly help me compare them to their competition.

What concerns me now is 2 things:
1) I haven't listened and directly compared them to other speakers in their price range, so I don't know how well they will stack up.
2) I hope the trademark "Klipsch" sound doesn't annoy me, or my girlfriend. I fear it may sound too bright or harsh, based on what some audiophiles say. I haven't heard it, so I don't know!

Some people claim the RF-7iis are much less "Bright" than other lesser Klipsches, and what you're hearing is just accuracy. Others say they are tonally incorrect, and can give you headaches! I hope not!

I am sure you will be happy with them, especially once you have added a sub or 2. I do not have experience with them myself, but I have heard good things. Even if you feel they are too bright, Audyssey may take care of that with equalization.

I definitely agree that a good sub would be a better first purchase than an amp. Your receiver will have an easier time driving your speakers with the low frequency being sent to a sub. If you feel things are lacking at that point, then you could consider adding an amp.
post #196 of 200 Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

bill !! oh no! another bookshelf vs tower nooooooo....lol .

Landmonster

Do you know how heavy those klipsch towers are?

My recommendation, if you are not happy with the speakers,call ups to pick up those at your door.

post #197 of 200 Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

bill !! oh no! another bookshelf vs tower nooooooo....lol .

Landmonster

Do you know how heavy those klipsch towers are?

My recommendation, if you are not happy with the speakers,call ups to pick up those at your door.

I'm not concerned about their weight, I am a weightlifter. I'm concerned about how they sound.

I'm kind of wondering now if the klipsch THX system would be a better cboice for me. Does anyone have experience comparing the 2 systems?
post #198 of 200 Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Speaker A with single 10" driver + sub. XO at 100Hz.
Speaker B with single 6.5" driver + sub. XO at 120Hz.

Does the mains (left&right) plays a big role in delivering the mid bass punch (50-800Hz) if one set the crossover to 100Hz or higher, letting the subwoofer to do most of the job?
post #199 of 200 Old 12-01-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Does the mains (left&right) plays a big role in delivering the mid bass punch (50-800Hz) if one set the crossover to 100Hz or higher, letting the subwoofer to do most of the job?
The mains will only 'deliver' if they're receiving signal. If they're not getting 50Hz they won't deliver 50Hz. Setting subs higher than 100Hz, or higher than 80Hz for that matter, sends them directionally locatable content, which far more often that not you do not want.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #200 of 200 Old 12-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I'm not concerned about their weight, I am a weightlifter. I'm concerned about how they sound.

I'm kind of wondering now if the klipsch THX system would be a better cboice for me. Does anyone have experience comparing the 2 systems?

I do not have direct experience, but from reputation, the THX speakers may be a little better for movies. However, like the JTR's they may not look as good in a living room.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page