Speakers and Receiver - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
If you intend to watch movies a sub is practically a must but they also make a big difference with music. You dont have to get one now. Keep the 340s and save for a while. You also dont have to spend $500 for one. You can get a good one for about $350 if thats any help.
MistyLen likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyLen View Post

From what I am reading I can call Ascend Acoutics and change my order to the Sierra 1's and I wont need a subwoofer and that would be less clutter and far more cost effective.  Thank you.

I have the Sierra-1s, they still need a sub almost as much as the 340SEs do (or most any bookshelf style speaker, and even many floorstanders). Just depends if the bottom end is important to you or not; many are quite happy without one. That's why there was a winky smiliey there. A sub is a must for a great movie experience IMHO, but for music not so much (although I do prefer to have subs in my systems regardless). The 340SEs are slightly more sensitive, too, so will be easier to drive to quite loud levels even in your fairly good-sized room. Then again, I like bass. A lot. Ascend sells Rythmik subs which are quite nice but I'd wait until you really want one...use the speakers without first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

From what I am reading I can call Ascend Acoutics and change my order to the Sierra 1's and I wont need a subwoofer and that would be less clutter and far more cost effective.  Thank you.
You're probably jumping the gun there. The CMT 340 are good to 45Hz, and that covers what you need for music and all but the lowermost octave of movies, which your old speakers didn't cover either. The Sierra Tower only goes 10Hz lower, so it's not a replacement for a sub. If you decide later on to add a sub don't bother with anything that doesn't go to 25Hz.

FWIW Sierra Towers are different from Sierra-1s (as well as the about-to-be-released Sierra-2s), and the former are quite a bit more expensive and as you point out still don't dig all that deep (and I'd still use subs even with the Sierra Towers).

post #33 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The Sierra 1 bookshelf speakers are on a special right now for $798 for a pair and I found a Marantz SR6008 - Marantz factory refurbished with a two year warranty for $750 doesn't that seem like a good bang for the buck?  I hate to be sorry I didn't get better later when I am trying to add on...remember hubby can't hear well....I can hear a nat light.  I know I am being a pain but I really want to make a GREAT decision that I am happy about for years to come.

post #34 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
You do not need to spend $750 on a receiver - Marantz and Denon have the same owner.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #35 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Sierra 1 bookshelf speakers are on a special right now for $798 for a pair and I found a Marantz SR6008 - Marantz factory refurbished with a two year warranty for $750 doesn't that seem like a good bang for the buck?  I hate to be sorry I didn't get better later when I am trying to add on...remember hubby can't hear well....I can hear a nat light.  I know I am being a pain but I really want to make a GREAT decision that I am happy about for years to come.
I agree with zieglj. How much are you spending on the 1913?
I dont think you need the Sierra 1s either. Put the extra money toward a sub.

post #36 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

The Denon 1913 is $448 includes shipping.  If I hadn't found all of you I would still be getting a headache and having NO CLUE not that I really do now but I feel wiser on this subject than I did yesterday.  :-)

post #37 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well I can call them and change again....LOL  I already switched to the Sierra 1s.....I'm terrible I know....I bought new carpet a few months ago, I thought the lady at the store was going to kill me before that was over....I bought white carpet!  LOL  I was so worried I would want to change my colors and the carpet would not match that I bought white....it is funny unless you are married to me of course.

post #38 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Denon 1913 is $448 includes shipping.  If I hadn't found all of you I would still be getting a headache and having NO CLUE not that I really do now but I feel wiser on this subject than I did yesterday.  :-)
Glad to help.
And that 1913 is brand new. It will serve you well. With the money you dont spend on the Marantz and Sierra 1s you can get a good sub. With just a little more you can get a nice one. $500-$600 will get you a nice sub for that room.

post #39 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I can call them and change again....LOL  I already switched to the Sierra 1s.....I'm terrible I know....I bought new carpet a few months ago, I thought the lady at the store was going to kill me before that was over....I bought white carpet!  LOL  I was so worried I would want to change my colors and the carpet would not match that I bought white....it is funny unless you are married to me of course.

Dina at Ascend I'm sure will take care of you one way or the other, they do customer service well. The Sierra-1s in Piano Black are quite good looking FWIW rolleyes.gif

Most of the residents around the forums are guys who are probably more than pleased that for a change it's the gal who wants some good gear! Your husband is a lucky guy!

BTW if anything, you're already got more receiver than you really need with that Denon....but it indeed can accommodate future expansion of your a/v needs....

Good luck!

post #40 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Liked: 27
MistyLen, You can get the Denon 1913 for 299.99 at www.accessoriesforless.com
They are an authorized dealer for refurbished Denon products the only difference is the warranty is only for a year. Just thought I would throw that option at you, I bought my receiver from them and have no complaints.

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #41 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

MistyLen, You can get the Denon 1913 for 299.99 at www.accessoriesforless.com
They are an authorized dealer for refurbished Denon products the only difference is the warranty is only for a year. Just thought I would throw that option at you, I bought my receiver from them and have no complaints.
I agree that is a good option to save $150.
MistyLen likes this.

post #42 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

FWIW Sierra Towers are different from Sierra-1s (as well as the about-to-be-released Sierra-2s), and the former are quite a bit more expensive and as you point out still don't dig all that deep (and I'd still use subs even with the Sierra Towers).
I assumed that she meant the Towers, as the S1s don't go lower than the 340s, so they wouldn't render a sub unnecessary. Not that the Towers really do so either.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #43 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I assumed that she meant the Towers, as the S1s don't go lower than the 340s, so they wouldn't render a sub unnecessary. Not that the Towers really do so either.

I've seen others get confused by Sierra-1 vs Sierra Tower but she did specify Sierra-1 in any case so no need to assume....besides the OP doesn't have the expertise you accord her as far as what she might have meant....
MistyLen likes this.

post #44 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 77
On the other hand, it sounds like you have a very nice house, and the Sierra-1s are definitely much prettier. smile.gif
As far as "needing" a sub, you have to remember who you're talking to here lol.
MistyLen likes this.
post #45 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

LOVINTHEHD Yes I am thankful to have a lovely home and a lot of antiques so I got the Satin Cherry to put on top of the wall unit most of the wood in my home is Mahoney (generations of family stuff) so hopefully the will look "pretty."  SKIDOG Thank you for finding the Denon 1913 Refurb  bought it!  BILL AND BOND here is what I bought for speakers and they shipped this afternoon:  Sierra-1s pair, Satin Dark Cherry *Introductory Pricing* 798.00 from Ascend Acoustics....I have 30 days to return them IF I don't like them.  :-)  Am I going to like them?  Warm regards,  Misty

post #46 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, don't think you'll likely be returning those speakers at least. I've bought many "refurb" electronics over the years, mostly computer stuff, with no worse rate of failure as buying "new".....actually "new" is doing worse.

post #47 of 47 Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOVINTHEHD Yes I am thankful to have a lovely home and a lot of antiques so I got the Satin Cherry to put on top of the wall unit most of the wood in my home is Mahoney (generations of family stuff) so hopefully the will look "pretty."  SKIDOG Thank you for finding the Denon 1913 Refurb  bought it!  BILL AND BOND here is what I bought for speakers and they shipped this afternoon:  Sierra-1s pair, Satin Dark Cherry *Introductory Pricing* 798.00 from Ascend Acoustics....I have 30 days to return them IF I don't like them.  :-)  Am I going to like them?  Warm regards,  Misty
I think youre going to love them.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Harman Kardon Hk 3490 120 Watt Stereo Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page