post #61 of 66 Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

Knowing I already have the Harman Kardon 3700 (7.2 125W), will I need to get an external amp to power the front 3 speakers?  Regarding the "db" and "ohm", what does it all mean in my decision one over the other, performance wise?
You were saying you would need an amp if you kept the Polks, so I was just pointing out that the Polk were actually more efficient (easier to drive) than the EMPs. (at least according to manufacturer specs, which can sometimes be exaggerated) Unless you have a huge room and play at reference levels, your receiver should be fine for either set of speakers. Just keep the volume below where the speakers start to sound bad and you shouldn't have to worry about damaging them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

Update: it's been 2 weeks now since I picked up these RTIA9s as the first pieces of my HT system. I had to give back the HK3700 but got my $600 back...so I bought a Pioneer SC-1222 at Costco for $400! I am leaning towards keeping the RTIA9. I'm loving the power of the bass as well as the highs and mid range. Maybe it's my virgin audiophile ears but I don't hear the "brightness" of these speakers. Or maybe that's what my ears like!

Same here I don't think my Klipsch are harsh sounding like so many say. They are on the bright/forward side but I like that.

Listened to some Melody Gardot last night in stereo (no sub) and it sounded incredible. Gave me chills. smile.gif

What happened with the HK that you had to give it back? Just curious.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #63 of 66 Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Same here I don't think my Klipsch are harsh sounding like so many say. They are on the bright/forward side but I like that.

Listened to some Melody Gardot last night in stereo (no sub) and it sounded incredible. Gave me chills. smile.gif

What happened with the HK that you had to give it back? Just curious.

He returned the Denon and he was gonna buy an Onkyo, i think...I really wanted out from the HK so I kinda offered it back...lol.  I really wanted to be the original owner of MY electronics and get the warranty that came with it.  It all worked out though since I saved $200...which can now go towards my next purchase.  WHICH leads to my next question: I currently have a 2.0 and love listening to hawaiian island music on it, but what should I purchase next, (center, sub, or amp)???  Again, orginally started this journey towards a Home Theater setup (75%)...

7.0 HT Setup:
***Polk RTIA9 / CSIA6 / FXIA6 / RTIA3**Dual PB-2000**Pioneer SC-1222K**Panasonic 65"VT60**Sony BDP-BX510***

post #64 of 66 Old 11-27-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, I have learned so much in the last 2 weeks since purchasing my first pieces.  Just yesterday, I learned about "12V trigger", which unfortunately isn't on the Pioneer SC-1222.  It wasn't a deal breaker for me though, since I could just manually turn ON the amp...lol  So, thank you all for the education you have provided thus far!!!  So fricken excited though! lol

7.0 HT Setup:
***Polk RTIA9 / CSIA6 / FXIA6 / RTIA3**Dual PB-2000**Pioneer SC-1222K**Panasonic 65"VT60**Sony BDP-BX510***

post #65 of 66 Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Liked: 22

Keep the Polks if you are satisfied with the bass. I'm not exactly content with the bass of the Emp Teks that I have (though the mids and highs are spectacular). I'm fairly sure that I'll need to get a sub to enjoy these speakers to their full potential. However, living in an apartment, I'll probably not buy a sub anytime soon. I'll make do with these for now. 

HKPolkMe likes this.

Living room: EMP Tek E55Ti (pair) / Yamaha RX-V475 / Sony BDP-S3100

Bedroom: EMP Tek E5Bi (pair) / Yamaha RX-V375 / JVC DVD player

Headphone equipment: Sennheiser HD 598 / PA2V2 headphone amp

post #66 of 66 Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post

Keep the Polks if you are satisfied with the bass. I'm not exactly content with the bass of the Emp Teks that I have (though the mids and highs are spectacular). I'm fairly sure that I'll need to get a sub to enjoy these speakers to their full potential. However, living in an apartment, I'll probably not buy a sub anytime soon. I'll make do with these for now. 

I did end up keeping the RTIA9s because they sound awesome for 2.0 stereo (and HT).  Initially, I was going to use this mainly for HT use (80%-90%) but its being utilized more for music (75%).  Because of these speakers, I just recently discovered and really love listening to music string-based (and piano) music like Lindsey Stirling, Dallas String Quartet, and The Piano Guys.  But I do listen to all kind of music from hawaiian/reggae, alternative rock, country, and pop/rock...and I enjoy listening to them all on these speakers. 

I love that there is enough bass (not a substitute for a sub though) for music listening and for watching movies.  I can honestly my last purchase to the 7.2 HT build will be the subwoofers.

As for the so-called brightness of Polk speakers most mention, it is not apparent or noticeable with my ears.  Maybe its that or maybe its the RTIA line...don't really know.  In any case, I work from home 2-4 days a week and I'll have it on Pandora for about 5-7 hours and it's just "music to my ears"!!!

Hope that helps for anyone on the fence with the RTIA and Emp Tek lines...where I was about a month ago. :cool:

7.0 HT Setup:

Reply Speakers

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Csi A6 Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Fxi A6 Surround Speakers Pair Black , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each
Gear in this thread - X4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page