Noob question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok replacing my logitechs on my computer. So after some research I have to decide between a pair of audio engine p4s, nht superpower 2.1 or some used Vienna acoustics haydns.

yes I understand it's not a great choice but going with a receiver for now. Demon e300 or similar receiver.

I am a recovering Krell addict but can't afford that anymore. Family and stuff.

used for music mainly, almost never movies. I use headphones for games.

which speakers my intelligent experts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A receiver is probably the best choice, why would it not be?
Having heard only the NHT's out of the bunch, I would however highly recommend them.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
If you are getting a receiver, which is a perfect choice for your needs, you would want to look at the NHT SuperZero 2.1, not SuperPower. The SuperZeros are passive, and I don't believe that receiver has pre-outs for active speakers. I have the SuperZero 2.0s at my desk and they are incredible little speakers, a big +1 there.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. So with that said the Vienna acoustics speakers a reasonable alternative?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Would you guys till recommend the Denon E300 to drive the Haydns?

post #6 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

If you are getting a receiver, which is a perfect choice for your needs, you would want to look at the NHT SuperZero 2.1, not SuperPower. The SuperZeros are passive, and I don't believe that receiver has pre-outs for active speakers. I have the SuperZero 2.0s at my desk and they are incredible little speakers, a big +1 there.
Thats a good point. I was thinking Super Zeros!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenook View Post

Would you guys till recommend the Denon E300 to drive the Haydns?

I believe the Hayden is 4 ohm rated - also if you have a good ear, you should notice that
famous frequency dip in the midrange.

If only doing 2 channel and you continue with the Hayden - then look at the 3490 Harman
Kardon receiver.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 22
I went to the NHT website looking for the Absolute Zero, but when I found they had a 3-way loudspeaker at a reasonable price (Classic 3), I bought a pair of those. After having them for a few months, I'm extremely happy!

For those who might not know, NHT speakers (even their subs) use acoustic suspension, and eschew ported designs. While ported speakers have certain advantages, their "brick wall" bass response, where one note can be heard at full volume and the next lower note cannot be heard at all, is objectionable to me. Back in the 1970s when high powered amplifiers were as rare as hen's teeth and as costly as a car, there were some very good reasons to go with ported designs. But back then there were the AR lovers, and they were on to something. NHT has effectively taken over where AR left off, producing cost effective AS speakers that sound great.

I have a friend who has the Audioengines and likes them. He's compensated by Audioengine, so a grain of salt is necessary there. smile.gif

When I got my NHT speakers, I first used them with a Yamaha A/V receiver that just happened to be there. I had purchased an ART SLA2 power amp to drive the NHT speakers, but the Yamaha lacked a post-fade line out, so it was a little while before I got the power amp up and running with its own DAC/volume control. When I did...WOW!!! I cannot understate what a huge difference in the sound the separate power amp made!

I spent less than $2000 for my rig: $1000 for the speakers, $400 each for the amp and an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/volume control, with $200 left over for new Mogami balanced line cables and fresh speaker cables. The bass extension of the Classic 3 is so good that I'm not even considering a sub for now.

If you're going to be using your computer as the source, and don't have a $2000 budget to get something similar to what I have, then the $200 (each) price of the SuperPower 2.1 self-powered speakers is a good rock bottom choice. Going the self-powered way will save money and keep things simple.

One thing I don't like about the NHT Super series is that, unlike the Absolute Zero, the Super boxes are flat faced. If you can muster ~$700, you can get a pair of Absolute Zero speakers (on sale now for $219 ea.) and a good, inexpensive Class AB amp (like the ART SLA1 for $269) that should be noticeably better sounding than the SuperZero and similar self-powered speakers w/ limited power. As you know, you can never have enough amplifier power! wink.gif

The only thing I can say about the Haydn speakers is that the general vibe I get from them is that they're for suckers who fall for the eye candy and doubletalk in high-end boutiques. They might be perfectly good speakers, but I sure wouldn't buy them at full MSRP. If you're getting yours used from someone you trust, and have the ability to audition them, then that might be preferable to buying sight unseen...as long as the price is right.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Speed, this is the third time I have read your post on three different sites. Obviously you are associated with NHT in some way. Guerilla forum marketing turns me off greatly. I will rely on regular avs members for advice. I did hear some nht speakers and they seemed to be ok speakers but would not put them against audioengine or the haydns now that I heard them.

Nothing personal of course. I did audition the hardns, martin Logan motion 15s, nht and audio engine. All are good units but for $300 for the pair of used haydns I could not resist
. I love martin Logan but they were too bright for now. If I owned a sub now I would have gone that route instead.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so ultimately I got the Denon avr x1000 instead of the e series due to features and an audition in he magnolia room. The yamahas were nice too but a bit bright in sound. Denon seemed warmer to me.

my system, though not top-of-the line is now the Denon x1000 and Vienna acoustic haydns. All of the speakers in the price range needs a sub but this unit had the best range to my ears.

I plan to get a sealed svs sb12-nsd after reading some great conversations on avs forums. I have to save up for it but love to hear from other svs owners if you guys see my post here. Thank you all.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Speed, this is the third time I have read your post on three different sites. Obviously you are associated with NHT in some way.
And that relationship is me being a paying customer.

I have my reasons for preferring AS speaker design and 3-way systems. NHT is one of a very few companies that isn't stamping out 2-way reflex boxes. That's the fact. You accusing me of being a marketer is a falsehood.

Quote:
I did hear some nht speakers and they seemed to be ok speakers but would not put them against audioengine or the haydns now that I heard them.
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. The fact still remains that I've heard enough small 2-way bass reflex speakers, and am tired of putting up with the deficiencies of such designs.

post #12 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Speed,

Point taken.  Just seemed odd to me that someone would post the same thing in multiple forums and while I'm sure your statement about the design is true, don't other manufacturers while less use the same technology other than NHT?  I think JBL and others use the same 3-way technology no?

Anyway, not meant to offend you.  Just tired of other forums where different technologies are marketed using chinese and indian paid forum lurkers who simply rave about one product on a myriad of websites.  Not that you do but I did single you out thinking that is the case here.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I have also been an NHT customer. I had 5 Super-Ones, and an SW-3 sub. It sounded pretty amazing, and I really wish I still had that setup now! I later replaced 2 of the Super-Ones with VT-2 Towers. A pretty fine speaker in it's own right, but I wished I had waited 6 months and purchased 2.9's. The 3.3's that I really wanted just would not fit in my smallish living room.
I certainly think NHT was in the upper tier of speaker manufacturers, especially during the Ken Kantor days.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Point taken.  Just seemed odd to me that someone would post the same thing in multiple forums and while I'm sure your statement about the design is true, don't other manufacturers while less use the same technology other than NHT?  I think JBL and others use the same 3-way technology no?
I do appreciate you being a true gentleman (or woman, as may be the case) about it. smile.gif

From my POV I don't see what's so suspicious though. I'm obviously the same person (and making no effort to conceal that fact), and if you've been following me you know that those are my first new speakers of any consequence in over a decade. It's not like I change loudspeakers like I change clothes! What's so odd about me saying essentially the same thing about the same speakers? My friends in the police community would call that a consistent story. It's not like I copy 'n'pasted the exact same words...

As I mentioned before, the number of readily available 3-way loudspeakers is waning. Back in the '80s my dream speakers were the top of the line KEF or B&W models. (IIRC JBL made some good big 3-way speakers back then too, but they're dated today.) But KEF got into the coaxial (like Tannoy) thing, and B&W got weird with those snail designs. I also mentioned that I'm tired of ported bass designs as well; that's what first attracted me to NHT in the first place. AS designs are exceedingly rare these days, and I'm not the only one to notice. I got tired of waiting for a used pair of KEF 105s to come to my local used stereo shop, so I went shopping, and NHT was all I found costing less than a new car. I have my eye on a pair of ATC speakers when I win the lottery or inherit some money. But until then I'm happy with NHT.

OTOH if you know of any recently designed 3-way AS home speakers, I'm always looking for alternatives. I'll be happy to talk about other brands that meet my criteria and I buy them.

And if I start bragging about a new pair of ATC speakers, don't come running to me for a loan. wink.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr E300
Gear in this thread - E300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page