Speaker Wire Installation Help (walls closing around Thanksgiving) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am installing speaker wires in the walls for front and back speakers, I was thinking of using the 4 speaker with HDMI wall plate for the termination. My situation is that I have a 15' wall and in the middle I have fire place, most likely we will have our TV in the left corner (wife don't want to put TV on top of Fire Place, as she hates to watch TV keeping the neck up), But somehow I want to wire such a way, so that I can place my receiver on any side or corner on that wall, so that if we want to change TV place, we could.

The only idea I have is that I can install two 4 speaker audio with HDMI plates, one on the left of fire place and one on the right. Wire all speakers on the left plate and then wire the left and right plate. Will it work without much issues?

How do people wire the central channel, floor standing speakers and subwoofer? I do not need to go in wall for these correct?

I forgot to mention that I will have hard wood floor, and if I am keeping one floor standing on the left of the fireplace and one on the right, how the wire will reach on the other side?

Please help in this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 377
It's very confusing what you are asking about as it covers many things.

1. You need to pick your equipment location. If you want two equipment locations, then you should wire twice. There certainly are ways which you can loop wiring around, but it may be confusing at the end of it all. Just wire twice and be done with it.

2. You can't just move your stuff around as you want. The wires are IN THE WALL - this means you need to pick a place. You can't move your fireplace, you shouldn't be moving your TV. Pick a place and make a decision. This is actually something which should be considered when you signed your contract. Pick the TV location, pick where the gear is going, or wire the heck out of things so you can have some versatility.

3. The center channel can be wired behind the wall if it will be removed from the equipment rack or it can be wired locally directly to equipment. Depends on where your equipment will be in relation to the center channel. Same as everything else.

4. Why are you asking about how to wire for floor-standing speakers? Aren't you planning on putting speaker wires behind the wall? If so, then put your speaker wires behind the wall for your floor standing speakers and terminate them to wall plates. I'm confused as to why this is an issue at all.

You want to get this planned out right now It's way late in the game to be just now sitting down and realizing you're about to be screwed when the drywall goes up. Get your wiring done now!

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Now it looks like what I want is not usual and not common at all. So my question is as follows
1. Either I can wire twice or if I put one wall plate on the left and one on the right. Terminate all speaker wires on the left plate and loop from left to right plate. Will this be an issue?
2. I have a question on the floor standing and central channel speaker, how to wire them on the wall? Because central channel will be either in the TV rack or the media rack, where as the floor standing will be either side of TV and if the TV is on the TV rack then I do not need to wire floor standing in the wall, I guess if I decide to put TV on top of fire place then I have to wire them in the wall correct?

Thanks
post #4 of 6 Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 PM

I have a big room with a big fireplace, brick on both sides and then my TV on the right of it. Then I have a 8" thick partial wall that sticks out about 2' on right of TV and then to right of it my rack with receiver and then sub. I have 1 speaker on right of rack and then the left speaker over on other side of fireplace (about 10' from rack), with a rear speaker well back along there as well. From my rack I ran 1 long HDMI cable and 1 speaker pair to center channel on TV stand. I could have drilled a hole thru that thick partial wall between them but chose to just run in front of it.

What I did is run 2 pairs of speaker wire straight out my wall behind my rack to outside of house, then back in on other side (left) of fireplace. I had a coax cable box there as it was. I used speaker wall plates with banana plugs on inside and the outside wire terminated on inside of plate.
I then ran a speaker wire along the edge of floor to my rear side speaker. I have a door there and put a rug in front of door. The speaker wire is similar color to my carpet so not so noticeable.
I ran a flat speaker wire to my right side-surround along edge of floor there. I have a desk and then a heater over there so its not really noticeable. Then, for my rear-surrounds - I used a indoor wire cover that I ran from back of rack, straight up where its next to that partial wall, then straight to back and down again. The partial wall runs up and over as it was at one time the outside wall of the house. On left of it is low ceiling and on right higher ceiling with skylights. If I get new carpet though I would run flat wire under carpet to back instead.

as a side, I also ran 2 add'l pairs of speaker wire out from rack to my deck, went up and under facet around house for my outside zone. Got a big spool of indoor/outdoor speaker wire, I think it was 15 or 16ga.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_j View Post

most likely we will have our TV in the left corner (wife don't want to put TV on top of Fire Place, as she hates to watch TV keeping the neck up),

There are options for a 'swing down' type tv mount for over the fireplace installations.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1187646/tv-above-fireplace-mounting-dilemma-need-a-tv-mount-that-does
ask_j likes this.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page