Need some guidance on decent (budget friendly) speakers for upgrading my 5.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, with the Holidays around the corner and everyone and their uncle having sales, I thought now might be a good time to upgrade my system. That and the fact that one of my Studio Monitors has a blown sub, and a replacement from Infinity is nearly as much as a new low-mid grade tower.

My current setup that has slowly morphed as time and funds allowed, or as components failed, is as follows:
- Pioneer VSX-1022 Receiver (980 Watt version)
- Infinty Studio Monitor SM225's for fronts. (although currently subbing in an older SM215 on LF due to blown speaker on one of the 225's
- Bose VCS-10 center channel
- Bargain basement Sony rear channels left over from my first 5.1 system.

My first desire is to replace the Studio Monitors. As one has a blown sub, and they take up a bit of floor space, which is hampering the desire to rearrange the current living room. We currently are running Bose 301's in my office, and my coworker is big on Bose and has recommended to me using 201/301's for fronts. He himself has mounted 4 161's in his home with a sub and is happy with the output. I have been happy with the center channel so far, so only really looking for fronts (with an external sub) and rears.

Anyone have some recommendations for a decent budget setup? Perhaps other models/makes that fit my needs and desires.

Additionally, for any of you that have gone from studio speakers or tower speakers to a bookshelf/wall hung, how have you felt about the change? Pro's and cons, etc..

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
what is a reasonable budget. how big of a room, how far from tv do you sit. is this just for tv/movies or gaming or music? and is this budget just for your fronts or whole 5.1 system.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Reasonable budget would be ~$200 per speaker, give or take obviously.

Use of the system is mainly for TV watching, some gaming and some DVD/Bluray movie watching. Movies are a mix of cartoons for the kids, action and scifi for me, and comedy.

Room is roughly 14' x 14', vaulted with wood plank ceiling, window on one wall, arched entry on 2 of the other walls. 65" TV is currently on the only solid wall, thought would like to move towards a corner on opposite wall so sofa can be against solid wall.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

so your saying $1200 including sub. just for thought putting your couch against a wall is the worst location for ht sound

post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Honestly it is not a good idea to mismatch that center with different front and left and rights. So if you want to keep the Bose center than go with Bose 301/201's I honestly never heard a bost speaker I liked besides the vintage 901's

Do yourself a favor and go to Best Buy and compare the Polk TSi100 / TSi200's / CS10 center and the Pioneer Speakers to the Bose speakers they have. The Polk TSi's sound just like the Polk Monitor Series II's. Chances are you will take the Pioneer's or Polk's over the Bose speakers

For $200 you can get Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II and Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker

A $200 subwoofer the choice is limited but look at the Bic F12 or Polk PSW505
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

fwiw, take a look at the htd level 2 speakers and center http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers and a rythmik lv12r sub http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

post #7 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, take a look at the htd level 2 speakers and center http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers and a rythmik lv12r sub http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

+1

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

so your saying $1200 including sub. just for thought putting your couch against a wall is the worst location for ht sound
Roughly yes. Depending on end of year budget I might only buy one set (i.e. fronts) this holiday, then the other set (rears) in a few months. Just out of curiousity, and I am sure I can search for this answer, by why is that a bad location? not allowing the sound to travel past you rather than being reflected back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Honestly it is not a good idea to mismatch that center with different front and left and rights. So if you want to keep the Bose center than go with Bose 301/201's I honestly never heard a bost speaker I liked besides the vintage 901's

Do yourself a favor and go to Best Buy and compare the Polk TSi100 / TSi200's / CS10 center and the Pioneer Speakers to the Bose speakers they have. The Polk TSi's sound just like the Polk Monitor Series II's. Chances are you will take the Pioneer's or Polk's over the Bose speakers

For $200 you can get Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II and Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker

A $200 subwoofer the choice is limited but look at the Bic F12 or Polk PSW505

As I just mentioned to smasher, the $200 is more an average. I'm sure there are some decent rear speakers in for ~$150, and just saw on amazon some Polk bookshelfs on sale for ~$300/pair. So could have more room for the sub. Also, the 301's we have at the office don't sound too bad for what we use them for which is streaming music, however we don't watch movies soo, not sure how well they do in that arena. I'm still very much an AV noobie, and most of my purchases have come via friends relocating or upgrading, so got a helluva deal. That also means aside from the receiver, much of the system is now getting very aged.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Semi double post... BUT...

Crazyrob - Thank you for your input. I realize it is not in the best interest to mix and match, however sometimes, as I have done, people accumulate their system pieces at a time rather than complete, so they upgrade when and what possible. I might be one of the few that have had luck and success with the Bose center. I haven't had any other experience with Bose systems other than the office, which while the music sounds good through the 301's, it IS simply streaming music and not an action movie or high def sound, so I can't comment if they really would work for me.

I guess I am also "hung up" on the fact of wanting to move to wall/bookshelf speakers for space constraints vs the ... possibly perceived?? better sound coming from a floor/tower speaker.

Looking around on newegg's site I happened across the Polk Audio Monitor 60 series II for ~$90/each... how do/would these compare to the 40 series you mention above?
(And yes, I know I am flipping back to a floor speaker vs wall hung/bookshelf.)
post #10 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

that's correct sound reflection is a major importance in ht.. and for your rears you want them slightly behind your seating area pointed inwards towards you for best surround sound

post #11 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS4 View Post

I guess I am also "hung up" on the fact of wanting to move to wall/bookshelf speakers for space constraints vs the ... possibly perceived?? better sound coming from a floor/tower speaker.

Looking around on newegg's site I happened across the Polk Audio Monitor 60 series II for ~$90/each... how do/would these compare to the 40 series you mention above?
(And yes, I know I am flipping back to a floor speaker vs wall hung/bookshelf.)
Well if you are running a decent subwoofer there is really no benefit to the Monitor 40's over the monitor 60's

The HTD's with rhythmic subwoofers aren't a bad deal either
post #12 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
For approximately $1100 consider 5 WaveCrest HVL-1's and the aforementioned Rythmik LV12R. That would make for a very nice system. I'm listening to the HVL-1's as I type this, and I reviewed the LV12R not too long ago. I think the combination gives you far more then the $$ would suggest.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - 560w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page