Rookie here saying hello with a question! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First and foremost, hello everyone! I've been thumbing around on here all day and what a wealth of information, great site! Onto my question. I'm in the process of picking out a few budget conscious items to get started on my HT system. The room is ~18x18 with the lowest part of the ceiling at 8' and highest at 11'4". The main viewing location is the sofa and is located 12' from the TV. A while back I had purchased a pair of Monitor 40's and a CS1 when I saw them on sale and still have them sitting in the box. I'd like to use those for now, but need fronts. I'm currently looking at the Monitor 70's or 75's(as they are on sale), but I don't know if they are a good fit for the room in question. What are your recommendations for front speakers for a room like this? For power I'm getting a Denon 1713 and also looking to do a sub if need be. This is all going in my living room and I have plans to build a theater setup in the  basement, hence why I don't want to go crazy on spending for this setup. I'm open to suggestions on all parts if something seems mis-matched.

Thank you guys!

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1camaroman93 View Post

First and foremost, hello everyone! I've been thumbing around on here all day and what a wealth of information, great site! Onto my question. I'm in the process of picking out a few budget conscious items to get started on my HT system. The room is ~18x18 with the lowest part of the ceiling at 8' and highest at 11'4". The main viewing location is the sofa and is located 12' from the TV. A while back I had purchased a pair of Monitor 40's and a CS1 when I saw them on sale and still have them sitting in the box. I'd like to use those for now, but need fronts. I'm currently looking at the Monitor 70's or 75's(as they are on sale), but I don't know if they are a good fit for the room in question. What are your recommendations for front speakers for a room like this? For power I'm getting a Denon 1713 and also looking to do a sub if need be. This is all going in my living room and I have plans to build a theater setup in the  basement, hence why I don't want to go crazy on spending for this setup. I'm open to suggestions on all parts if something seems mis-matched.

Thank you guys!

Jason

monitor 70's (or 75T's) would be a bit better matched with the cs2 center channel (or equivalent models, cs20, 25c). that being said what you propose sounds like a great budget system. not very much different from my own. personally i find great value in the polk monitor series.

as far as your sub goes - what kinda of budget you looking at?

you can get some decent budget subs for under $300 (usually at around the $200 price point). some examples include bic f12, polk psw505 and klipsh rw12d.

if you up your budget to say $500-700 or more, you can get some pretty phenomenal subs. check out svs, psa, hsu, outlaw audio and rythemik to see what strikes your fancy.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #3 of 7 Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

monitor 70's (or 75T's) would be a bit better matched with the cs2 center channel (or equivalent models, cs20, 25c). that being said what you propose sounds like a great budget system. not very much different from my own. personally i find great value in the polk monitor series.

you can get some decent budget subs for under $300 (usually at around the $200 price point). some examples include bic f12, polk psw505 and klipsh rw12d.

if you up your budget to say $500-700 or more, you can get some pretty phenomenal subs. check out svs, psa, hsu, outlaw audio and rythemik to see what strikes your fancy.

Thank you for the input. If the CS2 would make that much of a difference, I'd be willing to pick one up as they aren't too spendy. As for the sub, I'm looking to stay in the $300ish range for this system. I was looking at possibly the BIC PL200??

post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1camaroman93 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Thank you for the input. If the CS2 would make that much of a difference, I'd be willing to pick one up as they aren't too spendy. As for the sub, I'm looking to stay in the $300ish range for this system. I was looking at possibly the BIC PL200??

lots of guys like the bics for budget subs - personally i like the 505 better (have heard the bic f12 and 505 in same room). i have not heard the pl200, i think it is pretty similar to the f12 though. either way bic or polk 505, both are good budget subs. neither have very much output below around 23-25 hz though (you might be able to get slighly lower with your in room response). ideally you'd want a sub that could go down to at lest 20hz with authority, but those subs are not in everyones budget.

LOL!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The CS2 is well worth buying IMO. For a sub the Bic America F12 has been a popular budget sub.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The CS2 is well worth buying IMO. For a sub the Bic America F12 has been a popular budget sub.

+1 on the cs2 - the cs2 has the same size drivers as the 70's providing for an excellent match.

I've used the cs1 paired with the 50's and 60's with very acceptable results as well.

LOL!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 151
You might want to take a look at EMPtek...with their Black Friday specials, good speakers and I think they have the best budget sub today- the e1010i. Great looking and sounding speakers!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page