Home Theater under 5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

So we bought a new house a couple months ago which has a nice finished room in the basement to be setup as media room.

The room has walls on 3 sides and fireplace in the center on one side. I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow and will measure the room as well

At this point I am trying to figure out how much to put on what components. I want to be under 5000 for everything and would like to purchase a couch in there as well... 1000 may be... so budget for video and audio is 4000

I have a denon 2113 i think which i would like to move to this room.. I also have def tech pro cinema 600 that i use in the living room which I still will use there

So my question is, within 4000, how much should i spend on the speakers, projector, screen and anything else i need?

I would like to have a 5.1 setup and 2 speakers as zone 2 outside the room as my music speakers when I work in the basement.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.. appreciate any help smile.gif
post #3 of 19 Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 13
What are the Room Dimensions? Are you open to a Tv or looking do you prefer a projector for Size ? And how do you feel about used for the speakers?
post #4 of 19 Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for you reply

The room size is 21x15

Im not a fan of used speakers but Im ok with refurbished from a good seller.

I always thought projector was the way to go to get the big picture, i have a 53 inch tv which is ok for the living room, i think if I try to go for a bigger tv, its more expensive than a decent projector
post #5 of 19 Old 11-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
KEF LS50!
post #6 of 19 Old 11-30-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gam3rr View Post

Hi All

So we bought a new house a couple months ago which has a nice finished room in the basement to be setup as media room.

The room has walls on 3 sides and fireplace in the center on one side. I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow and will measure the room as well

At this point I am trying to figure out how much to put on what components. I want to be under 5000 for everything and would like to purchase a couch in there as well... 1000 may be... so budget for video and audio is 4000

I have a denon 2113 i think which i would like to move to this room.. I also have def tech pro cinema 600 that i use in the living room which I still will use there

So my question is, within 4000, how much should i spend on the speakers, projector, screen and anything else i need?

I would like to have a 5.1 setup and 2 speakers as zone 2 outside the room as my music speakers when I work in the basement.

Thanks

Can the $1000 couch be accounted for under a separate budget?!? biggrin.gif I'm only half joking...

Lets work through some numbers. Firstly, this article suggests these percentages (of a $10 000 budget) which seem OK to me. Personally, I'd only allocate 20% - 25% of my budget to electronics and bump up the speaker/sub allocation to 40 - 50%. I'd spend as little as possible on wires and cables - 10% is over the top IMO.

Quote:
The Budget:
• 35% to 40% of the equipment budget to the 7.1-channel home theater speaker system —about $3,500 to $4,000.
• 30% to 35% for the High Definition video display (rear projection, or front projector and screen, flat-panel plasma or LCD, plus associated controls) -- $3,000 to $3,500.
• 20% to 30% for the electronics (AV receiver or AV processor and amplifiers, DVD player)-- $2,000 to $3,000
• 5% to 10% for cables, wiring, and miscellaneous --$500 to $1,000

You already have the AVR and player (I assume), so you could assign that 20 - 30% to the aspect (audio or video) that you value most. Personally, I tend to get more enjoyment from the audio aspect and listen to a lot of multichannel music, so I'd assign the bulk of it to speakers and subs and tend towards the bold figures based on a $5000 wink.gif budget:

• 50% to 65% or about $2500 to $3200 for speakers and subs
30% to 45% or about $1500 to $2300 for projector, screen and controls
• 5% or say $300 for for cables, wiring, and miscellaneous

You may well see more value or enjoy the video aspect more. In that case assign a greater percentage of the 20 - 30% electronics budget to video equipment.

Hope that helps to get you started. smile.gif
post #7 of 19 Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

KEF LS50!

eek.gif

I usually try to refrain from commenting directly on other members recommendations, but... did you read the thread?

Gam3rr has $4K in the kitty and is simply asking for budget split suggestions. What's he going to do with a $1500 pair of audiophile mini-monitors? cool.gif
post #8 of 19 Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

eek.gif

I usually try to refrain from commenting directly on other members recommendations, but... did you read the thread?

Gam3rr has $4K in the kitty and is simply asking for budget split suggestions. What's he going to do with a $1500 pair of audiophile mini-monitors? cool.gif

You will never make it as a sales person smile.gif
post #9 of 19 Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

You will never make it as a sales person smile.gif
I hope not. smile.gif
post #10 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
That room looks like it can use some acoustic panels,just saying.

Djoel
post #11 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Can the $1000 couch be accounted for under a separate budget?!? biggrin.gif I'm only half joking...

Lets work through some numbers. Firstly, this article suggests these percentages (of a $10 000 budget) which seem OK to me. Personally, I'd only allocate 20% - 25% of my budget to electronics and bump up the speaker/sub allocation to 40 - 50%. I'd spend as little as possible on wires and cables - 10% is over the top IMO.

You already have the AVR and player (I assume), so you could assign that 20 - 30% to the aspect (audio or video) that you value most. Personally, I tend to get more enjoyment from the audio aspect and listen to a lot of multichannel music, so I'd assign the bulk of it to speakers and subs and tend towards the bold figures based on a $5000 wink.gif budget:

• 50% to 65% or about $2500 to $3200 for speakers and subs
30% to 45% or about $1500 to $2300 for projector, screen and controls
• 5% or say $300 for for cables, wiring, and miscellaneous

You may well see more value or enjoy the video aspect more. In that case assign a greater percentage of the 20 - 30% electronics budget to video equipment.

Hope that helps to get you started. smile.gif

Thanks for the insight giegar..

I found a couch at ashley last nite for about 600 bucks, so my budget now for speakers, projector/screen and misc is 4400

I am thinking of putting 3000 on speakers and 1400 for projector and screen and some wires

The projector, i was thinking either the epson powerlite 2030 or a panasonic one AE8000U which is more expensive (best price i saw was 1750 after rebate), my BIL works at motorola and said he gets more than 50% discount on panasonic stuff so i'll ask him to look into that and if not get the 1000 dollar epson and then a decent screen for about 200 to 300 or so

Coming to speakers, i auditioned paradigm monitor 9s and 11s yesterday at a local dealer, they sounded great. The dealer talked a great deal about how paradigm is the best budget speaker and showed me some samples components he had of other speakers in the same budget and how they were light and flimsy compared to the ones paradigm used which was really good. The only concern for me was paradigm was the only brand they carried in my budget ....

my question is does it matter how well they are made or with what materials they are made? example plastic vs metal castings or light vs heavier magnets etc? I would think so but reading around, they say get what you sounds best to you ... granted i havent demoed anything else yet ... but they sounded awesome especially with the movie demo he showed us

i called around to find the best price locally and looks like I can get this setup for about 3100 new

2 x Monitor 11
2 x surround 1
1 x center 3
1 x monitor 12'' sub

What do you guys think of it?

I am yet to call a couple others dealers carry other brands for a demo ...

This is my first BIG spend on audio and video ... so its a bit scary not knowing anything about these things

thanks for all the help
post #12 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

That room looks like it can use some acoustic panels,just saying.

Djoel

yes, planning to put up some DIY panels .. need to start looking how to make those smile.gif
post #13 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The speakers here will not need a lot of power to reach reference level:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387083/list-of-reference-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers

There are speakers for various budgets in the list.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks like it will be a fun room . Take your time.

7.1 is not necessary to begin. More money for the other speakers and even the rears can wait if it gets you a bit better front three. Surround speakers are an easy score and the front three and in my opinion the center are critical. When I seek new HT set-up if the center is not well above average I move-on. That is just me.

Don't be afraid of used. Folks who spend high dollar on gear typically take care of it.

I would also add these Focal's to your list. The 800s are on close-out. The Profiles may or may not be in your reach. Auditioning is always suggested but these are very good close-out prices and a return policy .

Paradigm is also a very good choice for HT.

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-608-speakers.aspx?sortfield=Popularity&sortdirection=DESC&perpage=24&BrandFilterID=853&

Good Luck

Rick

post #15 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Thanks for the insight giegar..

I found a couch at ashley last nite for about 600 bucks, so my budget now for speakers, projector/screen and misc is 4400

I am thinking of putting 3000 on speakers and 1400 for projector and screen and some wires

The projector, i was thinking either the epson powerlite 2030 or a panasonic one AE8000U which is more expensive (best price i saw was 1750 after rebate), my BIL works at motorola and said he gets more than 50% discount on panasonic stuff so i'll ask him to look into that and if not get the 1000 dollar epson and then a decent screen for about 200 to 300 or so

Coming to speakers, i auditioned paradigm monitor 9s and 11s yesterday at a local dealer, they sounded great. The dealer talked a great deal about how paradigm is the best budget speaker and showed me some samples components he had of other speakers in the same budget and how they were light and flimsy compared to the ones paradigm used which was really good. The only concern for me was paradigm was the only brand they carried in my budget ....

my question is does it matter how well they are made or with what materials they are made? example plastic vs metal castings or light vs heavier magnets etc? I would think so but reading around, they say get what you sounds best to you ... granted i havent demoed anything else yet ... but they sounded awesome especially with the movie demo he showed us

i called around to find the best price locally and looks like I can get this setup for about 3100 new

2 x Monitor 11
2 x surround 1
1 x center 3
1 x monitor 12'' sub

What do you guys think of it?

I am yet to call a couple others dealers carry other brands for a demo ...

This is my first BIG spend on audio and video ... so its a bit scary not knowing anything about these things

thanks for all the help

Paradigm is a great choice, however I would stay far away from the monitor 12'' sub. Get yourself a SVS PB12-NSD on sale for $699 for black friday right now. It is a far better sub.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

yes, planning to put up some DIY panels .. need to start looking how to make those smile.gif

For the DIY look at these guys http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--DIY-Acoustic-Materials--102.html

If you live some where around Maine east coast I have a friend who is selling a Stewart 110 inches it's a Fire Hawk G2 Motorized screen, PM me if you're interested in it..

Dan
post #17 of 19 Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I went and checked out a def tech dealer here and listened to the 8060st towers, i thought they were really good and here' the thing, they have a deal where if you buy 2 towers, you get the center and surrounds for free, so total package is under 2000

he also said there might not be a need for a seperate sub but i plan to decide on it once i have the speakers at the house

overall i think i still like the pradigm monitor 11s more that these but those almost a 1000 more than this set

what do you guys think, is that a good deal for this setup? This will add more to my projector fund and i can bump it up to 2000
post #18 of 19 Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
With 4K home movies around the corner, the current projectors are going to be obsolete much quicker than any sound gear. Remember AV receivers also process imaging and none on the market feature HDMI 2.0 yet, but will very soon. So I would invest more in speakers and less in projector, Blu-ray players, and receivers. For speakers, check out www.ascendacoustics.com. Best sound you can get for the money! That's what I ended up getting thanks to the knowledgable people on this forum. For the other stuff, well CES 2014 is right around the corner, so it would be worth waiting to see what's coming, but I bet there will be lower-priced 4K projectors and HDMI 2.0-equipped receivers.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I think 4k projectors (especially early on) will be ridiculously expensive. I'd recommend an epson 8350- they can be had for around 1000-1200 new. Or an epson 3010 if you want 3d.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com