Speakers for Living Room HTPC to go with a Yamaha RX-V673 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered the Yamaha RX-V673 off Amazon (due to the sale). I am looking to buy a set of speakers to either get a decent 5.1 or 7.1 system set up. Originally I was looking at spending $400-$600 (USD). I have read a lot, and realized that I should probably invest in a better set and plan to keep them for longer. I would like to keep it at $1,000 or less preferably. I don't know if the Yamaha will even sound that much better with high even vs low end speakers, or if I should save some money and buy a cheaper set.

I was eyeing deals on speaker sets. This one came up:
Quote:
Acoustic Sound Design also has Klipsch II 5.0 Bookshelf Home Theater System for $2048 - $1049 w/ coupon code rb41book = $999. Shipping is Free.
Includes:
2x Klipsch RB-41 II Bookshelf Speakers
1x Klipsch RC-42 II Center Channel Speaker
2x Klipsch RS-41 II Surround Speakers
1x Klipsch SW-310 Powered Subwoofer

It is only 5.1, but I am not sure if I am just wasting my money with the receiver I purchased, or if should get these at this price. If anyone has some thoughts, or recommendations for different speakers, I am open to them.

The room is 16'x14' with vaulted ceilings, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone think there will be good sales on Cyber Monday?
post #3 of 30 Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
there will be good sales from Cyber Monday thru Christmas Eve.

You should go to your local Best Buy and listen to Klipsch speakers. they're not for everybody.

The Yamaha RX-V673 is a very good deal for $299.
Djoel likes this.

Afro GT
post #4 of 30 Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent, I guess I am excited to find speakers as the Yamaha since it will be here on Thursday. I don't expect to get speakers that quick though, and would rather wait for a good deal. Just don't want to miss any post Black Friday ones still going on.

Do you have an personal brand suggestions that would work well with that receiver? Or any sites I should watch for deals (beyond Amazon/NewEgg)?

Thanks!
post #5 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am now looking at this package:
Pioneer SP-PK52FS

Though it appears there is never a deal on it. Does anyone think a newer package will be out soon? Seems this one has been available for the last year, so I am hesitant a new one will be announced.

Also the Energy Take Classic 5.1 is listed with a higher MSRP here, but is it really better? Most of the forum posts I have read suggest the Pioneer.

I figured with this package being below my $1,000 budget, I could potentially buy 2 more speakers and complete the 7.1. And/or I could buy another sub (better one?) to make it 7.2. Not sure if two different brand subs would greatly impact the quality or performance though.

Any input would be great!
post #6 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
It's kind of difficult to recommend speakers to someone , for a whole slew of variables, let alone your particular taste, listening habits blah, blah.

Off the bat Klipsch speakers for me tend to sound bright as hell, and edgy ear fatigue is the only thing that comes to mind. Especially in the price range you're looking in, BUT that's just me. Plenty of folks around these part tend to love them, and if you have you’re heart set on a pair by all means don’t let this post hinder that!

Something I would do is concentrate on the front trio for now; like that you can stretch your budget a little longer, or get some cheap speakers for the rear until you can raise some cash for the what ever you want add for the surrounds.
I would say to listen to as many speakers at your price range as you can, check out EmpTek?, Ascend, Energy, Infinity, etc.

Good luck

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I need to find a place to test these. Would you recommend a small audio shop, over something like Best Buy?

Besides Energy, I don't believe I have really looked at the other brands you mentioned. Makes me a little concerned about quality, but I will have to research them. Thanks!
post #8 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You can always buy from an online speaker id/ company were you can return the speakers after 30 or 45 days, you can get your fill, and have your way with them at a familiar space.

Check out Emotiva speakers as well, I heard them at a show a year or two ago and thought they sounded ok for they're price range, just a little too lay back for me. Again listen to as many speaker as possible, you'll start to hear what it is that you like, and not. wink.gif

Where are you located?

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
This Ascend Acoustics CBM 170/340 center/200 surrounds deal for $698 is nicer than anything you have listed, and would leave you $300 to find a sub.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5525-Black-Friday-Thanksgiving-Sale!
post #10 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

^ ^
Great recommendation smile.gif
Gmash likes this.

post #11 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oen386 View Post

I am now looking at this package:
Pioneer SP-PK52FS

Though it appears there is never a deal on it. Does anyone think a newer package will be out soon? Seems this one has been available for the last year, so I am hesitant a new one will be announced.

Also the Energy Take Classic 5.1 is listed with a higher MSRP here, but is it really better? Most of the forum posts I have read suggest the Pioneer.

I figured with this package being below my $1,000 budget, I could potentially buy 2 more speakers and complete the 7.1. And/or I could buy another sub (better one?) to make it 7.2. Not sure if two different brand subs would greatly impact the quality or performance though.

Any input would be great!

I would stay away from little satellites like the Energy if at all possible. If you go with the Pioneer setup, don't get the Pioneer sub. Sub brands don't need to match your speakers.
Another deal to consider for $1036:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-home-theater-speakers/intimus-4b-harmony-sa

I would rather have the Ascend deal if it were me, though.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Look at this Cambridge package here - you can save for a bigger sub later
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBSPKPACK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S-Series-5.1-Home-Theater-Speaker-Package/1.html

Use to sell for $1300

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

This Ascend Acoustics CBM 170/340 center/200 surrounds deal for $698 is nicer than anything you have listed, and would leave you $300 to find a sub.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5525-Black-Friday-Thanksgiving-Sale!

Looks like a good deal. This might be my ignorance to the advancement of speaker technology, but the CBM-170 SE came out like 7 years ago. There is nothing newer that outperforms it at the same price point?

Also I would like to do 7.1, but that might put me over if I buy a sub and another pair. Though if the quality is worth it, I could probably swing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Look at this Cambridge package here - you can save for a bigger sub later
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBSPKPACK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S-Series-5.1-Home-Theater-Speaker-Package/1.html

What sub would you suggest? Should I use subs of different brands for a 7.2 setup, or is that a horrible idea? I was hoping to do 7.1, but if I am going to buy a better sub, not sure what I would do with the other one that comes with the set (besides put it in storage).

Thanks for all the responses though!
post #14 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Personally, I would go for quality over quantity of speakers. That Ascend setup would give you a few options to expand to 7.1 later. You could buy a set of 340s for fronts and move the rest back, or get another set of either the 170s or 200s to complete the set. I wouldn't worry about them being an older design. Despite what public relations people would lead you to believe, speaker technology hasn't changed all that much.
Djoel likes this.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also I would like to do 7.1, but that might put me over if I buy a sub and another pair. Though if the quality is worth it, I could probably swing it.
What sub would you suggest? Should I use subs of different brands for a 7.2 setup, or is that a horrible idea? I was hoping to do 7.1, but if I am going to buy a better sub, not sure what I would do with the other one that comes with the set (besides put it in storage).

Thanks for all the responses though!

Lower frequencies are just that low waves, thus any other different brand/ model providing they're reputable robust sub company can reinforce the lower Hz.
Bass can add a lot of realism to you're set up, and can be plenty of fun as well. Just go to the Sub threads especially the one for the movies!

Djoel

post #16 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can sell the Cambridge sub - it is like a free sub with the package - it is
a good sub choice, for a desk-top or bed room system.

The SVS PB-1000 is a nice sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000.html#.Up8_e8RDspY

You have some good options in this thread - and the Cambridge is also a solid deal.
Even the popular S30 bookshelves will go down to 60 hz.

I will always take a good 5.1 over a weak 7.1 - and save for 2 more surrounds.

You can buy pieces separate - 2 pairs S30 and the S50 center, with the SVS sub
will be around $1000 - and save for another pair of surrounds.

No one can speak for your ears - the choice is up to you.
Djoel and Oen386 like this.

post #17 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

Personally, I would go for quality over quantity of speakers. That Ascend setup would give you a few options to expand to 7.1 later. You could buy a set of 340s for fronts and move the rest back, or get another set of either the 170s or 200s to complete the set. I wouldn't worry about them being an older design. Despite what public relations people would lead you to believe, speaker technology hasn't changed all that much.

My concern is, with the Ascend, it is $698 to start without a sub. If I get the sub zieglij01 mentioned, that puts me at $1198 without shipping costs. If I add a pair of 340s to the front, that puts me at $1766 (without shipping). That is about 3 times the price of the Pioneer system I listed. though it looks like it would give me a really nice 7.1 system. I was hoping to keep it at around $1,000, would most people notice the difference in quality from this kind of price jump? This would be more than I spent on my TV or anything else in the room. Which makes me hesitant to drop that much money.
Quote:

The SVS PB-1000 is a nice sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000.html#.Up8_e8RDspY

Thanks for the advice, the sub looks great! I am looking at the Cambridge system (and the speakers), but it looks like they only come in an Oak finish. Everything I have in the room is black, it is kind of minor, but if I ever plan to replace the furniture or anything else, black is easier to work with. Also it would match the rest of the room as is, where as the oak finish looks a lot lighter.

Between the Ascend and Cambridge, which would you all recommend?

Thanks again for all the input!
post #18 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, the sub looks great! I am looking at the Cambridge system (and the speakers), but it looks like they only come in an Oak finish. Everything I have in the room is black, it is kind of minor, but if I ever plan to replace the furniture or anything else, black is easier to work with. Also it would match the rest of the room as is, where as the oak finish looks a lot lighter.

The Black will cost a little more
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/cambridge%20audio/results/1.html

I have not listened to the Ascend - however, I am confident that they sound nice > however,
it will surprise some Ascend owners, that a few have chosen the Cambridge over the Ascend.

The Cambridge S30 is a serious sounding good speaker - Your call, it all comes down to you.
Oen386 likes this.

post #19 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 27
I would recommend starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 system and add surrounds as you save up. I think you will get better sound quality for your money rather than trying to get all the speakers at once.

You might be surprised at how good a good 2.1 system will sound.
post #20 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

I would recommend starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 system and add surrounds as you save up. I think you will get better sound quality for your money rather than trying to get all the speakers at once.

I've done this numerous times, did it with Dali Helicon system, B&W 800 series, it saves you some stress and pressure to rush to the finish line.

Great advice

DJoel

post #21 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

The Black will cost a little more
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/cambridge%20audio/results/1.html

I have not listened to the Ascend - however, I am confident that they sound nice > however,
it will surprise some Ascend owners, that a few have chosen the Cambridge over the Ascend.

The Cambridge S30 is a serious sounding good speaker - Your call, it all comes down to you.

Hey Jim....I'm not surprised but I'm pretty sure some have preferred the Ascends as well...wink.gif

I know of a few...lol....smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #22 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've done this numerous times, did it with Dali Helicon system, B&W 800 series, it saves you some stress and pressure to rush to the finish line.

Great advice, without a doubt. My personality issue is, I am afraid I will become "okay" with what I have and not finish buying the rest until much later (if at all). I kind of want to get it all, and be done. Knowing I will use it for years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Hey Jim....I'm not surprised but I'm pretty sure some have preferred the Ascends as well...wink.gif

Am I missing an inside joke here? Or did you have a recommendation? wink.gif
post #23 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Yes, it does work both ways - As The Audio World Turns.smile.gif
Billy p likes this.

post #24 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I think he's referring that a few of us have been reiterating, recommended Ascend speakers, if you look at his signature you'll notice he's an Ascend owner. As I'm an Ascend owner as well, basically because they make awesome speakers at great prices, one would have to spend double or even trice to get what you get from Ascend, believe me I've had my full share of speakers . wink.gif

Also I get it you want it set them up, and don't want fuss much, let them to what they do, and DONE. I hear you loud and clear,But like allot of us who started with that same basic thought, get it and enjoy mentality .The truth is It usually grows into a crazy obsession to get it right, and if it can it get any better.

You've been warn.biggrin.gif
Djoel
Billy p and Oen386 like this.

post #25 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Great advice, without a doubt. My personality issue is, I am afraid I will become "okay" with what I have and not finish buying the rest until much later (if at all). I kind of want to get it all, and be done. Knowing I will use it for years to come.

That's actually my point. If you buy something better you may not feel the need for 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.2 or 11.2. Unless you want the surrounds just to have them. On the other hand, you may decide to go a different direction after some time and experience. If you still want to get it then you have an overall better system.

Of course, if you still read these forums then you might be like me and come back 6-12 months for your upgrade. biggrin.gif

Auditioning is the only way to go; don't rely too much on reviews as their quality is often suspect and you won't have the same perception or preferences as the reviewer anyway. I too looked for the best reviews, but quickly found out (via auditioning) that reviews and specs don't really help with what sound you like. They can only point out if a speaker is inappropriate. Only you will know what you like as everyone hears things differently. I heard this from other forum members but it didn't really click until I had speakers to do direct comparisons on.
post #26 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My concern is, with the Ascend, it is $698 to start without a sub. If I get the sub zieglij01 mentioned, that puts me at $1198 without shipping costs. If I add a pair of 340s to the front, that puts me at $1766 (without shipping). That is about 3 times the price of the Pioneer system I listed. though it looks like it would give me a really nice 7.1 system. I was hoping to keep it at around $1,000, would most people notice the difference in quality from this kind of price jump? This would be more than I spent on my TV or anything else in the room. Which makes me hesitant to drop that much money.

With your budget I would recommend against going 7.1 for now. Get the best 5.1 you can for now and add the rears later. This Hsu 5.1 is right over your budget and includes a sub.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value1pkg.html
post #27 of 30 Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Alright last question about Ascend. Any reason not to get 4 CBM-170 SE speakers for the side and back speakers? The packaged deal has HTM-200 SE as the back speakers, but their "system advisor" suggests the side and rear speakers match, and it recommends the CBM-170 pair.

Also the price is only 2 dollars different, from getting the special and adding the mains, compared to getting the speakers individually.

Thanks!
post #28 of 30 Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright last question about Ascend. Any reason not to get 4 CBM-170 SE speakers for the side and back speakers? The packaged deal has HTM-200 SE as the back speakers, but their "system advisor" suggests the side and rear speakers match, and it recommends the CBM-170 pair.

Also the price is only 2 dollars different, from getting the special and adding the mains, compared to getting the speakers individually.

Thanks!

Having them all matching would be the best, but a lot of people use the 200s for surrounds because they are smaller and are sealed speakers, which makes them easier to place close to, or hang on a wall. If you have the space, go for the 170s.
Oen386 likes this.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Before purchasing, I just want to confirm that this sub is still my best choice for ~$500 or less.
post #30 of 30 Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Before purchasing, I just want to confirm that this sub is still my best choice for ~$500 or less.

it really appears to be, it digs deep and ive heard nothing but praise for it. the only thing better would be 2 of them... biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Klipsch Rb 41 Ii Bookshelf Speaker , Klipsch Rc 42 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Rs 41 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page