Question on room selection and surround/center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-28-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm in the middle of upgrading my HT system and have a few questions. First is room choice. I have two candidates, one is 16x14 and open to the breakfast/kitchen on one end ... and the other is 10w x 17d closed (currently an office). Both have 8' ceilings. Current setup is in the 16x14 room but am interested if the 10 x 17 room would work better (would not be dual purpose).

Second is speaker selection. I have 4 M&K S5000 THX's and an MX-5000 sub I bought recently. I'm not sure whether to try to find some dipole surrounds (have found some ss-150's or triad gold on wall) or add more S5000 THXs as surrounds. Also, I'm looking at grabbing something like an angled center or horizontal center channel since I don't have the space under the TV and am thinking of either a S-125 center or S-150AC (to stay all MK) ... or be really different (speaker wise) buy a set of 3 triad gold classics I found locally as the front stage and move the S5000's to side / rear.

I'm connecting these up to an Anthem MRX 700.

Would love some opinions on both.

Thx!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-29-2013, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Chris,

In a perfect world, the 10 x 17 room would work best. 1. Because it's not open-ended 2. Because it's more of a rectangle.

If you don't have space under your TV you could go with one of Triad's on-wall speakers and put the speaker above the TV. But if you do this, you would need to get all Triad LCRs for the front channels. For example, an OnWall Bronze LCR and InRoom Bronze LCRs. Or you could go with 3 OnWall Bronze LCRs.

The angled S-150AC could also work providing the speaker isn't too far off-axis.

In that size room I would recommend dipoles.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthem Mrx700
Gear in this thread - Mrx700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page