I need help building a home theater system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys,

This is my first post on AVS so bear with me. I just bought a house and am setting up my entertainment room. I have a 65" samsung and that is it. I'm mounting it above my fireplace that is 42" tall so the center of the screen will be at just under 60". The room is 15' x 20' x 8-10' ceilings at different points. I'll be sitting about 12-14' away. 

From all my research I'm leaning towards an SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, DefTech ProCenter 1000, (4) ProMonitor 1000's. I want to mount all the speakers on the wall and run the cables through the wall. I'm looking at Atlantic Technology WA-50 wireless transmitter/receiver for the subwoofer for ease of placement. 

Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations? I still haven't decided on a receiver yet. I'm looking at Onkyo TX-NR626, Sony STR-DN1040, and HK AVR 2700 or 3700. Themost important features are Bluetooth, ARC, HDMI 3D pass through. wifi is nice but not a necessity. My budget is between $1500-$2000.

OR

I saw HK has the BDS 7772 which has a built in 3d blu ray player for around $1000. It's basically a HTIB. Does anyone have one or anyone heard it? I haven't found any reviews on it. It seems simple an not a bad price.

I'd be using it gor:

70% Movies/Sports/TV

30% Music(hip hop/dance) and video games

Here is the old owners setup. The wrap around couch will be where the tv is in the picture to the wall on the right across from the fireplace. The picture is taken from the kitchen/breakfast nook.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
It's probably too late to think about mounting the TV somewhere other than above the fireplace. A 60" high screen, depending on where the seats are placed is a little high...hard on the neck. The center of the screen should be more at eye level when seated. You also have a heat issue with the fireplace. It would be nice if you could deflect the heat away from the TV.

Espo77
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

A 60" high screen, depending on where the seats are placed is a little high...hard on the neck..
It's actually a bit low if you have one of these:
Stressless-Voyager-L.png?mh=300&mw=365

My screen center is 75 inches high.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

I've thought about the neck ache, but i decided with 10 degrees angle on the tv and 12-14 feet away should be fine. We don't use the fireplace too much. Plus my couch is usually reclined and I like the fact I can see the TV from the kitchen/nook area and have a couch wrap around the two solid walls. I've thought about the chairs but I guess I'm just a couch guy. I think if I put the sub behind the couch in the corner where it bends it should sound really good and have a nice feel to it. 

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions for the A/V setup. I'm trying to stay under $2k. I think it should be easy with the size of the room and my needs. Any suggestions?

post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My screen is higher than average and with a reclining couch it works great. But I can understand that a high screen with non-reclining seating would be a problem. With my seating I'd be more worried about neck ache with a low positioned screen.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Procenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker Single White , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 2700 7 1 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page