Please help with new system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong spot here but I am a complete newbie so forgive wink.gif

I am trying to put together a brand new system for my place of residence. I just sold my house and the buyer wanted everything I had in the house which included my surround/tv's, etc.. This gives me the chance to start fresh with a new system which I am excited about.

Here is my thoughts so far on the system: I am going with a 5.1 system setup. I don't have a strict budget, but want to keep things somewhat reasonable. I want the system to sound awesome for movies and music as it will be doing double duty for me. It is going to be in a bit of a challenging room as it is a great room type setup ( I will try and post pics later when I get a break in moving).

Here is what I was thinking so far. Please let me know your thoughts as I am open for suggestions
Samsung PN64F8500 TV
Pioneer Elite SC-71 AV Receiver
Oppo BDP 103
Golden Ear Aon 2 Monitors x 5
Golden Ear ForceField 5 Sub
Chroma 6 Cables

Anyway, any help is appreciate here as I would like to make sure I get the best bang for the buck and most of all get a quality system that I can enjoy for years to come. Btw, I don't want to get anything too large in the way of speakers (especially the rear surround) as I would like to remain in a happy marriage here biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance guys for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
I hope you don't think this is a cop-out, but I think that's a killer system you've spec'd out—not sure you need to change a thing. I am a proponent of using multiple subs, if space and budget allows. I definitely encourage you to post pics.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Good system. My only suggestions might be ...

If your room is large you might consider (as imagic mentioned) dual subs. (Dual subs isn't for more or louder bass, but to smooth out the bass and crossover throughout the room.)

I don't know what price your getting on the Samsung 60", but everywhere I've looked the 60" Panasonic ST60 and VT60 TV's are less expensive. If you're going plasma I'd lean towards the Panasonic, IMHO better picture quality.

(If the Samsung's streaming/smartTV features are what you're looking at, then the price difference would allow you to pick up a dedicated streaming device like the Roku or AppleTV. You would still be saving money, and you would actually have better streaming capabilities.)

BTW, great choice to get 5 identical speakers wink.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

imagic- I appreciate your honesty and it makes me feel good to know that you like what I have come up with here. I did as much research as I possibly could/had time for, and it always makes me feel better to get some feedback from others. Space and budget would allow a second sub, however I have a few questions regarding this. First (remember I am a bit new to this here) wink.gif I was wondering if the Pioneer Elite SC-71 would run the dual subs, or if I would need another way to power this second sub? Also, wondering about placement of these dual subs (from the little that I know, I am aware that it can make a big difference. Last thing is that I was wondering what you thought about getting the single sub to start with and see how it sounds. If I am not happy with the sound, I could always add a second one after the fact? Let me know what you think about this idea, as budget isn't a big issue but I want to make sure that it is needed in my particular situation. I will definitely post some pics when I get it all and get it installed.

Sdg- thanks for the clarification on the second sub as I didn't think that I would need additional bass. The reviews that I read on that particular sub had the listener actually turning down the bass at times during the listening test. On the TV, I was going to get it for right around 3,000 and I see after looking at the Panasonic's that you are absolutely correct about the price difference. Honestly, I hadn't really thought a lot about the Panasonic as the reviews that I was reading were leaning in favor of the Samsung? I will do some further research on that though. I wasn't too worried about the streaming services, as I already own the Apple TV and was definitely looking for best picture/value combination. Thanks for the compliment and all the tips here guys. I really appreciate your help!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnff View Post

...I was wondering if the Pioneer Elite SC-71 would run the dual subs, or if I would need another way to power this second sub? Also, wondering about placement of these dual subs (from the little that I know, I am aware that it can make a big difference. Last thing is that I was wondering what you thought about getting the single sub to start with and see how it sounds. If I am not happy with the sound, I could always add a second one after the fact? ...

Most subs are self powered (i.e. they have an amp inside them). This means they only get a line-level signal from the AVR and a simple RCA Y-splitter can be used to connect two subs. But, I believe the SC-71 is a 7.2 AVR so you'll already have two sub connectors.

Re sub placement ... the infamous "sub crawl" - it's completely unscientific and demoralizing, but completely effective wink.gif Just check in the sub forums for details.

And yes, starting with one sub is a fine plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnff View Post

... On the TV, I was going to get it for right around 3,000 and I see after looking at the Panasonic's that you are absolutely correct about the price difference. Honestly, I hadn't really thought a lot about the Panasonic as the reviews that I was reading were leaning in favor of the Samsung? I will do some further research on that though ...

Re the plasma TV's - maybe check the reviews on cnet. The first four TV's listed are Panasonic plasmas. The ST60 series gets the highest recommendation in the website's history, it beat out the better VT60 (and ZT60) series because of it's combination of pq and low price. Worth noting though that prices have come down since then. (If you have a very bright room want to consider a LCD or LED then different TV's would be recommended.)

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

I see what you mean on the Panasonics. Great reviews. My room is going to be pretty bright though and I was reading that the new 8500 series are some of the brightest plasmas around. I think I may have to check into getting an ST Panasonic for the bedroom though smile.gif
Thanks again for all the great information!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One reason the ST might be dropping in price is that I have heard that Panasonic has discontinued the line. I do prefer the Panasonic ZT over the Samsung myself. You will certainly like your Oppo 103.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post

One reason the ST might be dropping in price is that I have heard that Panasonic has discontinued the line. I do prefer the Panasonic ZT over the Samsung myself. You will certainly like your Oppo 103.

Panasonic is ending production of all plasma models, not just the ST. if you want one, now is the time to buy one. The F8500 is capable of achieveing significantly higher brightness levels than the ZT60. The ZT60 is the king of deep blacks though. The F8500 will likely go on clearance after its successor is announced (knock on wood).

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Reply Speakers

Tags
Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite Sc 71 , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition
Gear in this thread - Pn64f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page