Curious about a few speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How do Klipsch 62's, Ascend 340's, and EmpTek 55/56 compare? I've only owned Klipsch so far so I'm not worried about the harshness that some have problems with since I don't think I notice it.

This is more about my curiosity in general than it is about me buying something in the near future.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 29
Any thoughts?

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #3 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by auceny View Post

How do Klipsch 62's, Ascend 340's, and EmpTek 55/56 compare? I've only owned Klipsch so far so I'm not worried about the harshness that some have problems with since I don't think I notice it.

This is more about my curiosity in general than it is about me buying something in the near future.
If youve had klipsch and liked the sound, go for klipsch. Iv owned sony, wharefedale, cerwin vega but when I heard klipsch I was hooked. I dont know any of the other speakers. Also movies or music? I got my klipsch for movies but music is great also.
post #4 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The EMP's are a fantastic value. I would rate them better than Klipsch.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #5 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

On what basis? Making blanket statements like this without qualification is pointless.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I can't speak for the Emp's, but I have heard the Klipsch and for me on a personal level they were a bit forward sounding. I own a 340 center paired with the 170's and can speak a little about them. The 340 is an MTM 2-way design unlike the Emp's 2.5 or 3 way design(having just looked them up they appear to be a 3-way), and are what some might call laid back. They are a very accurate speaker and will show the flaws in a recording. I listened to some music on them I thought sounded great on my Athena's but they sounded bad on the Ascend's. Mainly due to being poorly recorded, while a good recording sounded very solid. If you enjoy the sound of the Klipsch you may want to stick with them. If you can find some people near you that own the Emp's or the Ascend's try and set up a listening time to see how you like their sound. One other thing to note is the Emp's are a 6-ohm speaker with an 85db sensitivity and the Ascend's are 8-ohm and have around a 91-95db sensitivity, just an FYI.

Cliff
post #7 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

On what basis? Making blanket statements like this without qualification is pointless.
Because EMP Tek is an online retailer with a really great reputation here amongst nearly everyone that has purchased their speakers. Klipsch is well known for massively inflating their specs and sounding somewhat harsh.

Also having nearly 40 years of experience in the audio video field I think I'm capable of making a valid comparison.

post #8 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Un
Quote:

Because EMP Tek is an online retailer with a really great reputation here amongst nearly everyone that has purchased their speakers. Klipsch is well known for massively inflating their specs and sounding somewhat harsh.

Also having nearly 40 years of experience in the audio video field I think I'm capable of making a valid comparison.

Unless you've heard them both in the same room preferably at the same time your "valid" comparison is nothing but conjecture and speculation and is anything but VAILD.

In fact it's not even a comparison at all.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #9 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure, ok. Real world specs must mean nothing then.rolleyes.gif

post #10 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Somewhat harsh is not how I would describe my setup. Crisp, clear and powerfull better describe klipsch, the larger speakers anyway. I still have no opinion on the others as I have not heard them.
post #11 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post

Quote:

Somewhat harsh is not how I would describe my setup. Crisp, clear and powerfull better describe klipsch, the larger speakers anyway. I still have no opinion on the others as I have not heard them.

A given speaker can easily sound vastly different in different rooms, and different locations in the same room. Experienced audiophiles know this.

It is possible to argue forever about how speakers sound and unless the discussion considers this iron-clad fact, its all vanity.
post #12 of 36 Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

A given speaker can easily sound vastly different in different rooms, and different locations in the same room. Experienced audiophiles know this.

It is possible to argue forever about how speakers sound and unless the discussion considers this iron-clad fact, its all vanity.
Agreed. I have attempted to eliminate reflections as much as I can by using fluffy rugs on the walls as yes my horns can sound bright. Optimizing your room is very important
post #13 of 36 Old 12-08-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

To some people Klipsch has a crisp sound, to others, they can sound harsh. To my ears they get fatiguing very quickly. It depends on your particular tastes. Horns done right are not harsh or fatiguing.

I'm a huge fan of the older Klipsch gear,Jubilees, Klipschorns,Hereseys, etc. the newer lines aren't my cup of tea.

post #14 of 36 Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:

To some people Klipsch has a crisp sound, to others, they can sound harsh. To my ears they get fatiguing very quickly. It depends on your particular tastes. Horns done right are not harsh or fatiguing.

I'm a huge fan of the older Klipsch gear,Jubilees, Klipschorns,Hereseys, etc. the newer lines aren't my cup of tea.
I got my setup primarily for movies which imo the reference series excell at. Just so happens that I think they play music great too.
post #15 of 36 Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

. Also, every experienced person knows that constant directivity speakers exhibit less room interaction than conventional type speakers, so you get more of the primary sound to your ears as opposed to getting a lot of the reflected sound. So room interaction has less of an effect and the speaker won't sound as different room to room as other speakers will.

Edited for clarity

post #16 of 36 Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

. Also, every experienced person knows that Leanna Decker speakers exhibit less room interaction than conventional type speakers, so you get the primary sound to your ears first as opposed to getting so much of the reflected sound.
Because of the shorter travel, you *always* get the direct sound first. (unless you are using indirect speakers or some other highly unusual situation)

Also: you don't actually seem to know what "constant directivity" even is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker#Constant_directivity

In specific, constant directivity resolves lobing problems in horns.
Quote:
So room interaction has less of an effect and the speaker won't sound as different room to room as other speakers will.
Huh? the bulk of room interaction problems are at low frequencies which are almost never from horn drivers (and even when they are, are omnidirectional against realistic non-infinite baffles, and which have issues even after crossing the room).
post #17 of 36 Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure, ok. Real world specs must mean nothing then.rolleyes.gif

Which specs would those be? You didn't cite any.
post #18 of 36 Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Because of the shorter travel, you *always* get the direct sound first. (unless you are using indirect speakers or some other highly unusual situation)

Also: you don't actually seem to know what "constant directivity" even is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker#Constant_directivity

In specific, constant directivity resolves lobing problems in horns.
Huh? the bulk of room interaction problems are at low frequencies which are almost never from horn drivers (and even when they are, are omnidirectional against realistic non-infinite baffles, and which have issues even after crossing the room).

Apparently, you only know some things about constant directivity horns.
Quote:
Home music and theater

Consumer audio employs horn loudspeakers for controlled directivity (to limit audio reflectionsfrom room surfaces such as walls, floor, and ceiling) and for greater speaker sensitivity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker

post #19 of 36 Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Which specs would those be? You didn't cite any.
Quote:
(I have recent Klipsch experience. Klipsch overstates sensitivity by 4-6 dB.) Sensitivity is critical because speakers tend to audibly thermal limit well below their maximum rated "RMS" input power. Some including myself specify 1/10th the RMS figure as the "1 dB dynamic compression" point. Even though speakers in this price category might typically safely handle "100Wrms" input power, they tend to audibly clip musical peaks beyond 1/10th their RMS power rating.

Check the sensitivity specs and do the math (subtract 4-6 dB from Klipsch's ridiculous spec). Manufacturers routinely over state sensitivity because it's a critical spec that largely determines overall performance. Check the speaker's acoustic output at 1/10th it's maximum RMS power rating.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/69247-official-1-000-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event-7.html#ixzz2nDgUl1DR

I have found many more instances where Klipsch regularly inflates their specs.

post #20 of 36 Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:

IME the only lines where Klipsch does not play fast and loose with specs are Heritage and Cinema. All the rest are inflated, some ludicrously so.
BTW, I wouldn't consider wiki an authoritative source. Some things they get right, some they don't. For instance, 'Due to the development in recent decades of more efficient cone loudspeakers, which have a flatter frequency response, use of horn speakers in high fidelity audio systems has declined' is just plain wrong. Cone drivers are no more efficient/sensitive today than they were 50 years ago. And as for 'A major problem of horn speakers is that the radiation pattern varies with frequency; high frequency sound tends be emitted in narrow beams with poor off-axis performance', the same applies to cone drivers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #21 of 36 Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Inflated sensitivity specs or not, MY rf82ii sound amazing to MY ears, And go louder than I can comfortably listen to running through my NAD amp. I still have no opinion on the others. Im sure they sound great and I will not down them.
post #22 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not trying to down Klipsch. I am only trying to give the OP information so he can make an informed decision on which speaker to purchase.

IMO, the Klipsch sound a bit harsh. Also, IMO, the EMP Teks are a better value for the money.

The OP started the thread to ask our opinions on the matter so that is what I am giving him.

post #23 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

IME the only lines where Klipsch does not play fast and loose with specs are Heritage and Cinema. All the rest are inflated, some ludicrously so.
BTW, I wouldn't consider wiki an authoritative source. Some things they get right, some they don't. For instance, 'Due to the development in recent decades of more efficient cone loudspeakers, which have a flatter frequency response, use of horn speakers in high fidelity audio systems has declined' is just plain wrong. Cone drivers are no more efficient/sensitive today than they were 50 years ago. And as for 'A major problem of horn speakers is that the radiation pattern varies with frequency; high frequency sound tends be emitted in narrow beams with poor off-axis performance', the same applies to cone drivers.

True, I usually don't trust Wiki either. I wast just using JL's own ammo against him.

post #24 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm the first one to admit I'm an amateur when it comes to the technical aspects. I definitely have a lot to learn. But I would hope after 40 years I'm able to discern between poor, mediocre, good and great sound.

post #25 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Un
Unless you've heard them both in the same room preferably at the same time your "valid" comparison is nothing but conjecture and speculation and is anything but VAILD.

Quote:

Un

Let the thread pan out on it's own. Let the OP read some posts. He doesn't care about "your" argument. Let "flyng-fool" make his logical statement....which by the way, "logical" is a synonym of "valid". It's okay for you to adore your speakers.

Espo77
post #26 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Un

Quote:

Un

Some speakers have certain characteristics about themselves that "play out" in any room, and the human brain simply remembers those characteristics.

Espo77
post #27 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Let the thread pan out on it's own. Let the OP read some posts. He doesn't care about "your" argument. Let "flyng-fool" make his logical statement....which by the way, "logical" is a synonym of "valid". It's okay for you to adore your speakers.

If your advice is to let the thread pan out, then why did you come in and take a crap on it?

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #28 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your advice is to let the thread pan out, then why did you come in and take a crap on it?

All I was doing was giving my opinion on why I believe the EMPTeks are a better value. I never stated that my opinion was the final authority on anything.

post #29 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I was doing was giving my opinion on why I believe the EMPTeks are a better value. I never stated that my opinion was the final authority on anything.
Quote:

Un

...and I can't speak for the OP, but I would think that this is the kind of info he was looking for.

Espo77
post #30 of 36 Old 12-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Un

While there is some truth to this statement, if everybody abided by these standards when talking about speakers, this forum would be nearly deserted.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page