Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

Check out the GoldenEar AON speakers. Given their unique design, I think they're much more forgiving in terms of room shape and placement.

Pelly_NV, what about side-mounted Low Frequency Radiators, are they not an issue reverberation? I am assuming they are on a shelf of some sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not an issue, athough I'm using Auralex MoPads under each...

Had them without the Auralex pads and no major issues.
post #63 of 71 Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha322 View Post

Pelly_NV, what about side-mounted Low Frequency Radiators, are they not an issue reverberation?
Low frequency radiation is omni-directional. Just as with ports it doesn't matter which direction passive radiators aim. .

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #64 of 71 Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You can make your own sound panels for really cheap though. Some wood furrings from home depot, some rock board 80 insulation panels, and thin cloth from hobby lobby.
post #65 of 71 Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a maximum height I should be watching out for on the placement of the bookshelf speakers in the wall-unit? also, is it best to have the center channel speaker under the TV in the wall-unit or can it be above, which will put it quite high?
post #66 of 71 Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

I own the HSU HB1 MK2 and decided on them on comparison to many other speakers in their price range due to the size and the horn loading.  They have large woofers for bookshelves at 6.5", and I was reading a lot about the negative effects of having speakers placed in bookshelf due to reflections and what have you.  With the horn design of the HSU, which is rare outside of Klipsch, I felt that the controlled directivity of the tweeters output would reduce the negative effects of being placed in a bookshelf compared to speaker with a flush mounted tweeter.  I am not positive if this is the case, perhaps Bill could comment on whether this would actually be beneficial in this instance or not.  My speakers are placed on the far left and right sides of the shelves they are placed on, toed in as suggested previously.

Also, these speakers are shallower than many other "larger" bookshelfs at 8", whereas many are 9-10" plus in depth.  Power handling seems quite high.  If you want to check this option out, I enjoyed the review done of these at hometheaterreview.com and stereomojo.com.  The one on audioholics is the much older version before they fixed the small sweet spot issue.

Bear123, Did you consider the Polk tsx220 (large front ported bookshelf) before deciding on the HSU speakers? Are the HSU speakers still doing well? Thanks!
post #67 of 71 Old 02-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Ignore the brands and prices.
Go listen and then buy from the store that let you listen.

I've been internet shopping for a few weeks and today popped into a store to listen for the first time.
Brands I thought I liked I hated in real life.
The one I thought I would like made my ears bleed.
The one that sounded the best to me was cheaper then I thought, and not something I would have even considered. So I'm going to another store and listening to different brands tomorrow.

You have to listen to them. The specs and brand and price don't really mean anything if the noise makes you cringe. Get the ones you enjoy and ignore us smile.gif

My noob $.02

BenQ W1070 - DENON AVR-E400 7.1 - SLS Q-Line Gold - Hsu VTF-2 MK4

Watch the progress http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517374/budget-build

post #68 of 71 Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsworth View Post

Bear123, Did you consider the Polk tsx220 (large front ported bookshelf) before deciding on the HSU speakers? Are the HSU speakers still doing well? Thanks!

Did not consider the Polk.  Yep they are doing great, very happy with them.  They can take all the power my little RXV-375 can throw at them.  Loud and clear on music louder than I ever care to listen, and amazing for movies.  Great imaging with these also.  They are spaced 12' apart, and at times I have to get up and check my center to make sure it is not on when listening to music.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #69 of 71 Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Did not consider the Polk.  Yep they are doing great, very happy with them.  They can take all the power my little RXV-375 can throw at them.  Loud and clear on music louder than I ever care to listen, and amazing for movies.  Great imaging with these also.  They are spaced 12' apart, and at times I have to get up and check my center to make sure it is not on when listening to music.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like this speaker would be ideal for my situation. Do you think the subwoofer would need to be HSU as well. I had read that these speakers are tuned for their HSU subwoofers? Don't know if that is true or not. It may factor in my decision.
post #70 of 71 Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 440
You can use any sub with those speakers. Of course, the better the sub, the better the sound. Hsu subs are some of the best at their price points though, so they are well worth considering, and you also get a package discount if you go with their speakers.
post #71 of 71 Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsworth View Post

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like this speaker would be ideal for my situation. Do you think the subwoofer would need to be HSU as well. I had read that these speakers are tuned for their HSU subwoofers? Don't know if that is true or not. It may factor in my decision.

These speakers match well with any good subwoofer, as they play flat to about 60 Hz.  This enables them to blend very well with a subwoofer crossed over at 80Hz.  Lower quality bookshelf speakers, or satellite speakers often do not play that low, which means a sub has to be crossed much higher.  Over 80-100 Hz, some can start to tell where the bass is coming from (i.e. the sub instead of the speakers).  Normally, crossed at 80 Hz, a subwoofer can not easily be located audibly, which makes it sound as though your main speakers are producing all the sound, including the bass.

The only potential drawbacks you might consider with these is that you should keep the tweeters close to ear level for the best sound, and personally, I don't much like the way they look with the grilles off, but I leave mine on.,

There are many good quality bookshelf speakers in the $300/pair price range so take your time and look around, but I can't imagine you would be disappointed with these.

As far as HSU's subwoofers, they are right up there among the best of any other ID sub in their price ranges, and you might get a package discount if you purchase them together with a sub.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Sm65 Bookshelf Speaker

User Tag List