Home Theater Component Match - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First of all, a big thanks to this community.  I've spent a significant amount of time here researching and AV decisions.  Forum searches have gotten by to this point but now I could use a bit of specific help.  

I've recently purchased a Samsung UN65F6300 and am now trying to line up a budget audio package.  I bought a Denon AVR-E300 with the intention of using the well recommended Energy Take Classic 5.1 (a friend has them and I found them to be very acceptable) package of speakers but was recently given 4 Bowers & Wilkins LM-1 speakers as a hand me down.  Since these seem to be far better speakers than what I would end up with the Energy's above, I wanted to try and use that $350 (ideally less) to buy a center and a subwoofer.

I've all put decided on the Polk CS2 Series II center channel with a Polk PSW505 subwoofer (really trying to hold out for a $200 price tag) but wanted to check in and see if there's anything glaringly wrong with the package.  Ended up with both of these as they seem well regarded and the price point is in line with what I intend to spend.  I had also considered the Polk PSW10 for it's attractive price point.

The room is about 20.5 x 13 (the television and speakers will be setup across the smaller dimension).  Ceilings are 13 ft (wall where the tv is mounted) sloping to 8 ft (back towards this wall when watching TV).  The subwoofer will be placed in a corner.  Not looking to wow anyone with the home stereo just want robust and clear sound.  Will also be used for music but this is very secondary (hardly worth mentioning.)

Summary:

Existing Equipment:
Denon AVR-E300
4x Bowers & Wilkins LM-1

Would the following be acceptable:
Polk CS2 Series II Center Channel
Polk PSW505 Sub (possibly Polk PSW10 to save $130)

So, what I'm hoping you could weigh in on is whether this would make an acceptable home theater system.  

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Since the B&W LM-1 is an older speaker I've included a link to a brief summary of their specs:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/b-and-w/lm1/prd_123858_4290crx.aspx

post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Was hoping to order the center channel today at a minimum to take advantage of some decent pricing.

Any help?

post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 389
If you've got 4 B&W speakers then you need a B&W center. The Polk center will not be a tonal match.

Polk PSW505 is WAY better than the PSW10. Spend the extra money.

Just run your system in Phantom mode...no center channel speaker.

Afro GT
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately a B&W center looks like it will set me back more than I was hoping to spend on a center and a sub.

Would this be a glaring, unacceptable misalignment or something that a beginner would be contented with?

post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 199
As afrogt said, do without a mis-matched center altogether and spend the most you can on a sub.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Am2185 A Cs2 Series Ii Center Channel Speaker , Denon Avr E300 , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Samsung Un65f6300 65 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Psw505 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page