Budget HT Recommendations - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kookehs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Budget

~$200

 

Room

15'x15'x10'

Carpet

 

Purpose

Used for movies, music, and games (mostly music)

Will be placed on desk and stands

 

Background

Currently using a pair of Dayton B652 speakers and Dayton SUB-800

Interested in a 5.1 system

Possibly wireless for rear speakers though it may be out of the budget

 

 

Was looking into the Dayton HTS-1200b, but not sure what's a good upgrade at this point. Then again I already have a pair of speakers and could buy other individual speakers to complete set. I'll also need a receiver if going the 5.1 route. Upgrade doesn't have to match what I currently have. Looking for suggestions and recommendations.

kookehs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 3,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
what are you powering your current speakers and sub with . as you mentioned a desk will these be used with nearfield computer set up

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Member
 
skater2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's an extremely challenging price range for what you want. I'm sure a lot of people will tell you to do some price hunting for used equipment, and to stick with a 2.1 or 3.1 system (especially if you're not wired for surround). I use a MartinLogan MLT-2 system for my downstairs TV, and am pretty happy with that, although they are relatively small satellite speakers. You may find a Christmas sale that puts that system below $200 at Newegg.com (it was under $200 on Black Friday). Be sure to register it immediately with MartinLogan, though - the subwoofers have a history of amplifier problems (although mine has been fine), and you'll want to extend the warranty to protect yourself against that. I'm not sure that's better than what you have, though.
kookehs likes this.
skater2 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,473
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 717
You will have to stretch your budget some - Look at Denon/Boston
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html
kookehs likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
psychobrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You will have to stretch your budget some - Look at Denon/Boston
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html

This is the way I'd go if I had a $200 budget. Nice find.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
psychobrew is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kookehs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

what are you powering your current speakers and sub with . as you mentioned a desk will these be used with nearfield computer set up

I'm using a Lepai LP-168HA. I'm not familiar with the term near-field, so I will have to respond with no. My desk is about 2'x3' and stands just short of 3' high.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater2 View Post

That's an extremely challenging price range for what you want. I'm sure a lot of people will tell you to do some price hunting for used equipment, and to stick with a 2.1 or 3.1 system (especially if you're not wired for surround). I use a MartinLogan MLT-2 system for my downstairs TV, and am pretty happy with that, although they are relatively small satellite speakers. You may find a Christmas sale that puts that system below $200 at Newegg.com (it was under $200 on Black Friday). Be sure to register it immediately with MartinLogan, though - the subwoofers have a history of amplifier problems (although mine has been fine), and you'll want to extend the warranty to protect yourself against that. I'm not sure that's better than what you have, though.

How come they are discounted at such a great rate?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You will have to stretch your budget some - Look at Denon/Boston
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html

I'll keep an eye on this one. Hopefully when the holidays come around it'll be slightly cheaper.

kookehs is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
psychobrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post


I'll keep an eye on this one. Hopefully when the holidays come around it'll be slightly cheaper.

I wouldn't count on it. For a receiver and all speakers, you're asking a lot for your budget.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
psychobrew is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Member
 
skater2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post

How come they are discounted at such a great rate?

Because they're a long-discontinued model, and the subwoofer amplifiers have been a bit hit-or-miss (like I mentioned before, mine was great), although MartinLogan has been standing by replacing them under warranty.

They're basically Paradigm Cinema 90 speakers (another discontinued model - Paradigm and MartinLogan are owned by the same parent company), except for the subwoofer, if that allows you to do some more research.

I just noticed that you'll need a receiver if you're going 5.1. The only way you're going to come close to that is the Denon/Boston Acoustics idea suggested above.
skater2 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Luisfc1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
wow thats a pretty good deal on a 5.1 budget setup that includes audyssey multeq
Luisfc1972 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,812
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
The Denon 1513BA doesn't use Audyssey at all. No room calibration software.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,812
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post


How come they are discounted at such a great rate?

I'll keep an eye on this one. Hopefully when the holidays come around it'll be slightly cheaper.

$229 is the sale price. The same refurb system is $350 on the Denon website.
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&pcatid=refurbishedprocat%28denonna%29&catid=hometheatersystemsref%28denonna%29&pid=dht1513ba%28denonna%29&isref=1

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kookehs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skater2 View Post


Because they're a long-discontinued model, and the subwoofer amplifiers have been a bit hit-or-miss (like I mentioned before, mine was great), although MartinLogan has been standing by replacing them under warranty.

They're basically Paradigm Cinema 90 speakers (another discontinued model - Paradigm and MartinLogan are owned by the same parent company), except for the subwoofer, if that allows you to do some more research.

I just noticed that you'll need a receiver if you're going 5.1. The only way you're going to come close to that is the Denon/Boston Acoustics idea suggested above.

Oh that explains it. Ah didn't notice that the MartinLogan doesn't include a receiver. That's a bummer.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The Denon 1513BA doesn't use Audyssey at all. No room calibration software.

It reads in the description that is does or am I interpreting it wrong?

 

I've been reading some reviews on the Denon, but I'm not familiar with which brands are good since I don't purchase a lot of audio equipment. Any have some experience with Denon? Also am I better off purchasing a whole system rather than to add a receiver, a center, and two surrounds?

kookehs is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Luisfc1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
well the description at accessories for less says it does. maybe they need correct it.


"High-Definition Audio Support
The AVR-1513 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ automatically sets speakers to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics."


i also just looked at the denon 1513 by itself without speakers, and there is no audyssey description there.
Luisfc1972 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,473
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post

I've been reading some reviews on the Denon, but I'm not familiar with which brands are good since I don't purchase a lot of audio equipment. Any have some experience with Denon? Also am I better off purchasing a whole system rather than to add a receiver, a center, and two surrounds?

Your budget has already answered your question - unless you raise the budget.

We tend to recommend Denon for a reason - because their receivers are nice,
and I do own one.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kookehs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Your budget has already answered your question - unless you raise the budget.

We tend to recommend Denon for a reason - because their receivers are nice,
and I do own one.

Ah alright. I'm considering but on the fence. Need something that will push me over, but what about the Audyssey? How are the speakers that come with it?

I ask because I don't want to store away current setup. Is there a difference between bookshelf speakers and surrounds? Could I purchase the same speakers I have now, with a center, and a receiver? Or would that not even compare to the quality of the Denon?
kookehs is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,473
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post

Ah alright. I'm considering but on the fence. Need something that will push me over, but what about the Audyssey? How are the speakers that come with it?

I ask because I don't want to store away current setup. Is there a difference between bookshelf speakers and surrounds? Could I purchase the same speakers I have now, with a center, and a receiver? Or would that not even compare to the quality of the Denon?

The Boston midrange and treble will be on a higher level than the Dayton speakers.
For the most part - to buy a receiver will cost about the same as this package >>
and you get a complete system with this package. >> Boston is one of the better
speaker companies out there.

While most people enjoy or need Audyssey - I do not use it, and have no desire for
it. - however, I am in the minority on this. There is only so much that can be done
with your budget - a bigger budget, can gain you more options.

This receiver will have Audyssey - Denon 1613
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

Pioneer bookshelf speaker here - $49 after rebate - buy 2 pair and use one as a
center channel.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

Use the Dayton as surrounds or donate the Dayton speakers to Goodwill. Also the word
is, that the current Dayton speakers are lesser quality than the older ones.

Your call.
kookehs likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kookehs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

While most people enjoy or need Audyssey - I do not use it, and have no desire for
it. - however, I am in the minority on this. There is only so much that can be done
with your budget - a bigger budget, can gain you more options.

This receiver will have Audyssey - Denon 1613
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

Pioneer bookshelf speaker here - $49 after rebate - buy 2 pair and use one as a
center channel.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

Use the Dayton as surrounds or donate the Dayton speakers to Goodwill. Also the word
is, that the current Dayton speakers are lesser quality than the older ones.

Your call.

Thanks zieglj01. As for the speakers Pioneer or Boston better? I thought about getting the Pioneer speakers and receiver you recommend in use with my current setup. I'll eventually upgrade towards SP-PK22BS buying individual components as they're cheaper given that I like Pioneer. Thoughts?

kookehs is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Member
 
skater2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I can't speak for the Boston Acoustics speakers, but the Pioneers are highly regarded. They hired Andrew Jones, a high-end speaker designer, to design budget speakers, so they aren't just something slapped together to occupy a market space. My guess is that the Pioneer's larger woofer would make it superior to the BA speakers, but that's not a result of any direct comparison on my part. The model at Newegg is that cheap only because there's a newer model, and they're trying to get rid of the discontinued model, which is the reason for a lot of Newegg's discounts. Zieglj01's suggestion (find a refurbished receiver at Accessories4less.com, inexpensive but good discontinued model Pioneer speakers from Newegg) is a pretty solid strategy for a budget system.
kookehs likes this.
skater2 is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,473
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post

Thanks zieglj01. As for the speakers Pioneer or Boston better? I thought about getting the Pioneer speakers and receiver you recommend in use with my current setup. I'll eventually upgrade towards SP-PK22BS buying individual components as they're cheaper given that I like Pioneer. Thoughts?

The bigger Pioneer speakers is preferred, over the the smaller Boston/Denon 1513 combo.

I would start building - just for your info, a good price on the C22 center here - you can move
the BS21 to surround duty later
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386775614&sr=8-5&keywords=pioneer+speakers
kookehs likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
psychobrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post

Thanks zieglj01. As for the speakers Pioneer or Boston better? I thought about getting the Pioneer speakers and receiver you recommend in use with my current setup. I'll eventually upgrade towards SP-PK22BS buying individual components as they're cheaper given that I like Pioneer. Thoughts?

The tweeters in the Pioneer speakers are a weak link. They lack detail. They might be slightly better in their lower range than the BA satellites, but the BA package comes with a powered woofer for bass. Boston Acoustics is a good brand.

I really don't think you will need Audyssey. It might help you get close at first, but many people go back and tweak the settings on their system after running calibration anyway.
kookehs likes this.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
psychobrew is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,473
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The bigger Pioneer speakers is preferred, over the the smaller Boston/Denon 1513 combo.

I would start building - just for your info, a good price on the C22 center here - you can move
the BS21 to surround duty later
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386775614&sr=8-5&keywords=pioneer+speakers

I am going to edit my post here >>>
Now for the Pioneer BS22 bookshelf and C22 center - I would aim for the modified version,
the center will be $90 and the bookshelf will only be $150 for the pair.

Take a look at this - and I also linked a subjective review of the modded BS22
http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1504913/affordable-accuracy-loudspeakers#post_24059597
kookehs likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kookehs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The bigger Pioneer speakers is preferred, over the the smaller Boston/Denon 1513 combo.

I would start building - just for your info, a good price on the C22 center here - you can move
the BS21 to surround duty later
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386775614&sr=8-5&keywords=pioneer+speakers
What about buying used ones? I see some for less but use like new guarantee that it will function the same as intended? I hear that refurbished goods are tested before being sold again is this not true with used goods? I'll start with the BS22's and C22. Later on I'll probably pick up those modified version and see how they compare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew View Post

The tweeters in the Pioneer speakers are a weak link. They lack detail. They might be slightly better in their lower range than the BA satellites, but the BA package comes with a powered woofer for bass. Boston Acoustics is a good brand.

I really don't think you will need Audyssey. It might help you get close at first, but many people go back and tweak the settings on their system after running calibration anyway.

If that's the case I can do without it. I'd actually enjoy tweaking it myself. Could anyone recommend a receiver that doesn't include Audyssey and not as many video ports. I really only need the 5.1 configuration and one or two video ports.
kookehs is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,473
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookehs View Post

What about buying used ones? I see some for less but use like new guarantee that it will function the same as intended? I hear that refurbished goods are tested before being sold again is this not true with used goods? I'll start with the BS22's and C22. Later on I'll probably pick up those modified version and see how they compare.

Buying used is a good option - make sure they look nice enough for you.

If you do not want Audyssey - then this
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1513/DENON-AVR-1513-5.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-3D-ready/1.html
kookehs likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off