Question about Center Channel Speaker placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Guys,

As some of you may know, I recently bought a Klipsch RC-64ii center speaker, along with 2 Klipsch RF-7ii speakers. I've had a HELL of a time trying to find a TV stand (or entertainment console) that will fit the giant RC-64ii center speaker!

The main problem is, is that it is 8" tall, and 36" wide. Very, very few units have shelves that are that big, apparently.

As such, I haven't even hooked it up yet! frown.gif

I've found a couple possible solutions, but I wanted to know what you guys thought about it before I shelled out money.

Possible Stands:

#1) I found a stand that is table-height, where the TV would be sitting on top at eye-level (when sitting). It has a horizontal shelf right below the top surface, which is just big enough to fit my speaker..... however..... it has a 1" vertical support bar right in the front-middle of the shelf. Would this 1" piece of wood in front of the speaker cause sonic problems??

#2) I found a nice entertainment console, where the TV has a big horizontal shelf right above the TV. Is it bad to place the center channel speaker ABOVE the TV? Is that too high for good sound? http://homegallerystores.com/shop/porter_complete_entertainment_center.html?cse=google&mr:trackingCode=42C3243C-6AFE-DF11-9612-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=35078276881&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=60278810161&mkwid=qxGVldE2&pcrid=35078276881&origin=pla&gclid=CLni9_vvqLsCFa10QgodeisAtA

#3) I found a nice, wide, TV stand, where my speaker would fit in a shelf below the TV. However, the stand is kind of short, and the speaker would be sitting about knee-level. Is that too low for good sound?

Finally, if someone could link me a stand that fits this exact speaker, in an ideal setup configuration..... I would be awesomely grateful! It is 8" tall, 36" wide, 13" deep.

(I do not want to wall-mount my TV, as I don't want to damage the wall)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 726
I have no suggestions. Sorry. But I do feel your pain. I had to go for the smaller of the two center speakers for my system because of furniture.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
My CC speaker (a DefTech ProCenter 2000, much smaller than yours) is on a shelf attached directly to the top of my TV, and tilted down. The downward angle roughly converges with the toe-in of the mains, and the result at the listening position is a solid image that appears to emanate from screen height.

When my CC was below the screen, maybe 20" above the floor, it sounded awful in our carpeted room full of upholstered furniture. Getting it up above the screen was a huge improvement.

Can you set up a temporary shelf above the TV, maybe with a couple of 6' ladders and a board, and experiment?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's Easy enough to make one if you have any wood working skills at all. Mine is tied to the back of the tv stand & so is the tv because we get occasional earthquakes.

post #5 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

My CC speaker (a DefTech ProCenter 2000, much smaller than yours) is on a shelf attached directly to the top of my TV, and tilted down. The downward angle roughly converges with the toe-in of the mains, and the result at the listening position is a solid image that appears to emanate from screen height.

When my CC was below the screen, maybe 20" above the floor, it sounded awful in our carpeted room full of upholstered furniture. Getting it up above the screen was a huge improvement.

Can you set up a temporary shelf above the TV, maybe with a couple of 6' ladders and a board, and experiment?

Here's a noob question... if I set it on a shelf above the TV, how could I angle the speaker down towards my ears?

Furthermore, does anyone like this unit? I think it would fit my needs. http://homegallerystores.com/shop/porter_complete_entertainment_center.html?cse=google&mr:trackingCode=42C3243C-6AFE-DF11-9612-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=35078276881&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=60278810161&mkwid=qxGVldE2&pcrid=35078276881&origin=pla&gclid=CLni9_vvqLsCFa10QgodeisAtA
post #6 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

I have a question. That speaker is not rear ported as far as I can tell. Why not build a simple shelf and attach it to the wall above and behind the TV using decorative shelf brackets. That would cost you maybe $50. Plus it would be very easy to add a wedge to the shelf so the speaker is pointing down at you (if you need to).  

Since it's not rear ported you shouldn't need to be too concerned about it's proximity to the wall.

You could easily have a nice piece of finish grade plywood (perhaps Aspen) cut to size, stain or paint it and attach it to nice brackets. Everything you need is at Home Depot or Lowes. 

Would that work in your situation?

post #7 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

Here's a noob question... if I set it on a shelf above the TV, how could I angle the speaker down towards my ears?

Furthermore, does anyone like this unit? I think it would fit my needs. http://homegallerystores.com/shop/porter_complete_entertainment_center.html?cse=google&mr:trackingCode=42C3243C-6AFE-DF11-9612-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=35078276881&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=60278810161&mkwid=qxGVldE2&pcrid=35078276881&origin=pla&gclid=CLni9_vvqLsCFa10QgodeisAtA

Just shim the back edge. A strip or two of lathe, for example.

A s for the furniture, my only caveat is to make sure your electronics are not enclosed behind doors; never let heat build up around receivers, digital video units, or disc players.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #8 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am now leaning towards this stand, as the middle shelf is 8.25" tall

http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-95382-sonax-milan-60-quick-click-tv-console-b-051-lmt.aspx

I didn't want to spend $1300 like the other stand. If the sound is poor on the middle shelf, I could set the speaker on the top shelf... and either set the TV on top of it, or mount the TV on the wall I guess.

Anyone like this idea?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:

I could set the speaker on the top shelf... and either set the TV on top of it, or mount the TV on the wall I guess.
Depends on your seating. If it's a straight backed chair or couch it may be OK that low, the screen too. I sit in a recliner and my best screen position is with the screen center 6 feet above the floor, leaving plenty of room for the center below it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-95382-sonax-milan-60-quick-click-tv-console-b-051-lmt.aspx

I didn't want to spend $1300 like the other stand. If the sound is poor on the middle shelf, I could set the speaker on the top shelf... and either set the TV on top of it, or mount the TV on the wall I guess.

Anyone like this idea?

I like this Sonax stand the best out of all you've showed us. Modern...contemporary...open...nice. Like rdclark said above, heat is electronics worst enemy. I have been through so many different racks/entertainment centers over the years. It can be a real pain hiding wires...keeping wires separated from one another, and preventing heat build up. But this is part of the fun! You get to DIY. Satisfaction comes along with that. Just a general rule is to keep the tweeters on the same level...but angling them toward the seats works. You will need to try different positions until it sounds good to you...and looks good too.

Espo77
post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Anyone like this idea?

Do you already have a tv stand? Like others have suggested why not try placing it above the tv? They sell mounts that attach to your tv for under $50. Or if you are wanting a new entertainment center sense you bought new speakers that one above looks nice.

How big is your tv?

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
post #12 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the back of the entertainment center open? Do you want to place it directly up against the back wall? My wood entertainment center is, so I drilled holes in the shelves themselves and ran all wires inside the cabinet instead of outside. The wires can actually be very organized this way.

Espo77
post #13 of 13 Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about something like this?

It´s what I have in my apt. It is a very modern design, which basically consists in a brown base in which you can put bds, cables or whatever, and then there is a big "L" which rests in the back wall. So you can stick your tv to the back panel and in the lower panels you can place all the equipment you want and you will not have any space restriction.

Regards
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Definitive Technology Procenter 2000 Compact Center Speaker Single Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page