post #91 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Thought Lucas was the one who worked with Ken Kreisel for THX speakers, thus M&K not B&W.....

I think this whole thing got started when someone said that Lucas = THX and that he uses B&W speakers.

To which I responded, "If Lucas = THX, then why doesn't he uses THX speakers INSTEAD of B&W?" biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think this whole thing got started when someone said that Lucas = THX
Lucas is no more= THX than he is = visual effects. He writes, produces and directs. Where sound and visuals are concerned he has/had people to do that, Skywalker Sound (nee Sprocket Systems) and Industrial Light and Magic. Buying speakers based on what he listens to is as sensible as buying a car based on what he drives. Chances are he got whatever speakers he listens to via a gopher anyway.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #93 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Lucas is no more= THX than he is = visual effects. He writes, produces and directs. Where sound and visuals are concerned he has/had people to do that, Skywalker Sound (nee Sprocket Systems) and Industrial Light and Magic. Buying speakers based on what he listens to is as sensible as buying a car based on what he drives. Chances are he got whatever speakers he listens to via a gopher anyway.

Agree 100% there. biggrin.gif
post #94 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
x2 ^

Russ
post #95 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I think this whole thing got started when someone said that Lucas = THX and that he uses B&W speakers.

To which I responded, "If Lucas = THX, then why doesn't he uses THX speakers INSTEAD of B&W?" biggrin.gif
Quote:

OK, let me get this right. George Lucas is so concerned and obsessed with sound that he hired Tomlinson Holman to design the audio mixing facilities at Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch which eventually led to the THX standard. Lucas spent his hard earned money seeking the best audio experience possible which took YEARS but he isn't really concerned with audio? He just uses whatever speakers some gopher brings him? LMBO! What was said was, George Lucas uses B&W speakers at his Skywalker Ranch mixing studio. Bill has pointed out, it's not actually George Lucas running the studio himself but rather the professionals of Skywalker Sound and those guys chose B&W speakers for the studio. So I stand by my statement, the fact that George Lucas uses B&W speakers in the world class Skywalker Ranch mixing studio is a testament to how good the speaker is.
post #96 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post

So I stand by my statement, the fact that George Lucas uses B&W speakers in the world class Skywalker Ranch mixing studio is a testament to how good the speaker is.
I'd say it's a testament to how good whoever outfitted the studio thought they were. Not that there's any reason not to use B&W, but they're neither better nor worse than dozens of other choices.

post #97 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

OK, let me get this right. George Lucas is so concerned and obsessed with sound that he hired Tomlinson Holman to design the audio mixing facilities at Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch which eventually led to the THX standard. Lucas spent his hard earned money seeking the best audio experience possible which took YEARS but he isn't really concerned with audio? He just uses whatever speakers some gopher brings him? LMBO! What was said was, George Lucas uses B&W speakers at his Skywalker Ranch mixing studio. Bill has pointed out, it's not actually George Lucas running the studio himself but rather the professionals of Skywalker Sound and those guys chose B&W speakers for the studio. So I stand by my statement, the fact that George Lucas uses B&W speakers in the world class Skywalker Ranch mixing studio is a testament to how good the speaker is.

Either that or it could mean B&W gave them a set of speakers, so that B&W would be able to say, their speakers were selected above others for Skywalker Ranch. You never know what deals go on. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #98 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Same with de lane lea's endorsement deal

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #99 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Either that or it could mean B&W gave them a set of speakers, so that B&W would be able to say, their speakers were selected above others for Skywalker Ranch. You never know what deals go on. smile.gif
There's that too. If B&W advertises this fact then it's a pretty safe bet it's a product placement deal. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but one must be aware that there's a number of reasons why every judge on American Idol appears to prefer Coca-Cola, and they're all the color green. wink.gif

post #100 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

It's not just Skywalker sound. Abby road: the largest recording studio in the world makes heavy use of B&W.
post #101 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And bill doesn't make speaker... he just puts drivers designed and made by other people in cabinets made of wood milled by other people with crossovers of parts made designed and made by other people. He's worse than George Lucas.

Seriously Bill, you just sound bitter and jealous in that post. Lucas has, yes with the assistance of many others whom he hired and set goals for, made huge changes in how movies are made and shown. Whether it's the invention of NLE and the editing-based pacing that came from it, or his contributions to digital recording and editing, or motion control, or the many millions he's poured into education for future innovators; he has contributed far more than you or I ever will.

And no. If not for Lucas, none of us would have ever heard of THX (if it even existed, which would be unlikely).
post #102 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Nobody mentioned Magnepan 1.7 's?!
post #103 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Quote:

It's not just Skywalker sound. Abby road: the largest recording studio in the world makes heavy use of B&W.

This is more what I was originally thinking I'd read, that Abbey Road had B&W speakers (and some fancy magic type cables, too IIRC). Hadn't seen anything about Skywalker having B&W until this thread but then my memory.....

post #104 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Why is almost every post you make accompanied by a million biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif:

Damn good question!!!! He does it every time. Even on other forums.
post #105 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 19
Another vote for the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower. Had a chance to hear them a while back and they are great. They are my next speaker..
post #106 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 281
If THX is so serious and super picky on choosing the best, why they put a THX logo on cheap pc speakers like ,Logitech,klipsch,altec Lansing ,creative,also onkyo THX home theater in a box,to me is just all about marketing, if they use B&W speakers they must be getting paid to promote that brand its plain and simple. Studio speakers must be flat and accurate with very low distortion, that its something that only a active speaker can do better.

advertisements are everywhere.....even on this page....lol

THX has lost their integrity with all this.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #107 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

If THX is so serious and super picky on choosing the best, why they put a THX logo on cheap pc speakers
Because the current owners of the THX name, Creative Labs, is paid a royalty every time it appears on a product. To maximize how many times it happens there are various classifications of THX, which pretty much insures that if you want it on your speaker, and are willing to pay for the right to wear that logo, you can.

post #108 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

THX has lost their integrity with all this.
It is possible that the situation has changed since I last looked closely and the brand has been diluted.
post #109 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM

You could always go with 40 8" subs from monoprice and stack them into a beautiful wall?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2

All joking aside I'm having this exact same "issue".  It's hard not to go for those focal chorus 836vs on music direct.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139685-focal-chorus-836v-tower-speakers-pr.aspx?source=igodigital&

post #110 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

Because the current owners of the THX name, Creative Labs, is paid a royalty every time it appears on a product. To maximize how many times it happens there are various classifications of THX, which pretty much insures that if you want it on your speaker, and are willing to pay for the right to wear that logo, you can.

This is so true. It's sad because it lures unsuspecting consumers into the trap of buying lesser products based on a logo that they were led to believe meant something. It happens all the time, the watering down of product lines for easy cash. Consumer beware.

I'm not saying that B&W are not good speakers because I think they are. But it has nothing to do with the THX logo.

post #111 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by m7lenart View Post

You could always go with 40 8" subs from monoprice and stack them into a beautiful wall?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2

All joking aside I'm having this exact same "issue".  It's hard not to go for those focal chorus 836vs on music direct.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139685-focal-chorus-836v-tower-speakers-pr.aspx?source=igodigital&
I absolutely hate those grills on the bookshelves, but it doesn't look bad on the towers.
post #112 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 676

wow.. just asking for a option for floorstanders end up in a whole conversation about THX crap you can find in a wiki page lol

seriously.... speaking of hijacking a topic lmao

anyways ....

try these and you forget about any too-much-money costing crap there is .  http://www.millon.nl/-.cobra3.aluminium.luidsprekers.html  @ 2000€ a set. just a bit more then the 2000$ but so much worth it.

edit: i forgot... they use mark levinson in this hollywood mixing studios.. for a reason..

music first likes this.

Klipsch RF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz

Yamaha YST-SW800/1500 Subwoofers 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz

Yamaha RX-463 Amp 5x100W RMS

Monitor flatline 1.5mm pro wire

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #113 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

seriously.... speaking of hijacking a topic
Not if the OP might be led by some to believe that a THX sticker makes a speaker worth any more than one without one. Well, actually, it does...to THX. wink.gif

post #114 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not if the OP might be led by some to believe that a THX sticker makes a speaker worth any more than one without one. Well, actually, it does...to THX. wink.gif

i didn't have the impression he was considering that. THX is just a sticker nowadays and it says that a speaker meet the THX standards.. for what that is worth nowadays. most audiophile speakers do easily meet that standard and are far superior to most THX certified stuff. Clearly he was looking to some floorstanders that have a lower then 80hz freq spec lol

i think OP is more happy to hear recommendations on good speakers than he would consider buying a THX. that said... let us give him some good options for the money he want to spend on floorstanders that are aestaticly nice.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #115 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i didn't have the impression he was considering that.
Neither did I, but the point was brought up, as if it actually means anything.

post #116 of 131 Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Neither did I, but the point was brought up, as if it actually means anything.

it does.. for a THX setup.. not for floorspeakers for stereomusic

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #117 of 131 Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 11
I know i'm coming a little late to this thread but I've got to back up some of the suggestions others have made. Specifically, the Salk Songtowers. I own a pair of Songtowers and they are really very good. The midrange is quite clear and articulate. In my mind there are 3 great points to be made about the Salk Songtowers:

1. Sound Quality, especially considering the price. Internet Direct certainly has its benefits

2. Customization: you can choose virtually any finish your heart deserves at a cost (usually not too high) of course but he also has several standard finishes that are very tasteful and should please almost anybody. You can also customize the actual speaker components and design as well. You can have the speaker front ported. You can upgrade the tweeter too.

3. Customer service: I can personally attest to this. I just recently sent my songtowers back in to be refinished. I had purchased my speakers in basic black satin finish however, I believe do to changes in humidity, the boxes began to expand and shrink ever so slightly causing the finish to peal and chip in some places (very small but ever so slightly noticeable). I contacted Jim, and he has built new cabinets for the speakers with a custom wood finish for me at what I consider to be a minimal cost and will be well worth it. Also, Jim sent me the name and contact info of a local man named Bryan, who owned a pair of songtowers when I was considering the purchase. I demoed the speakers at Bryans home and shortly after ordered my own pair. Bryan and I became really good friends and because of him I have a Vinyl addiction smile.gif. We still stay in touch even though he and his wife have since moved to costa rica.

Just to show that I am not just a Salk fan boy I would suggest auditioning the Golden Ear Triton range and the KEF LS50. Though I have not personally heard these speakers the reviews have me quite intrigued and I hope to hear them soon even though I am not in the market to buy. I have also heard the Nola Boxer and it is a really nice speaker as well
post #118 of 131 Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

THX is just a sticker nowadays
The Klipsch KL650 is THX. It was measured by 2 independent 3rd parties (AH & HTM) to be +/- 1.0 dB on axis and smooth off-axis. So I think THX does mean at least one thing - that THX speakers measure well.
post #119 of 131 Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

THX is just a sticker nowadays
The Klipsch KL650 is THX. It was measured by 2 independent 3rd parties (AH & HTM) to be +/- 1.0 dB on axis and smooth off-axis. So I think THX does mean at least one thing - that THX speakers measure well.

it means Klipsch rulez and they wipe the floor with these THX blabla ^^

but this topic was about stereo floorstanders wasn't it ?

m7lenart likes this.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #120 of 131 Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Where do you see that it has smooth off axis response? Just curious. I've only been able to find very limited measurements of that speaker.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel , Kef , Svs , Definitive Technology Bp8060st Supertower System , Ascend Acoustics
Gear in this thread - Bp8060st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page