Center Speaker Suggestions-Klipsch, BA, Definitive, Energy, Cambridge??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'll start out by saying that I have a very small living area and am just looking to buy a center speaker to take care of my audio for movies and TV and such. I've just sold a pair of Klipsch RF-42 speakers due to space limitations, hence the lone center speaker. True it is not ideal but it is what I have to work with for now. Dimensions I have to work with are 18"wide x 7.5"height and plenty of depth (19"). These are the actual dimension of the space in the TV stand so ideally a bit smaller but for the right one I would "make it work"! From some recent searches I've of narrowed it down to the following and would just like some additional input.

-Klipsch RC-42

-Boston Acoustics A225C

-Definitive Technologies ProCenter 1000

-Energy CC5

-Cambridge Audio S50

Again I have some spatial limitations and I'd like to keep the budget between $200-$300. I'd also consider a Polk center speaker or other suggestions that fit the criteria but most have been a bit larger that 18" wide, and 18" might be pushing it as that is the actual width of the space on the stand. Thanks so much for an additional comments/input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Do you have room for a soundbar?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I don't plan on having a soundbar. Pretty much just the center speaker for now. Not much to work with but it is what it is. Really just looking for anyone who has experience with the above speakers or something else in that price range that will fit the dimensions.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Huh, I have RC-64 and I woldn't change it for a thing. Now I don't know how much space do You have but if You ever plan to build a home theatre in future with a larger room that would be one speaker that You will never change
Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
So you'll just have a center with no right and left speakers? I don't know of any receivers that will let you set the front main speakers to NONE or OFF. So where does the sound go that was intended for the left and right speaker? You're gonna be missing some content.

Afro GT
Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You can get the DefTech PC1000 for $135 from bajawaverunner.... (I got one coming for Christmas), but you'd probably be better off with a small sound bar in that space or if you can mount the TV and soundbar on the wall.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So you'll just have a center with no right and left speakers? I don't know of any receivers that will let you set the front main speakers to NONE or OFF. So where does the sound go that was intended for the left and right speaker? You're gonna be missing some content.
No, I have fronts, surrounds and sobwoofer. I was just sugesting if he plans to build up in future 5.1 where to start from. And not regreting afterwards that he's bought a speaker he's gonna have to replace, 'cos buying better and bigger is actualy saving money afterwards.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
HTD Level Two center will fit - and look at the Level Two bookshelves
These 3 are close to your budget for the center.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

My preference and also close to budget, with free shipping - is the
Cambridge S50 with the S30 bookshelves
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Dark-Oak/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Dark-Oak/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by merceg100 View Post

No, I have fronts, surrounds and sobwoofer. I was just sugesting if he plans to build up in future 5.1 where to start from. And not regreting afterwards that he's bought a speaker he's gonna have to replace, 'cos buying better and bigger is actualy saving money afterwards.

I was actually responding to the OP natejens who wrote this...
Quote:
I'll start out by saying that I have a very small living area and am just looking to buy a center speaker to take care of my audio for movies and TV and such. I've just sold a pair of Klipsch RF-42 speakers due to space limitations, hence the lone center speaker. True it is not ideal but it is what I have to work with for now.

Now if he doesn't have anything but a center speaker he's missing out on some content since the main left and right speakers cannot be turned off on the receiver.

Afro GT
Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merceg100 View Post

Then ignore my soundbar post ... like afrogt I misunderstood your original post wink.gif
Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

HTD Level Two center will fit - and look at the Level Two bookshelves
These 3 are close to your budget for the center.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

My preference and also close to budget, with free shipping - is the
Cambridge S50 with the S30 bookshelves
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Dark-Oak/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Dark-Oak/1.html

+1 (Typically considered best to have matching brand/model LR mains and center.)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmmm. So I am not able to just have a lone center speaker for my volume? I've got a Denon AVR-391 receiver and had the left and rights hooked up to it previously. I guess I had not cosidered this possibility...

Old 12-14-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

OK Folks I appreciate everyone's comments. Obviously I am a bit new to this whole realm. So after a bit more research it sounds like I can't do just the center channel speaker alone... correct? Again not ideal but how about 2 bookshelf speakers and then a center channel? I think I could maybe get away with that. Dimensions restrictions for width is 18" for the center and about 9 for the bookshelves. I can adjust the shelves for height. I'll check out the HTD and Cambridge above. I'd like to keep the budget under $400 for now. Any additional suggestions? Thanks!

Old 12-14-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

O

Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Did a bit more searching and think for my budget and space limitations I am going to go with the Cambridge Audio S30's and S50 for $330 shipped unless anyone can suggest something better for the price and quality.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

At their price point the CA's are one of the best-bang-for-the-buck speakers wink.gif

The other recent development would be the Pioneer 22's series modded by Dennis Murphy. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505634/the-new-affordable-accuracy-monitor-from-philharmonic

Tags
Klipsch Rc 42 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Boston Acoustics A225c White Center Channel Speaker , Definitive Technology Procenter 1000 Compact Center Speaker Single Black , Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black , Cambridge Audio S50 Speaker Center Channel Dark Oak