Looking buy a newer set of speakers 2K - but asking for a lot - maybe too much? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-13-2013, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all --- Have been looking for awhile for new set of speakers.  I have a great pair of B&W matrix studio monitors (with Kevlon) - i like them but have been becoming increasingly frustrated by the their sheer almost pure reflection of recording qualities.  I listen to a lot of older recordings (and a few new) that are not well recorded at all and believe me its very noticeable.  I would like a good pair that delivers very open, transparent sound stage, add some better, fuller, tight bass, are quite a bit warmer than the "neutral" B&W's, but don't diminish the stunning clarity (particularly solo vocals) i have become accustomed to.  I listen in a fairly small space (maybe 14 by 18 - not fully enclosed) and sit about 10 feet away.  All i have is the Linn Classik all-in-one received /CD) to drive the speakers (Linn rates it as 75W per channel).  Am i asking for too much - at least for 2K or under?  Any help very much appreciated!!  -David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Just use tone controls and cut the treble.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-13-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Just use tone controls and cut the treble.
+1. Good speakers reveal what's on the recording, warts and all. If you don't like warts that doesn't mean you change to bad speakers that won't reveal them, you just apply some make-up to them.
cschang, 67jason and mr266 like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If your best recordings sound fantastic on your system - then you can't ask it to do more except applying the above mentioned tone controls for lesser recordings.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Have done everything suggested so far.  My reading suggests that there are considerable differences between "studio monitors" and "warmer" and more forgiving speakers like Totem Staafs, or PSB  I live too far away from urban centres to frequent hi-fi shops more than a couple times a year (at best).  Was hoping some out there would share some of their favourite "warm" yet "open" speakers (under 2K).  If anyone is willing to share please do. 

post #6 of 15 Old 12-14-2013, 07:08 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. Good speakers reveal what's on the recording, warts and all. If you don't like warts that doesn't mean you change to bad speakers that won't reveal them, you just apply some make-up to them.

You do if you want "warm." As soon as you want warm you no longer care about accuracy.
World-of-og likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The PSB Image T6 speakers are excellent speakers, and will match up perfectly with the Linn amplifier. They are easy to drive. At one point I was driving them quite nicely with a NAD C325, which is only 40W PC.

They run $1300 per pair, and are a steal at that price. I think you would love them. I would not call them "warm", but they do not have the excessive treble response that many speakers have; they are very accurate but quite neutral. They also have much better bass response than the B & K 683, which tends to be excessive and "boomy' in the mid-bass (even with the port plugs).

I had them for two years and liked them very much (I now have the Vandersteen Treo speakers...sound to die for... but they are $6500 and need a LOT of power).

I don't think there are any other speakers that can touch them for under $2000, with the possible exception of the Monitor Audio Silver RX-8.

Both The Absolute Sound and Stereophile picked the T6 as the best in that class, and selected them for "Recommended Systems" in some issues of the magazines.
World-of-og likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 11
Go and listen to golden ear triton 7 great speakers amazing imaging
post #9 of 15 Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Typically as I understand it accuracy refers to being accurate to the recording engineer's design (that the sound being produced is as close to that design as possible).   But what if that design is flawed (or done "cheap") - if most of the recordings one listens to were "badly" recorded?  What i want in speakers (at least i think i do) is as close to the same emotional experience at a live event that i can get.  Many of the poorer recordings short-circuit it that (am thinking here of almost all of The Electric Magnolia Co recordings).  I have started to think that perhaps "warmer" sounding speakers are more forgiving of "poorer" recordings.  I recently spent some time listening to a pair of older PSB Gold Stratus speakers (a friend inherited them), and i was amazed at their emotional musicality.  That experience is what started me questioning the "recording accuracy" impulse behind my purchase of the B&W Matrix studio monitors 5 years ago. 

post #10 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Accuracy means reproducing what is there with as little alteration as possible. Those who want accuracy hear whatever is in the recording as it was recorded, mixed and mastered - good or bad. Otherwise it is inaccurate - good or bad. It is simply hard to understand a desire for the latter but you should buy whatever appeals to you.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Well said...err, written.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #12 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by World-of-og View Post

Typically as I understand it accuracy refers to being accurate to the recording engineer's design (that the sound being produced is as close to that design as possible).   But what if that design is flawed (or done "cheap") - if most of the recordings one listens to were "badly" recorded?  What i want in speakers (at least i think i do) is as close to the same emotional experience at a live event that i can get.  Many of the poorer recordings short-circuit it that (am thinking here of almost all of The Electric Magnolia Co recordings).  I have started to think that perhaps "warmer" sounding speakers are more forgiving of "poorer" recordings.  I recently spent some time listening to a pair of older PSB Gold Stratus speakers (a friend inherited them), and i was amazed at their emotional musicality.  That experience is what started me questioning the "recording accuracy" impulse behind my purchase of the B&W Matrix studio monitors 5 years ago. 

If you buy an accurate speaker then you could always use EQ to make them sound as bad as you like. smile.gif

Also, in my experience, that "warm" sound that is so appealing in short listening sessions will eventually lose its appeal. Although bad recordings may sound better, excellent recordings will never sound great.

My car system is "warm" and crappy recordings always sound better on it, but great recordings fall flat. Of course, speaker selection is a very personal thing, but there is information that suggests that the vast majority of people will prefer a speaker with a flat FR over one that does not. So I feel comfortable steering you away from inaccurate speakers. "Warm" is just a nice way of saying "Inaccurate".

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #13 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Accuracy means reproducing what is there with as little alteration as possible. Those who want accuracy hear whatever is in the recording as it was recorded, mixed and mastered - good or bad. .
Not necessarily. I wouldn't want to hear a recording that was mastered on Altec A7s as accurately as possible. But that doesn't mean I'm going to keep a pair of A7s in my living room so that I can switch over to them anytime I listen to a recording from before 1975 or so. I just push the A/B button on my DSP and switch to an EQ patch that fixes it.
Most of you aren't old enough to be aware of it, but most of the remastered classics of the 60s-70s sound completely different from the originals, mostly because of the speakers used now versus then. It's most apparent to me on Stones tracks. Bill Wyman was never appreciated as a bassist in his day, mostly because he couldn't be heard, and that's because neither the studio monitors nor the consumer systems of the day could do justice to bass, so it just wasn't there in the mix. On the remixes he sounds really good. So do the acoustic guitar and piano tracks, which couldn't be heard at all on the original mixes. Remember that the #1 playback system of the 1960s was the AM radio in a car. That's what those classics were mixed to sound best on.
mr266 and World-of-og like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 13
+1 ^^^ agree with Bill.

"Warm" sounding speakers? I would agree with PSB, which I have only heard in various showroom settings. Same with Sonus Faber (heard their floorstanders - I believe only their bookshelf speakers would fit your $2K limit - or look for a used pair).

I have owned KEF 104/2's, and the midrange there was absolutely amazing - I'm still somewhat regretful at selling them. KEF usually focuses on midrange immediacy, so may produce the signature you're looking for. Same with Krix - which I auditioned in home MANY years ago. I just checked, and they're still in business (Australia), but unsure if their design focus have changed since listening to them.

I have only been told (not directly listened to) that ProAc is relatively forgiving, but you may have to listen for yourself.
World-of-og likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input - very much appreciated!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page