AVS Forum banner
33K views 1K replies 49 participants last post by  DaJoJo 
#1 ·
I'm planning a last minute Christmas surprise for my little sister. She's had some bad luck in her life growing up and I've put in everything I can to help her have a positive future. I'm planning on getting her, her own HT setup and gear that will be the surprise of a lifetime. She's only had a little 19 in screen in her room and plays music from her phone. The laptop the school gave her is useless and doesn't work. I'd like to give her room a makeover she will never forget! All support and suggestions are welcome

BTW all she's ask for on Christmas is to have a tree to decorate and Christmas music, what she doesn't know is that there'll be more than that!

Video is on my signature!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are a nice brother !! I didn't see a receiver in your list of items. If you don't buy a receiver then the soundbar may be your option. I don't know much about soundbars. If you go the receiver route then that will be a couple hundred leaving you less for speakers. You can probably get a sufficient receiver and small speakers for $500. However, you would be introducing several components in order for her to watch tv. Maybe go with the TV and blu-ray first and see how she enjoys. If there is a need for better sound then help her out with either soundbar or receiver/speakers.

#3 ·
Ever heard the old saying "Two good speakers are better than 5 bad ones"? Get a decent 5.1 AVR - sub and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. In a small room wires and speakers can be hard to place. And no phone I know of can output a 5.1 channel sound format.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24076145

You are a nice brother !! I didn't see a receiver in your list of items. If you don't buy a receiver then the soundbar may be your option. I don't know much about soundbars. If you go the receiver route then that will be a couple hundred leaving you less for speakers. You can probably get a sufficient receiver and small speakers for $500. However, you would be introducing several components in order for her to watch tv. Maybe go with the TV and blu-ray first and see how she enjoys. If there is a need for better sound then help her out with either soundbar or receiver/speakers.

Thanks, one of my brothers has had a 2.1 speaker Bose system for a few years now. I think he paid $600 for it then and it surprisingly sounds good. Maybe I should shoot for a new Bose system? The good thing is that her room is small so it'd be easy to get some good volume out of something.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24076147

Ever heard the old saying "Two good speakers are better than 5 bad ones"? Get a decent 5.1 AVR - sub and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. In a small room wires and speakers can be hard to place. And no phone I know of can output a 5.1 channel sound format.

I'm thinking she'd do well off with a 2.1 setup" but it looks like my choices would be to get an all in one setup, or a cheap receiver with a couple book shelves, or a Bose system. It be hard but I might be able to squeeze more in the budget, maybe up to $700. Everything else is going to cost around $2k so the audio will be the last thing I get this week. She plays music on her phone because that's all she has right now lol

#6 ·
I think you have more options. I've been researching lately about a guest bedroom system in our house. When I read your sister's situation, I think 'bluetooth'. Bluetooth has come a long way with regards to audio quality. Range is still a limiting factor, however. There are some well-reviewed Class D and Class T amps on the market. These are modestly powered, but would be well-suited for a bedroom system. Check out this little amp: http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp7498e-200w-class-d-digital-amplifier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--310-298

Pair that with a decent set of bookshelf speakers, say the Pioneer BS22's, and you have something well under your budget. Possibly enough left over to consider a subwoofer. Personally, I would not hassle with a receiver in a bedroom system - too large a box, But that's me.

I'm going to be trying out this little amp: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/14/dnp-griffins-twenty-audio-amp-enables-airplay-in-any-2-1-speake/ in one of our bedrooms. We'll hook it up to our apple tv and stream itunes/itunes radio as well as netflix, etc. Has a sub-out which enables a crossover to the speaker out at 80Z when used. Pretty nifty. We'll see how it sounds....

#7 ·
Speavler, thanks for the input, I'll check out those links

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078614

You can get a pair of NHT super zero 2.1 and the NHT 8" sub for $470 with free shipping.

It would make a really nice bedroom music system.

Cool, I'll look those up, thanks

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078664

She only listens to music from her phone, a soundbar with Bluetooth built in should work fine.

It would but I'm thinking about since I'm giving her a big screen to use for movies, games, ect. Should I beef up the TVs factory sound just so that she'd have a full setup from the get go? She wouldn't need much and I'm not sure how the tv by itself would do.

#13 ·
#14 ·

Blackmamba, any chance I could get adopted into your family before next Christmas? What you're doing is really nice and your sister is very lucky to have you as a brother.

My input on the subject would be go along the same lines as knucklehead and zieglj. If this is the first good AV gear your sister has ever had then who knows where she might want to take it in a year or two. If you go with a soundbar and no AVR then she will be very limited on her expansion options unless she wants to drop some extra cash herself. But if she has a 5.1 AVR she can easily upgrade the speakers and subwoofer as she is able through time (if she gets the bug to do so).

That said,  I think that the Denon/Boston system linked above would be a great way to achieve your goal and give her the best options for future upgrades.

Reactions: Blackmambakila
#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078832

Blackmamba, any chance I could get adopted into your family before next Christmas? What you're doing is really nice and your sister is very lucky to have you as a brother.

My input on the subject would be go along the same lines as knucklehead and zieglj. If this is the first good AV gear your sister has ever had then who knows where she might want to take it in a year or two. If you go with a soundbar and no AVR then she will be very limited on her expansion options unless she wants to drop some extra cash herself. But if she has a 5.1 AVR she can easily upgrade the speakers and subwoofer as she is able through time (if she gets the bug to do so).

That said,  I think that the Denon/Boston system linked above would be a great way to achieve your goal and give her the best options for future upgrades.

Thanks, what about a Bose system? Man it's hard to decide

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078882

No, No - and again No

Lol is Bose trash?

Reactions: ellisr63
#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078868

Thanks, what about a Bose system? Man it's hard to decide
If it were me I would stay away from Bose.

Let's put it this way, Bose is known for their marketing skills. Denon is known for their Audio.

Reactions: ellisr63
#20 ·
#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078895

Lol is Bose trash?
That would be giving trash a bad name.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078985

That would be giving trash a bad name.
LOL. ^^

#23 ·
Hmmm im going to check best buy. They have some receivers and speakers marked down such as open box stuff. There this klipsch 5.1 speaker system there for $400 brand new and i could throw in a denon receiver and be at $600 for a whole setup. Or i could get the receiver and pair it with a couple floor standing speakers for front towers. Her room is so small the tv will take half her wall lol i know she wouldnt need rear speakers, just like a 2.1 or something similar

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24079218

Hmmm im going to check best buy. They have some receivers and speakers marked down such as open box stuff. There this klipsch 5.1 speaker system there for $400 brand new and i could throw in a denon receiver and be at $600 for a whole setup.

Or, you can save money with the refurb Denon/Boston combo for $250 - here >
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1513BA/DENON-DHT-1513BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html

#25 ·
#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau  /t/1505673/help-with-buying-speakers-for-a-christmas-present#post_24078975

Just to throw this out there too:

Energy 5.1 Take Classic - $349 at Amazon

Marantz NR1403 Slim AVR - $290 (refurb) at Accessories4Less

You're a good brother.

I think Best Buy has the 1403 for $299 new. I walked into mine the other day and saw a stack them for $299.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.