help with 'intermediate' speakers (NHT, JBL, CerwinV, Polk, yama) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. I'm trying to get a pair of "intermediate" speakers... what that means: i will have my final set next year, when i move to a new place around july.

So for now, instead of wasting a lot of money on something that will probably not match my next place, i'm scouring craigslist for a 'good enough' setup until then.

The current place has hardwood floors. decently sized and mostly open (minimalist decor. little furniture close to walls.) medium/high ceiling.

System is at the longer wall, right on the middle.

i will mostly listen to music. jazz, bossa. occasional heavy metal. a few movies, nothing that i may want to feel explosions... indie movies and documentaries (yeah, i'm boring)

Power will come from a H&K avr3600. And because of the situation, price is a heavy point.

I don't want to hang anything to walls... neither crowd the room too much, so i'm aiming for floor speakers with good range on their own.

Options i have so far is down to:

#1) pair of ugly piano blacks NHT 2.5... for $350 (think it is a little too much for 1996 speakers. they are never mint on CL)

#2) 2x JBL E80 $250

#3) 2x Cerwin-Vega 280 SE $200 (i think i can lower that price if it is worth while)

#4 el cheapo) 2x yamahas that i think are NS-A3500 for $40 (biggrin.gif) + a $100 for a 10" sub (probably a polk that i can even use on my next setup). plus a polk center channel i already have (but wanted to use someplace else) to help with mids.

#5 odd find) $200ish for JBL sub and 2x Mitsubishi speakers that the guy don't know the model, but are 4-way so should give a fair range and i may put the sub back on CL if i get all the lows i need from the 2 6" on each....

#6 meh?) $300 for what appears to be polk monitor 70 plus polk rears and center.

appreciate any input on this. I have absolutely no experience with any of those models. Or speaker selection at all smile.gif I'm a headphone guy. and not even that i choose myself...

edit1:

some more finds:

#2.5) 2x DCM TIME FRAME TF-350 for $150 too problematic even to inspect frown.gif

#2.6) 2x NHT 2.1 for $200

#3.5) 2x JBL N38 Northridge $150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

nobody going to bad mounth my CL prices even? tongue.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
What have you liked or have you owned in the past?

Anyway, the pair that seems to get pretty positive reviews/comments on the audio threads are the NHT 2.1's.
gcbavs likes this.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbavs View Post

nobody going to bad mounth my CL prices even? tongue.gif

I would go with NHT 2.5

Then DCM, if they were in good shape

Then JBL

However, there is Cambridge Audio that is new
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/cambridge%20audio/results/1.html
gcbavs likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 11 Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys. I'm now harassing a magneplanar Seller :-) if it doesn't work out Iwill probably go with those Cambridges for a little over 300, thought my budget was 300... oh well, who I was kidding
post #6 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

update if anyone is bored enough to follow this smile.gif

all the CL deals were awful.

So i'm getting all new. got a 12" JBL sub from amazon, and ordered a pair of magnepan MMG (I really want to try planars now that i've starting seeing them)

I think i should have went with 10" on the sub... but heck, amazon had the 12" ES250P cheaper than i could find the 10". I'm running it on level 2~3 smile.gif and leaving the crossover on max (~150hz)

i'm waiting the MMGs... and amazon now has a promotion that I could take a pair of JBL Es80s for less than $300... i'm thinking I should have bought that instead. It gets down to the same price as the Cambridge audio zieglj01 posted, but 3way and much nicer reviews. anyway, the planars are already paid for. just hope i don't feel like hating/returning and then regretting passing on that price for new es80s. damn Magnepan's dealers for not having showrooms anywhere.

Now I am just worried about highs. will see if/how lacking it gets when the MMGs arrive.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

If I were buying a new speaker for $600, it would be the Magnepan MMG.  I talked my brother into buying a pair, and he is quite pleased with them.  I don't know of a more natural sounding speaker at that price.  Of course, like everything else, they have their limitations, but you may fall in love.  Please let us know how you like them.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Everyone always talks about the advantages and mention the inherent problems without going in detail... That's the main reason i ordered them.

Edit: shipping tracking says they arrive tomorrow smile.gif

Also, i'm retruning the JBL 12in ported sub i got. The rattling it gives out on lower frequencies (even on level 2!) was too much for me. and I tought i wasn't a sound snob...

Anyone have recommendations of entry-level sealed subwoofer to pair with the MMGs?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

If I were buying a new speaker for $600, it would be the Magnepan MMG.  I talked my brother into buying a pair, and he is quite pleased with them.  I don't know of a more natural sounding speaker at that price.  Of course, like everything else, they have their limitations, but you may fall in love.  Please let us know how you like them.

I am liking them a lot. Though they lack a LOT on highs for me. And mind you, before that I was using el cheapo 3ohm included-with-the-dvd-player speakers smile.gif

as the consensus had, they shine on mids. but i just can't feel much for the highs and lows. It can handle them, on louder volumes. But i'm usually listening to music while working or cleaning the house. In those situations they kinda suck. highs and mids are completely lost. Placement had no effect on that.

now, listening to loud film or music they become another speaker. i throw jazz, bossa, classic piano and occasional trash metal. when loud they have incredible range and they disappear. not sure on the right terms, but they just vanish from the room.

now, keep in mind this is a few weeks only with the speaker, and completely subjective.

i'm running them on stereo only now. I had a new sub for 3 hours, but it blow while playing the very first action tv series i tried to watch to test it.. still have to call the guy that build it to see if he has some warranty paper on the drivers :/

Other than that, i had a small polk center tl-1 or something... that simply feels out of place. I set it as 120hz and then 200hz on the crossover... but it always feel like it is out of phase... i can't explain, it is not out of phase, obviously, but feels like. i left it on -10db and 200hz xover for some time hopping it would help me at least a little to understand the Irish servants on downtown abbey but eventually gave up. now i'm with just the MMG on stereo. plan to fix the sub asap but life is in the way as usual.

Also, on -20db directly from the receiver, i can fill my entire (larg-ish) first floor with very satisfactory music all around. with a pair of borrowed polk t5 or something i had for a party, i had to make people on the living room deaf if i wanted music to reach the kitchen. Now i have the MMGs on the living room and the old cheapo speakers on the kitchen as zone2... i barely even turn on zone2.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

Everyone always talks about the advantages and mention the inherent problems without going in detail... That's the main reason i ordered them.

Edit: shipping tracking says they arrive tomorrow smile.gif

Also, i'm retruning the JBL 12in ported sub i got. The rattling it gives out on lower frequencies (even on level 2!) was too much for me. and I tought i wasn't a sound snob...

Anyone have recommendations of entry-level sealed subwoofer to pair with the MMGs?

Sealed subs don't start until you get to the $500 mark with the SVS SB-1000. It is a very good sub, but I would wager $500 is more than you want to spend. Most of the entry level subs are going to be a little boomy, and more suited for HT. If I were you, I would save up go with something good like the SVS PB-1000, or maybe the HSU VTF-1 MK2 at $420.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

I would look at this Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer - and the all around word is, that it is real good
with music. And, the spl is around 92 db at 25hz
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7RW/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Rose/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 3600 80 Watt X 7 1 Channel High Performance Home Theater Receiver Black , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker