15Likes

post #61 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post
B&H Photo has them for $300 per pair for the 308 and $225 for the 305.
Where are you seeing the price on B&H for the 308's? I am looking at their website and see the standard price of $250/piece.

EDIT: Ok, I think I see what you are referring too... just saw an ad for B&H on AVS and it took me to the sale but I noticed it says for a used speaker. Still not a bad deal though.

Last edited by McLuvin; 08-08-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Where are you seeing the price on B&H for the 308's? I am looking at their website and see the standard price of $250/piece.
On their site, do a search for LSR308 and two things will pop up. The single speakers for $249 or the "kit" which is a pair of speakers for $299.
post #63 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 782
$299 for those is a nice price.
post #64 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post
On their site, do a search for LSR308 and two things will pop up. The single speakers for $249 or the "kit" which is a pair of speakers for $299.
Yep, I see that now. Interesting that they have used ones on sale for $150/piece linked from AVS and then there is this kit for a new pair at the same price. Good find and thanks for sharing!
post #65 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Ok, so it seems like a no brainier to try it out for the current sale price but was still curious if anyone could comment on my post below?

Quote:
Just stumbled across this thread and thought I would pose my question here. I am currently in the process of going all active for my media room and I am looking at the 308's and Behringer Truth B2031A or B3031A monitors for surrounds. The furthest point for rears from the MLP is around 7' so I think they should work fine but was curious on everyone's opinion for such a setup with these speakers. I will be running QSC K8's for the mains and I currently have a Seaton CAT 8 for the center. My goal is to eventually have CAT 8's across the fronts and then maybe move the K8's to the rear but I am trying to put it all together on a budget right now so the L/R CAT 8's will have to wait for now.
post #66 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Ok, so it seems like a no brainier to try it out for the current sale price but was still curious if anyone could comment on my post below?
I have had a pair of 308's for about a week. They will perform like any other 8" book shelf. IOW, just because they are monitors doesn't mean they have to be used in a studio.
In your situation my biggest concern would be that they will not likely be anywhere as sensitive as your other speakers.
I had planned to buy a third for a center if I like them. I am returning them. Mainly because they do not sound as balanced as other speakers I have or have owned. I think the 305 is better overall, especially in the highs.
kingpin111 likes this.
post #67 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Up here the cheapest new I have seen the 308's is $299 each.

Quote:
MKtheater -I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show
My speaker build PROJECT OVERKILL WWMTMSS
Photobucket link to build photos
Photobucket link to Project Overkill cut down
post #68 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I have had a pair of 308's for about a week. They will perform like any other 8" book shelf. IOW, just because they are monitors doesn't mean they have to be used in a studio.
In your situation my biggest concern would be that they will not likely be anywhere as sensitive as your other speakers.
I had planned to buy a third for a center if I like them. I am returning them. Mainly because they do not sound as balanced as other speakers I have or have owned. I think the 305 is better overall, especially in the highs.
Thanks MUDCAT45... appreciate the input. So what speakers are you looking at now then? Staying with actives?

I agree with you in your concern but since I am looking at these of more of a stop-gap solution then I don't think I am too worried about that particular issue. They would be replacing a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's v2 for now with the ultimate goal of putting the K8's in the rear.

I think I am going to go for it because of the sale. I can report back my impressions if anyone is interested.
post #69 of 173 Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Thanks MUDCAT45... appreciate the input. So what speakers are you looking at now then? Staying with actives?

I agree with you in your concern but since I am looking at these of more of a stop-gap solution then I don't think I am too worried about that particular issue. They would be replacing a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's v2 for now with the ultimate goal of putting the K8's in the rear.

I think I am going to go for it because of the sale. I can report back my impressions if anyone is interested.
I am thinking about MAUDIO M3-8. I am toying with the idea of all active on the front 3 speakers.

Already have JBL, Revel and Klipsch KG's. I m looking for more of a live sound without too much PA sound.
Please report back with your evaluation.
post #70 of 173 Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post
FYI to those interested in the LSR305/308, Sweetwater has them on sale and also buy one get second half off... looks like a pretty sweet deal
I just ordered a pair of 308s from SweetWater and they should be here tomorrow! Can't wait to try them out. I listened to a pair of B&W 685s2 speakers while on vacation and they indeed sounded muffled and muddy in the midrange. I was very disappointed since they were on special too.

I wanted a setup with proper balanced outputs for use in a multichannel setup, so a cheap stereo DAC with XLR outs wasn't going to cut it. What I ended up getting is a pair of CleanBox Pro RCA to XLR converters which are very highly rated bal/unbal devices to get consumer line levels into pro inputs. I'll post my impressions here. Now I have an upgrade path to allow a full 7.1 setup without spending two grand on a prepro or receiver with a full set of XLR outs. Any Oppo BD player or receiver with pre-outs should do now. Much more affordable.
post #71 of 173 Old 08-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Keep us posted on the CleanBox. My plan was to use the Behringer MX882 which is around $100. One of its functions is to be a 6 channel consumer level to pro level amplifier.
post #72 of 173 Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of LSR305's to use for my desktop PC. Do they auto power off when they don't have a signal after a set amount of time and wake up when they get a signal? I looked through the manual and they don't mention it so I'm guessing not... assuming they don't what do you guys use to turn them off without reaching back for the switches (it would be a PITA on my setup). I'm thinking of getting a smart power strip and use my monitor as the master so when it turns on/off the JBL's turn on/off.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #73 of 173 Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pre-Amp/Processor for LSR308's

I heard the 308s and have to have them now. I am starting my music system from scratch so am only interested in 2x LSR308s plus 1x LSR310s sub.
I am looking for an affordable $200-$400 processor for these powered speakers. I wouldn't hook up much apart the cable TV box because already have a 5.1 room in the basement. I,ve looked at Emotiva but was wondering if there were other pre-amps which were a good match for the 308's and which had the required pre-outs? I done a few hours/days online searching but am not finding any one good resource to filter by 'pre-outs'
Thanks,
Moto
post #74 of 173 Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If the processor has bass management, good chance you would get a better value going with a different sub. There is no advantage in buying the same sub brand as the speakers. Get the best sub for your money.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #75 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Setup up the LSR305's for a relative couple weeks ago (with a Denon HT1000). They never auto off'd that I saw.
Sounds pretty great. I was surprised.

*I use a pair of MMG's at my home with a Parasound HCA2200, nothing crazy.
post #76 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got my 308s...already love them

Mr. Mysterious
post #77 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mysterious View Post

Mr. Mysterious
You guys getting the LSR 308s make me jealous. I really want to try a pair. I just don't need them

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #78 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of LSR305's to use for my desktop PC. Do they auto power off when they don't have a signal after a set amount of time and wake up when they get a signal? I looked through the manual and they don't mention it so I'm guessing not... assuming they don't what do you guys use to turn them off without reaching back for the switches (it would be a PITA on my setup). I'm thinking of getting a smart power strip and use my monitor as the master so when it turns on/off the JBL's turn on/off.
They do not have an auto power off feature and I just leave mine on all of the time. I have them plugged into a surge protector and the amp never gets warm (even under load) and I believe their current draw is rather low. It would be a nice feature to have but since they don't seem to draw much current and produce no heat, then I don't think it's a big deal to leave on as long as you have them protected. And I do not experience any signal thumps when I turn on my pre-amp. Very quite speakers in this regards...
|Tch0rT| likes this.
post #79 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mysterious View Post

Mr. Mysterious
Just got mine last week as well and have been playing with them whenever possible. My intention is to use as surrounds but another member who started another thread was using them for L/C/R. He had some troubles getting them to play loud so I thought I would test mine out up front as L&R first before putting them as surrounds. I don't appear to be having the same issue he is and I am quite amazed on how these sound. I finally got to re-run Audyssey yesterday (even with the previous wrong Audyssey setup they sounded really good) and I am still experimenting but I am hearing a lot of detail out of these speakers. Natural, smooth, and accurate is how I would describe them. I have them approx. 10.4ft from the MLP and the speaker calc says they should hit about 105db with two of them at that distance. Very impressive especially at this price point. Needless to say, I am sold on powered speakers.
post #80 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I am thinking about MAUDIO M3-8. I am toying with the idea of all active on the front 3 speakers.

Already have JBL, Revel and Klipsch KG's. I m looking for more of a live sound without too much PA sound.
Please report back with your evaluation.
Hi MUDCAT45... been toying with the 308's and I got to say they are very impressive speakers. Much better than I anticipated at this price point. Sorry you didn't feel the same but I did come across some studio monitors that might be what your looking for. They are the PreSonus Sceptre S8's. They also have an S6 (6" version) but I assume you would be more interested in the 8. They are designed by Fulcrum Acoustics for PreSonus. I think they will have the live sound your looking for minus the PA distinction based on the design and the lineage of the designer (Fulcrum). However they are a lot more expensive then the 308's. They have full active DSP and 2 of them calculate to 119db at 1m so they are much louder by comparison. Check them out when you get a chance.

As for the 308's, best bang for the buck as far as I can tell. They (along with all powered/active monitors in general) have changed my whole perspective about this hobby. Thanks JBL!
post #81 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Just got mine last week as well and have been playing with them whenever possible. My intention is to use as surrounds but another member who started another thread was using them for L/C/R. He had some troubles getting them to play loud so I thought I would test mine out up front as L&R first before putting them as surrounds. I don't appear to be having the same issue he is and I am quite amazed on how these sound. I finally got to re-run Audyssey yesterday (even with the previous wrong Audyssey setup they sounded really good) and I am still experimenting but I am hearing a lot of detail out of these speakers. Natural, smooth, and accurate is how I would describe them. I have them approx. 10.4ft from the MLP and the speaker calc says they should hit about 105db with two of them at that distance. Very impressive especially at this price point. Needless to say, I am sold on powered speakers.
Yeah, it makes the most sense for me because I don't have to bother with figuring out what's the best amp/preamp or have to worry about 'blowing them out'. They're really convenient.

Mr. Mysterious
post #82 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
They do not have an auto power off feature and I just leave mine on all of the time. I have them plugged into a surge protector and the amp never gets warm (even under load) and I believe their current draw is rather low. It would be a nice feature to have but since they don't seem to draw much current and produce no heat, then I don't think it's a big deal to leave on as long as you have them protected. And I do not experience any signal thumps when I turn on my pre-amp. Very quite speakers in this regards...
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just get a smart power strip to power them on and off. I don't like leaving things on, I watch my power bill like a hawk LOL.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #83 of 173 Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
You guys getting the LSR 308s make me jealous. I really want to try a pair. I just don't need them
Same.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #84 of 173 Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

So I've joined the JBL club and couldn't be happier. I've been listening to all my old favorites on .FLAC as well as movies and both my girlfriend and I loved it.

I have it connected from the analog outs of my HTPC through my Cleanbox Pro but I don't have a straight RCA to XLR to compare it with. I do notice a tiny amount of noise / hiss when I put my ear immediately next to the speaker, so I'm not sure if that's a feature of the sensitivity of this speaker in general or if using unbalanced raw using the -10db setting on the back would give more, less, or the same amount of hiss. Using my cleanbox I get +4db at the output so that's what I switched my inputs to.

Now that I'm satisfied I'm going to be ordering another 308 and a pair of 305s to make it a 5.1 setup, then eventually another pair of 305s for the surround rears or perhaps Atmos front heights if I can find a PC-based codec for it.
post #85 of 173 Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Now that I'm satisfied I'm going to be ordering another 308 and a pair of 305s to make it a 5.1 setup, then eventually another pair of 305s for the surround rears or perhaps Atmos front heights if I can find a PC-based codec for it.
Nice! I bet three of those 308's across the front would be an awesome front soundstage.

post #86 of 173 Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
So I've joined the JBL club and couldn't be happier. I've been listening to all my old favorites on .FLAC as well as movies and both my girlfriend and I loved it.

I have it connected from the analog outs of my HTPC through my Cleanbox Pro but I don't have a straight RCA to XLR to compare it with. I do notice a tiny amount of noise / hiss when I put my ear immediately next to the speaker, so I'm not sure if that's a feature of the sensitivity of this speaker in general or if using unbalanced raw using the -10db setting on the back would give more, less, or the same amount of hiss. Using my cleanbox I get +4db at the output so that's what I switched my inputs to.

Mind if I ask what is the distance to your LP and how loud do you listen to movies (reference? ) and music. Have you felt you ever reached their limits at any point?

Thanks
post #87 of 173 Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Nope, they are more than loud enough at my sitting distance, which is about ten feet or so.

I live in a huge loft and running them as 2.0 instead of 2.1 doesn't make much difference. My sub is a rather cheap one which I'll probably replace sooner or later, but I can run these speakers full range and they handle everything I throw at them well. If I wanted more SPLs I would just get a front stage of EON 615s which was my original dream speaker, but now that I have these and they cost half as much and provide ample SPLs, I plan on getting a full set of this LSR line. I am super satisfied with the sound output and clarity, and I've owned Klipsch KL-650 THX horn speakers powered by an Emotiva amp, as well as some B&W speakers. I think these are perfect, I'm so glad I read this forum! Otherwise I would have speakers 2x as big as they needed to be. If you run them not full range and with a sub, I don't see how you could need more power or SPLs unless you're in a huge room.

My loft's theater area (semi closed room) is 22 (deep) x 11 (wide) x 13 (height). The SPLs of the Klipsh were overkill and I had to put the volume up to get the dialogue clarity that I get with the 308s at lower volumes. I'm glad I sold all my old stuff, this is much more minimalist and bang for the buck, better than what I had before in many respects.

I like these 308s a LOT more than the demo of the muddy sounding B&W 685s I heard at a hifi retailer. That demo convinced me to go with JBLs instead and try my luck. I'm so glad I did, because otherwise I would be feeling like I'm missing out on midrange clarity as well as bass extension and stereo separation / imaging too.

JBL FTW! They've got a hit on their hands. Good job guys.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 08-28-2014 at 09:14 AM.
post #88 of 173 Old 08-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any recommended mounting for these? They're rear ported so they need some breathing room in the back, I'm just wondering if I should just build shelves until my projector screen or get some kind of dedicated hook up.

If they had VESA mount brackets that would be great. Oh well, can't get it all.
post #89 of 173 Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Mind if I ask what is the distance to your LP and how loud do you listen to movies (reference? ) and music. Have you felt you ever reached their limits at any point?

Thanks
Just to chime in... When I had mine temporarily up front for L&R, I tested at reference level and they had no issues. My seating position is about 10.4'. According to the speaker calc, they should hit reference at 10.5 feet with a little room to breath. I think you might have to run them a little hot though as I was not getting over 100db during my tests but they were loud and did not break up at all. I was very tempted to keep them in the front and buy another pair for the rear but then I hooked up my QSC K8's and they are a better match for my center. The 308's are now being used as surrounds as was my original intent. If you want a great all around setup at a good price, they are hard to beat.
post #90 of 173 Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Is there any recommended mounting for these? They're rear ported so they need some breathing room in the back, I'm just wondering if I should just build shelves until my projector screen or get some kind of dedicated hook up.

If they had VESA mount brackets that would be great. Oh well, can't get it all.
Not sure of your setup but this is what I am using for my 308's for surrounds and they work great:

http://www.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77-Ul...TXSCZTE4XZ07FQ

and here is another one that looks almost identical but allows for more width (12 inches compared to mine at 11 inches):

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Mount...inpoint+mounts
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page