Recommendations for a 7.1 speaker setup for under $800? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I'm renovating my basement and building a home theater setup with a bar. The home theater section is about 12' wide and 18' long with 8' high ceilings.

I already have the room wired for a 7.1 speakers and a projector. I was wondering if there are any 7.1 speakers systems that you would recommend for around $800. I might be able to spend $1000, but no more.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Honestly, start off with the best 5.1 you can get for $1000 and then add 2 more speakers as budget allows. You're really pushing it with the budget, so better off being conservative to start with.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #3 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Question #1...do you already have a receiver? #2, do you need 7.1
800 fior speakers/ sub? Maybe, but if you need an Avr, probably not getting you a decent system. Maybe 5.1...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

This is just for the speakers and the subwoofer. I also need a 7.1 A/V receiver, hopefully something decent under $500?

I'll be hooking up my PS3 and HD cable box to it, but I'd like more than 2 HDMI inputs.

Also, I'd prefer floor standing speakers over bookshelf for the two front side speakers.

Thanks

post #5 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Spend as little on the Avr as you can and as much on the speakers as possible. You can often get a decent 7.1 Avr for 300 dollars.
I agree, you would best best off getting the best 2.1 you can afford for 800 dollars and then building out from there in stages.
For instance, you can get focal 706 bookshelves and a bic pl200 sub for around 750! That would be a great start to a great system!

post #6 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies =)

Honestly, I'm not really looking to buy something high end like the Focals. I'm looking for something that is obviously better than a home theater in a box setup (speaker/receiver combos from Walmart), but nothing that crazy.

I [i]really[/i] don't want to spend more than a grand on all speakers and a subwoofer. I just don't find the room ideal for such a set up, it opens up to a game room on the right and it is beside a suite as well.

Did some more online shopping and pieced a speaker system for under a $1000 with a subwoofer.

Do you guys believe that the following system is a decent bang for the buck?

Floor Standing Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046A8R3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Center Speaker:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044D1788/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Surround Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044D3R7M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Subwoofer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AV0Z0G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I realize that none of these will be able to touch the Focal's or any other high end system, but do you guys find that these are a decent bang for the buck?

Thanks

post #7 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

lets just make some completely arbitrary and subjective categories
1. Cheap HTIB crap, less than 500 dollars per system. Better than TV speakers, but that is about it and you get what you pay for!
2. Seperates, budget or entry level. 500-2,000 systems. The Pioneer AJ system, Several Polk lines, the Infinity Primus line you link above, etc.
3. Seperates, mid level to high end (Obviously, this category could be broken into many price ranges) 2,000-500,000 or even more.
The reason why I recommended the Focal speakers is that a few months ago they were in the lower end of category 3, but now several models are priced in the budget or entry level category. It like buying a new car in August, but buying last years' model at a bargain price. Still getting new with full warantty, etc, but usually a way better pirce that the same car several months ago or the new version of the car. Draw back, well, it has bee sitting on a lot for part of a year and the new version might have some improvements.

However, the Infinity line you have linked are very good "bang for the buck" speakers and if you live anywhere near a Fry's electronics, you can get these even cheaper! The p363 is routinely 110/speaker!

post #8 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoomal View Post

Thanks for the replies =)

Honestly, I'm not really looking to buy something high end like the Focals. I'm looking for something that is obviously better than a home theater in a box setup (speaker/receiver combos from Walmart), but nothing that crazy.

I really don't want to spend more than a grand on all speakers and a subwoofer. I just don't find the room ideal for such a set up, it opens up to a game room on the right and it is beside a suite as well.

Did some more online shopping and pieced a speaker system for under a $1000 with a subwoofer.

Do you guys believe that the following system is a decent bang for the buck?

Floor Standing Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046A8R3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Center Speaker:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044D1788/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Surround Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044D3R7M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Subwoofer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AV0Z0G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I realize that none of these will be able to touch the Focal's or any other high end system, but do you guys find that these are a decent bang for the buck?

Thanks

How big is your room?

BTW, I would agree with people that I would start out with something less than a 7.1 system.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

18'x12' with 8' high ceilings. It opens up to another room around 12'x12'.

I already have it wired for 7 speakers, I can't just leave the wires hanging out.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoomal View Post

18'x12' with 8' high ceilings. It opens up to another room around 12'x12'.

I already have it wired for 7 speakers, I can't just leave the wires hanging out.

How big of an opening to another room?

A standard doorway or something bigger?

As for the wires hanging out: there is no way to easily (cheaply) cover them?

If that is indeed the case, then yes, going 7.1 makes sense for your budget.

BTW, I am sorry I did not remember your room size from your first post.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page