what speakers should i buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

I am going to be purchasing a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver for my home theatre and I would like to find some speakers to match to it correctly.

As you guys are the experts I would greatly appreciate some advice on what rating speakers I should be getting. I'm looking for 2 Large tower types as they'll be sitting next to a 65" LED, a centre channel and two in-ceiling rear speakers, and a sub.

I can provide any other specifics ie. room layout/dimensions if need be

thanks alot for your help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes-please provide room size,budget and listening preferences.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Below are pictures of the room

The living room itself is 15' x 15' = 225 square feet.
The dining room to the left is 11' x 14' = 154 square feet
the kitchen in behind is 5 1/2' x 12' = 66 square feet

As for listening preferences, obviously its an open space so to get the full effect would be difficult. (right?) The super high levels of volume are not something i'm necessarily after, but more importantly would like really good quality surround sound.

Obviously during certain movies I would like to turn in up however I have tenants and a kid on the way so Im sure i wont be blasting it very often.

I definitely want speakers that will match my receiver, are of pretty good quality and will last me a long time. As for budget, I'm not too sure yet but at least $700 - $1000?

Thanks again for your help guys.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
one mistake a lot of us make (made) when we first get started is to not budget well. Been there...you are talking about a 500 dollar receiver and only 700-1000 dollars for speakers!? A good AVR will sound like crap with crap speakers. It is usaully recommended that you spend 3 times the cost of your AVR on speakers and sub...

So, let assume you haven't bought the AVR...you have a budget of 1200-1500 dollars (500 for the rec and 7-1000 for speakers). two recommendations...
1.try to keep the AVR at or around 300 dollars-get one with enough power, room correction software and either 5.1 or 7.1 capability. AVR technology changes a lot faster than speaker technology, so in 5 yrs you may need to replace your AVR anyway.
2. Start with 2.1, 3.1 or at the very most 5.1 and get fewer, but better quality speaker.

You are talking about filling a space of just under 500 sq ft, so small satellite speakers will be underwhelming. Also, for HT/movies, you will want to budget at least 3-500 dollars for sub (SVS PB1000)?
For speakers, towers or bookshelfs? Focal speakers have several lines that are "well priced" and come pretty highly recommended on this site (I have never heard Focal speakers, so...)! Cambrige Audio s30 and s70 models can be found at a nice price right now...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #5 of 10 Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
While Elihawk is dead on about how often we misuse our budgets in the beginning: there isn't some magic ratio.

1) You buy your AVR based on it having the features you want. Edge cases aside: your AVR won't change the quality of your sound or video (in the events where there's a need for better amplification, you get an AVR with pre-outs). If you need wireless networking, ipod integration, and 9-channels, then that might be expensive. Be wary of over-buying; but you can't determine AVR based on the speakers (again, except to determine if you need pre-outs). You determine it by features.

2) Room size isn't important unless you are considering critical listening throughout the room. What actually matters is the distance you will be listening from. Volume is a function of distance. Specifically: Every time the distance to the speaker doubles, you lose 3db-6db of sound.

3) Towers vs bookshelves will mostly come down to two things. 1) do you have space for a subwoofer (if not: you should find some) and 2) do you want to put them on a shelf or on the floor. At your budget, the cost for stands will mostly (if not entirely) offset the cost advantage of bookshelf speakers. If you will not be using a subwoofer: you will likely find more towers to your liking than bookshelves.

I do agree you should really consider a subwoofer as part of the budget.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

one mistake a lot of us make (made) when we first get started is to not budget well. Been there...you are talking about a 500 dollar receiver and only 700-1000 dollars for speakers!? A good AVR will sound like crap with crap speakers. It is usaully recommended that you spend 3 times the cost of your AVR on speakers and sub...

So, let assume you haven't bought the AVR...you have a budget of 1200-1500 dollars (500 for the rec and 7-1000 for speakers). two recommendations...
1.try to keep the AVR at or around 300 dollars-get one with enough power, room correction software and either 5.1 or 7.1 capability. AVR technology changes a lot faster than speaker technology, so in 5 yrs you may need to replace your AVR anyway.
2. Start with 2.1, 3.1 or at the very most 5.1 and get fewer, but better quality speaker.

You are talking about filling a space of just under 500 sq ft, so small satellite speakers will be underwhelming. Also, for HT/movies, you will want to budget at least 3-500 dollars for sub (SVS PB1000)?
For speakers, towers or bookshelfs? Focal speakers have several lines that are "well priced" and come pretty highly recommended on this site (I have never heard Focal speakers, so...)! Cambrige Audio s30 and s70 models can be found at a nice price right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

While Elihawk is dead on about how often we misuse our budgets in the beginning: there isn't some magic ratio.

1) You buy your AVR based on it having the features you want. Edge cases aside: your AVR won't change the quality of your sound or video (in the events where there's a need for better amplification, you get an AVR with pre-outs). If you need wireless networking, ipod integration, and 9-channels, then that might be expensive. Be wary of over-buying; but you can't determine AVR based on the speakers (again, except to determine if you need pre-outs). You determine it by features.

2) Room size isn't important unless you are considering critical listening throughout the room. What actually matters is the distance you will be listening from. Volume is a function of distance. Specifically: Every time the distance to the speaker doubles, you lose 3db-6db of sound.

3) Towers vs bookshelves will mostly come down to two things. 1) do you have space for a subwoofer (if not: you should find some) and 2) do you want to put them on a shelf or on the floor. At your budget, the cost for stands will mostly (if not entirely) offset the cost advantage of bookshelf speakers. If you will not be using a subwoofer: you will likely find more towers to your liking than bookshelves.

I do agree you should really consider a subwoofer as part of the budget.

Thanks again for all the help

The reason I picked that specific AVR is the wide range of features, connectivity and the good reviews I read about it. The price is alright too.
Being the newb that I am at this, I forgot to add an amount to my budget for a subwoofer. I most definitely want a sub, and as my room is prewired for surround, there is already a spot for it. As for the price of speakers, i'm more than willing to buy them over a span of 2-3 months as opposed to all at once and possibly buying them in a hurry and without the correct though process/planning.

As you can see in the pictures, the TV will be mounted (up on the large shelf mantle) where the old one sits at the moment. It will, however, fill that space much better than the current TV and it will also be wall mounted.

Also I will have enough room to place towers on either side of the TV or alternatively wall mount the bookshelves on either side of the TV. (also up on the large mantle shelf)

The distance from the front speakers will be about 13 feet, with the rear in-cieling speakers directly over head up 9 feet.

I will choose (be guided towards) which way to go (bookshelves or towers) dependant on the opinions and expertise of experienced members like yourselves. Obviously cost would come into play but like I've said from the outset, I would like to get this right from the start. If i'm going to do it, i'd like to do it right.

Given all this information, what rating, type, brands speakers and sub do you guys suggest?

the assistance is much appreciated.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyOneKeano View Post

Given all this information, what rating, type, brands speakers and sub do you guys suggest?
At $1000? Pioneer or Infinity Primus (I'd use three matching bookshelves I think) should get you through the front for around $250. Not sure on in-ceiling; but spend what's left on a good sub or two.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 368
In-ceiling HTD
http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition/HD-R65AIM-ceiling-speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 10 Old 12-29-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds alright. I would imagine towers would cost me more ya?

For that AVR, what ohm speakers should I be looking at?

Thx
post #10 of 10 Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyOneKeano View Post

For that AVR, what ohm speakers should I be looking at?
6+ http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDN1040&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page