Need advice: GoldenEar SuperSats vs.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been searching for actual "end-user" reviews of the Golden Ear SuperSat 50 and 60 5.1 systems for use in my living room. When searching I mostly find professional reviews and the same quoted paragraphs from recent press releases. Are these packages not selling well, or just not being reviewed by end-users?

I have a new Denon X3000 A/V receiver, and new 65" Samsung TV and about $3000 left to spend on a speaker package. My room is 18' x 16' with an 18' tall ceiling, and this room is open to dining room followed by kitchen on left side. I would mostly use the system for movies where I want the deep "punch" of explosions, etc., but secondary use would be ambient background music throughout these 3 rooms along the back of the house.

I want all speakers wall mounted, except of course the sub. Low profile is of importance, but 3" deep is not too much.

I have heard from some that sales people who deal with Golden Ear that their ForceField Subs are lacking something. They have recommended going with an REL sub. Anyone else feel the same way, i.e. that another brand of sub would be a good decision.

Two other speaker packages that I am looking at based on form factors and prices are:
1.) Def Tech XTR 50 or 60s up front with the XTR-20BP in back and a SuperCube4000 sub.
2.) Def Tech Mythos 9 System
3.) KEF T305 Home Theater System

Any and all firsthand reviews of these speaker system or individual speaker performance are appreciated.

Would any of these systems be overkill for a living room of this size?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 639
My impression is that they are sold through dealers. Is there one nearby where you can hear them for yourself?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply FMW,

Yes, these Golden Ears are sold through ListenUp in the Denver Metro area. Anyone know of other dealers here? Unfortunately, these two stores I visited had some component of the system missing such as a different sub, or technical issues which did not allow me to really hear the systems as a full package. Also, their listening room was quite different in size and furnishings, and they didn't really crank it up for the movie scenes with many other customers in the store.

One of the salesmen there told me they stopped selling the Def Tech XTR because these speakers were not up to their standards. That is a single data point of information, so I am looking for others who may own or have had first hand comparison experience with these vs. the Golden Ears. I know there are many who will say as long as you have a good sub, the subtle differences in your L-C-R will not be obvious, but then what would be this preferred sub for such a sized system?

Thank you, hoping for more input from anyone.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lueger_tanks View Post

...but then what would be this preferred sub for such a sized system?

That question is way bigger than you apparently think it is. AVS forums have an entire sub-forum just for subwoofers.

I've been playing with this question myself. My survey of the field points me toward Rythmik and SVS. Also that two subs are nearly always better than one. But much depends on your preferences, your other speakers, your electronics, and most of all, your room. Not to mention, your significant other. wink.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Golden Ear SuperSat owners....still hoping to read some owner reviews!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Definitive Technology Xtr 60 Ultra Thin On Wall Lcr Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page