Looking for bookshelves speakers to match w/ Denon AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a Denon AVR-2312 that is currently connected to Energy take classic 5.1 system. But I'm looking to get a pair of bookshelves for 2 channel music and I'd like to know what folks recommend. My budget is anywhere from $350 to $550 for the pair. I plan to get to a Best Buy magnolia to listen to some. At the top end, I like the Klipsch RF-61s b/c of the horn tweeters but never owned the brand before. I mostly listen to rock, alternative, jazz, and R&B.

Martin Logan Theos | Oppo BDP-103 | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Apple TV | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV | MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post

I have a Denon AVR-2312 that is currently connected to Energy take classic 5.1 system. But I'm looking to get a pair of bookshelves for 2 channel music and I'd like to know what folks recommend. My budget is anywhere from $350 to $550 for the pair. I plan to get to a Best Buy magnolia to listen to some. At the top end, I like the Klipsch RF-61s b/c of the horn tweeters but never owned the brand before. I mostly listen to rock, alternative, jazz, and R&B.

How big is your room?

Also, are you open to the idea of spending the 350-550 on the front three instead of just the L/R?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 353
post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

My Room is 16 x 15 with an 8-9 foot ceiling. I am open to buying three speakers, but wasn't sure if I'd also have to upgrade the sub and surrounds, which I wanted to avoid. Thanks for the links too. Other than Cambridge, I've never heard of the brands listed. I assume they are pretty good or they wouldn't be recommended...

Martin Logan Theos | Oppo BDP-103 | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Apple TV | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV | MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display
post #5 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

After reading about the HTD, I really like those. Good deal for what you get. But that center channel speaker is huge. Almost two feet wide! I would have to re-arrange some things to make it work.

Then I found the Energy CB-20s and CC-10. They're about $150 more, but at least I'll have all the same brand speakers. Not sure if that matters, but seems like it would. But the HTD are a better value, it seems.

post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 393
HTD is nice - however since you desire to mainly listen to music,
The Cambridge is the better speaker, and if you have the vertical
height, I would buy a second pair, and use one as a center.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just replaced my front 3 energy takes with the arx a1b and arx a2c and am using the remaining two energy speakers as the surrounds. Its a huge upgrade. The center is large but it has a really great clarity that just puts the small takes to shame. It also has a much larger freq response so gives you some better options as far as sub crossover. I had to run my sub crossover pretty high before upgrading. HTD, arx, emp tek and focals (on clearance) are all good speakers that are consistently recommended around this price point. They are all really high performance vs cost type brands.
jake9 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan View Post

I just replaced my front 3 energy takes with the arx a1b and arx a2c and am using the remaining two energy speakers as the surrounds. Its a huge upgrade. The center is large but it has a really great clarity that just puts the small takes to shame. It also has a much larger freq response so gives you some better options as far as sub crossover. I had to run my sub crossover pretty high before upgrading. HTD, arx, emp tek and focals (on clearance) are all good speakers that are consistently recommended around this price point. They are all really high performance vs cost type brands.

Hey, SuperFan, thanks. I was worried I'd also have to change the surrounds and sub, but it sounds like they are working good for you after upgrading the front 3.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you can do matching surrounds its great but its not critical by any means. If your doing a lot of full channel music it's probably more important but for typical HT where mostly effects on the back channels not a huge deal. If your looking for music mostly with the bookshelves, i would recommend looking into the new arx a2rx-c. I am using them for center channel last few weeks and they are truly something especially for the price. I think they would really shine in a 2.1 or 3.1 setup.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page