Best value in speaker wire these days? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi all.

I haven't really paid attention to speakerwire in about 10 years.
  • First of all... is the consensus that speaker wire still matters alot? Or is it all pretty much the same?
  • If it does matter.... who makes good stuff at affordable prices? I don't want to pay a giant mark-up!
  • Does the type of end connector really matter?

FYI... I found some leftover cable I used to have. I used some "Tributaries" brand silver/copper twisted wire to hook up my new Klipsch RF-7ii series speakers. Is this a good choice, or a poor choice?

Also FYI... this was a bare spool of wire that I cut down to proper length, so I just used the bare wire ends to connect to the recevier and speakers. It does not come with any fancy permament gold-plated connectors or anything. Will this affect sound quality?
Also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Hi Landmonster!

This is the most commonly quoted reference for determining the required gauge of speaker wire: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable. Beyond selecting at least the minimum gauge, there's nothing else to worry about.

Monoprice is often given as the go-to vendor for speaker wire at reasonable prices: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10239.

As long as it gives a sturdy, positive connection, the type of connector doesn't really matter either. It's basically for convenience if you tend to hook-up and unhook a lot. An advantage of connectors is to help ensure that no stray filaments of wire short across to an adjacent terminal, but if you pay a bit of attention, bare wire is fine. Some people just like the neat look of connectors too.

I would just hook up what you've got and forget about it.

How's the new setup going?
post #3 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I finally have the Klipsch RF-7iis and the RC-64ii hooked up, with my PS3, Denon X-4000 receiver, and HDTV.

The sound is pretty awesome... but it seems to vary depending on the media. Also, bass is kinda lacking. Then again, I might like everything alot more once I have a good subwoofer.

I'm having some buyer's remorse, wondering if I should have gone with JTR or some higher-end brand!
post #4 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I dunno...The JTR speakers have a good reputation, but so do the RF-7IIs and RC-64. Fwiw, I own the previous generation of RF-7s (and RC-7 along with RB-75s) and haven't felt the need to upgrade for over 10 years. That said, running a quality sub with that setup and setting a crossover would definitely take the stress off of your AVR and allow your Home Theater to go lower in Hz and at a louder volume.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I dunno...The JTR speakers have a good reputation, but so do the RF-7IIs and RC-64. Fwiw, I own the previous generation of RF-7s (and RC-7 along with RB-75s) and haven't felt the need to upgrade for over 10 years. That said, running a quality sub with that setup and setting a crossover would definitely take the stress off of your AVR and allow your Home Theater to go lower in Hz and at a louder volume.

I'm a little confused by this. By adding a sub, does that actually make the tower speakers themselves sound better?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
By adding a subwoofer the receiver doesn't have to produce the lower frequencies to your tower speakers. That enables the towers to have a cleaner sound.

So yes the towers do sound better due to adding a subwoofer.

Afro GT
post #7 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

I'm a little confused by this. By adding a sub, does that actually make the tower speakers themselves sound better?

Fwiw, a quality sub will make all of your speakers sound better....Look at it this way:

1) Consider what afrogt said above.
2) You have a powered subwoofer supplying the lower end with what it needs to hit those notes efficiently.
3) Your AVR only needs to supply the power to hit what is above the crossover point.
4) Now look at your speakers and sub as a 3-way system. Your speakers are 2-way with the horn tweeter hitting the high notes and the LF drivers hitting between there and the midrange and everything below that is directed to the sub when you set a crossover in the AVR.

If you set one or two subs in decent locations you won't even realize they are there and your speakers and sub(s) will work together to provide seamless sound with crisp high notes and lower notes that are felt, as well as heard and not sound like they are emanating from the sub (but instead the direction the source dictates).
post #8 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Best would be to buy high quality wire and terminate it yourself, like Canare 4S11 or high end Belden. If you aren't comfortable with that, there are quite a ebay sellers that will do it for you and sell it at a good price.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Or use 16 ga from monoprice. There will be NO sound quality difference.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Gauge matters depending on how long your runs are.
Stating that 16ga is sufficient period is not true.
Look at the Belden speaker cable at Blue Jeans Cable.
For the price why not get the 9ga and be done with it.
Depending on the posts on your amp and speakers you may not need to terminate them although spades or bananas are cheap and makes things cleaner.
Monoprice is also very good.

The cables you originally referenced, Tributaries, make very nice cables as well and as long as the gauge is sufficient I would see no reason to buy new ones.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #11 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

This is the most commonly quoted reference for determining the required gauge of speaker wire: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable. Beyond selecting at least the minimum gauge, there's nothing else to worry about.
+1, but this calculator is a bit easier to work with IME.
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Gauge matters depending on how long your runs are.
Stating that 16ga is sufficient period is not true.
Look at the Belden speaker cable at Blue Jeans Cable.
For the price why not get the 9ga and be done with it.
Depending on the posts on your amp and speakers you may not need to terminate them although spades or bananas are cheap and makes things cleaner.
Monoprice is also very good.

The cables you originally referenced, Tributaries, make very nice cables as well and as long as the gauge is sufficient I would see no reason to buy new ones.

True. I guess I just meant for most standard applications. I guess I just try to recommend that people not waste money on expensive cable. If it makes you feel better, go with 12 if it's not much more. Just don't go with anything TOO fancy.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page