Klipsch KL-650-THX + Klipsch KS 525 THX Surround or Klipsch KL-650-THX +Klipsch RS-62 II Surround? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zen Traveler

post #1 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI Guys,

I will be selecting Klipsch for my 7.2 system.

The Klipsch will be use for side and rear surround.

I decided to use Klipsch KL-650-THX for back surround.

So which model to use for side surround ? Klipsch KS 525 THX Surround or Klipsch RS-62 II Surround?

By the way, Klipsch surround is bipole right?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 721
What are your front and center speakers? And how big is the room?

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #3 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 690
I don't think bipoles make much sense for a 7 channel system. I think it is far more suited to a 5 channel setup. The reason is bipoles deliberately make a mess out of the soundstage in order to give a 'spacious sound'. But a 7 channel setup would want a clearer soundstage. With four surround channels, more distinct sound points makes a lot more sense. Bipoles will wash all of that away. For this reason I would go with monopole speakers in a 7 channel surround system. You might just swing for some RB-61s instead. I think they will sound better and they will also cost less.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercop View Post

HI Guys,

...By the way, Klipsch surround is bipole right?

Thank you

Correct. Here is a good explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Bipoles offer the best compromise between dipoles and monopoles.

Dipoles have a "null" in their dispersion pattern that faces the listener. They are intended to be mounted in only one location... at 90 degrees to the listener, (directly at your sides.) In other words, you get no sound directed towards you. You only get sound directed towards the front and rear walls. This provides a very diffuse soundfield that adds ambiance. They work great for content that is intended to be ambient. However, for content that is intended to be localized to the direction of the speaker, (many sound effects in movies are this way), they don't work well at all. Dipoles are basically a holdover from the old ProLogic days, when the only content sent to the surrounds was ambiance stuff extracted from the front channels. In current SS technologies, (DD, DTS, and the lossless codecs), the surround content can be discreet, and sound mixers can use the surrounds to add directional cues. To reproduce those sounds accurately, one needs a "directional" speaker.

Monopoles have a direct, localizable dispersion pattern. They are not diffuse sounding. For content that is intended to add ambiance, monopoles can work, but dipoles work better. For content that is intended to be localizable to direction of the speaker, monopoles work much better than dipoles. They can also be mounted in more positions than dipoles, as long as they're aimed at the listening position.

Bipoles are the best of both worlds. They have a 180 degree dispersion pattern. For content that is ambient, they project sound to the front and rear and add ambiance. For content that is localizable, they project sound directly at the listener and are directional. They have far greater placement flexibility, and they don't necessarily need to be aimed at the listener to work properly.

The Klipsch WDST design uses 2 symmetric horns mounted at (approx.) right angles to each other. Both horns have a wide, almost 180 dispersion pattern. They spray the front and rear walls with sound for ambiance, and they direct sound towards the listener for directionality. Here's what Klipsch says about WDST:

"Exclusive Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST) enables surrounds to reproduce localized and ambient sounds with unlimited placement flexibility."

I see no downside to those surrounds.

My $0.02.

Craig
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HI Guys,

I will be selecting Klipsch for my 7.2 system.

If you have 3 KL-650s up front then any of the Klipsch THX Ultra line will work...That said, you could get away with using the smaller KL-525s in the back and on the side to save money and not sacrifice on SQ. If you have more than one row of seats the KS-525s may work better for side surrounds. My 2 cents.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 46
post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my room is 5*7 meter

LCR : Seaton Catalyst 12 c

sub: 2 submersive

The reason I need to use bipole for side surroud is to cover sound space in the front.

The first row is around 3.5 meter from the screen and i have 2 row seating.

Between old model like Klipsch KS 525 THX Surround and the latest surround Klipsch RS-62 II Surround, which one is better?

Will Klipsch KL-650-THX work well with Klipsch RS-62 II Surround? Will both of them sound in the same manner?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my room is 5*7 meter

...Between old model like Klipsch KS 525 THX Surround and the latest surround Klipsch RS-62 II Surround, which one is better?

Will Klipsch KL-650-THX work well with Klipsch RS-62 II Surround? Will both of them sound in the same manner?

Klipsch designs their speakers to be used within product lines because of voicing and timbre matching. The KS-525 is probably a better speaker and is voiced/timber-matched with the KL-650 in the Ultra II line. That said, the RS-62s were designed and matched to go with the Reference line and preferable to the KS-525 with those speakers to achieve a seamless sound between soundstages. They both use the same Klipsch WDST technology and possibly could be mix-n-matched with good results, but I have no idea how they would sound with your Seaton speakers since they don't have a horn tweeter. What does Seaton recommend to use?
rezponse likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-01-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:

my room is 5*7 meter

The reason I need to use bipole for side surroud is to cover sound space in the front.

The first row is around 3.5 meter from the screen and i have 2 row seating.

Between old model like Klipsch KS 525 THX Surround and the latest surround Klipsch RS-62 II Surround, which one is better?

So you have seaton up front then? Well any of the speakers would work good if your not matching them go with the best deal you can find imo. I have rs62ii and they work really good.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Kl 525 Thx Lcr Speaker , Klipsch Kl 650 Thx Lcr Speaker Right Channel , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker