Surround Speaker Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66

First a little back round on why & what I have what I have...... Years back I was pretty much only a 2 channel music guy. With the advent of surround sound and HT, I slowly added pieces to my set up. Knowing what I do now, I would have made much better choices... But, alas... I have what I do and I want to make the best of it.

My fronts are IL-40 Infinity... I just bought an excellent condition IL-25C as my center speaker. I am using 2 Infinity BU-1 subs. I also just bought  a Harman kardon AVR 3600 for avr duties. The source for my movie and music choices is an Oppo BDP-103.

Now.... my surround speakers are Polk Audio RM 6700 box set.... Less the center channel speaker that I will replace with the IL-25C. The surrounds are actually faily good sounding for being small.

The IL-40's /89db Sensitivity

The surrounds /89db Sensitivity

I currently have the side surrounds mounted at ear level about 6' from the listening position.

The rear surrounds are mounted on the cieling behind the listenening position at about 7' away.

Fronts, center and subs are about 12' from the listening position.

The room is L shaped and is open behind the seating position. If you were seated watching the TV, there is open area to the right.

...........................................................

I sw   FL         TV       FR  sw                   I

I                                                           I............

I                                                                        I

I sl                                           sr......................I

I                    couch                   I

I                                               I

I       sbl                        sbr       I

I                      open                  I

I know much of my equipment isnt the choice of most forum users, also,  I understand the point of all the speakers being similar, but its what I have for now. So with the smaller Polk surrounds and now having the larger IL-25C, will everything flow alright or will I need to buy 4 IL-10 speakers for my surrounds? Would that be overkill because of the close proximity of the surrounds at only 6 & 7 feet away from the seating position? Any suggestions on anything really?? comments?

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Are you happy with how your current set-up sounds? Matching the surrounds isn't as important as having a unified front speaker set, so if you enjoy what you have, that's all that matters. There is always better ... and there is 'good enough'. Only you can decide where that point lies with your usage, wants, and budget. smile.gif
Joseph

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

Are you happy with how your current set-up sounds? Matching the surrounds isn't as important as having a unified front speaker set, so if you enjoy what you have, that's all that matters. There is always better ... and there is 'good enough'. Only you can decide where that point lies with your usage, wants, and budget. smile.gif
Joseph

HA, HA.... yea... about that budget thing... Honestly, I havent gotten the "new" (read used) H/K nor the IL-25c.... BUT, I currently have an H/K Avr 245 and all the polk stuff... its all running 7.1 analog hook ups (no HDMI on the 245)..... sourced by the oppo. That said, I was pretty happy with what it was...and anyone whos ever watched a movie with me or listened to music has been impressed... Im thinking the new stuff will really wake things up. I was a little concerned with the dissimilar speakers...

Thank you.

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You're very welcome. Please report back after you get the new equipment set up and the speakers calibrated. I suspect you'll be quite happy. smile.gif Then when the next upgrade bug bites, we'll discuss those subs... wink.gif

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

You're very welcome. Please report back after you get the new equipment set up and the speakers calibrated. I suspect you'll be quite happy. smile.gif Then when the next upgrade bug bites, we'll discuss those subs... wink.gif

Yes, yes... I know they are sub-par.... LOL.... I have my eye on a HSU VTF 2 MK4....

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

So, everything showed up. I have everything dialed in as well as I think it can be. Overall, Im pleased. The IL-25 made a great improvement. I re ran the EZ set up and it was close to what I thought should be correct for the room. I did bump up the level on the center just a couple db more than where Ez set up set it. Also, I changed the surround settings to 80hz. Ez set up had them at 60hz. The surrounds are pretty small, so I didnt think 60hz was right for them.

I had to place the center speaker lower than where it was before because of its size and weight.... sometimes it does seem to be distracting because the dialogue seems to come from lower than the screen. Im getting used to that though. Also getting a new flat panel sometime this year which will be mounted on the wall enabling me to raise the center just a bit.

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 3600 80 Watt X 7 1 Channel High Performance Home Theater Receiver Black , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Infinity Interlude Il25c Center Channel Speaker