Trying to figure out what to do next - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Folks,

I'm having a bit of a problem decided on the next move in my setup. As per my agreement with the wife I am allowed to make a single upgrade to my system per year. This year I will be making my upgrade sometime around June, so I've started the process of trying to decide what I want. Right now it has become a bit of a stalemate between two different items. The debate is if I want to upgrade the sub or if I want to get some work done on my surrounds. Here are the factors and what I'm looking at:

Current Equipment:
Denon 2112
F/L: EMP e55 towers
C: EMP e56 center
Side Surrounds: Sony bookshelf speakers that ran me $100 in 2002
Rear Surrounds: KLH 911B's (does KLH even exist anymore?)
Sub: BIC F12.

Over the next few years I have a few major upgrades planned. The debate I'm having is the order in which to do it. Right now I'm looking at replacing the side surrounds with Monitor Silver FX speakers. I plan on replacing the KLH speakers with EMP bookshelf speakers. I plan on replacing the sub with the HSU VTF-15. System is currently used 90% for movies, 10% for music.

Right now I'm leaning towards replacing the subwoofer first. I've read nothing but great things about the HSU, and I think it would give me the biggest possible return. The concern I have with that however is twofold. First off my surrounds still jump out to me as the weakest link right now, and I can't help but wonder if I should swap them first and tackle the sub later. Additionally I've got a kiddo on the way in a few months, and somewhat question my ability to give the HSU a workout with an infant in the house. of course, my kid won't always be an infant and the HSU should be pretty awesome for a while.

I would love some advice for you all on what you would upgrade first in my situation.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
As low as your main speakers go, I would think that they would sound good even with the sub turned off (maybe even BETTER). I would just leave that sub OFF!

I assume that you are running them full-range, as you certainly should be.

The Sony speakers are certainly the crummiest thing in that system, by far! They are definitely the fly in the punchbowl.

I would certainly concentrate on getting the best replacement for them ASAP.

The EMP E41 speakers would seem to be the way to go.

If you have the money, buy 4 of them. that will be your one improvement.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 675

In my opinion, the majority of your sound is going to be produced by the front mains, center, and sub.  Those EMP towers definitely do not have the low bass capability for movies. 

Do you need a sub as large as the VTF15?  How about a 6-$800 sub and the e55b for your surrounds, rather than one monster sub and no surrounds. 

Several options for very good upgrade on your sub from 6-$800:

Rythmik LV12r  $599

HSU VTF2 $586

SVS PB12-NSD $699 shipped

Outlaw LFM1-EX $649 plus shipping.

HSU VTF3

PSA XV15 $799 shipped.

How big is your room?

All of these subs would allow you to add the (bookshelf)surrounds and still come in at or under the VTF15.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 712
The sub is the way to go for movie viewing. I use a sub to support my E55's as well even with music and it certainly makes a difference. But my sub is a 15" home brew - a bit stronger than yours.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I will admit I really like what I'm reading about the PSA XV15. That may well be the next upgrade.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

In my opinion, the majority of your sound is going to be produced by the front mains, center, and sub.  Those EMP towers definitely do not have the low bass capability for movies. 

Do you need a sub as large as the VTF15?  How about a 6-$800 sub and the e55b for your surrounds, rather than one monster sub and no surrounds. 

Several options for very good upgrade on your sub from 6-$800:

Rythmik LV12r  $599
HSU VTF2 $586
SVS PB12-NSD $699 shipped
Outlaw LFM1-EX $649 plus shipping.
HSU VTF3
PSA XV15 $799 shipped.

How big is your room?

All of these subs would allow you to add the (bookshelf)surrounds and still come in at or under the VTF15.

I agree. The E55's don't do a good job with LFE by themselves and they certainly do shine with subwoofer support.

Another option to consider is DIY. The 15" sealed Ultimax sub pictured below next to one of My E55's cost me $465 total and about 6 hours over two days to complete. That price includes a 300 watt plate amp. Since it is sealed it won't compete with the ported units above for level but it can shake my room and the sound is outstanding. Some stuffing, wire, weatherstripping, glue, clamps, a saber saw and some paint and you're good to go. It isn't hard. Parts Express has everything you need. Just a thought.

ultimaxsub.jpg
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
definitely look into the E55wi's to replace your surrounds since you already have the emps. had them for over a year now a love them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Klh Bookshelf Speakers 911b , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Xv15
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page