Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

You could just find a couple of cheap timber stools like this to tide you over. Saw a bit off the legs if necessary to get the tweeters to seated ear level. Put 'em on a couple of old towels to dampen any vibrations. Done!

Ha! I was thinking some plywood/mdf and 2x4's for now. I have a design together for stands made from metal 2x2" square tube...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

PB-12 NSD is now on sale for $599 since the new version came out, FYI

edit: just saw you ordered the rythmik already. By all accounts, it is a great sub and you won't regret. Post your impressions later of your setup!

Yeah it seemed like an interesting question to ask back then when I was still trying to figure out the right allocation of money to spend on a sub vs LCR/Surrounds. The deal for the Ascend's plus the Rhytmik seemed like it was worth reaching for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Absolutely. Part of me wished I had given those ascends a shot as they look great. Unfortunately without being able to test them, it was too hard to buy.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #63 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Absolutely. Part of me wished I had given those ascends a shot as they look great. Unfortunately without being able to test them, it was too hard to buy.

they have a risk free 30 day guarantee trial period.
post #64 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

they have a risk free 30 day guarantee trial period.

Right, but almost $100 in shipping charges is nearly 10% of the speaker budget*. In cases like that, its harder to make the choice and commit to having made the wrong one.

*($82 in shipping, $1267 for speakers for those playing at home)

post #65 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibratedDuctT View Post

Right, but almost $100 in shipping charges is nearly 10% of the speaker budget*. In cases like that, its harder to make the choice and commit to having made the wrong one.

*($82 in shipping, $1267 for speakers for those playing at home)

yeah i wasnt sure, a lot of the ID's will refund the shipping charges and pay for shipping back if you are unhappy with them.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/support/30dayguar.html

looks like they do give you a full refund, not sure about return shipping.
post #66 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

yeah i wasnt sure, a lot of the ID's will refund the shipping charges and pay for shipping back if you are unhappy with them.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/support/30dayguar.html

looks like they do give you a full refund, not sure about return shipping.

Right, Ascend/HSU/HTD would all refund the purchase price of the speakers/sub no questions asked. Ascend/HSU require you to pay shipping, HTD would pay shipping for you. (IIRC)

post #67 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
When you are talking about return shipping - one way to audition, is to buy a pair of
the bookshelf speakers, just to test out the sound signature - if you like them, then
go a head and finish out the system.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #68 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Right, Ascend/HSU/HTD would all refund the purchase price of the speakers/sub no questions asked. Ascend/HSU require you to pay shipping, HTD would pay shipping for you. (IIRC)

It's nice to have that, but it's built into the price. Not disagreeing or anything, just merely pointing that out biggrin.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #69 of 75 Old 01-23-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #70 of 75 Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadcorp View Post

On walls for $1099 KEF T105's http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFT105BLK/KEF-T105-5.1-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html

$1499 for the KEF T205's same place.

Video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TITkJLN1AC8

Huh. Interesting. Are those planar magnetic drivers or just standard voice coils?

In either case. I've got my speakers! I unboxed the hell out of them and placed them in the room.

Except I haven't wired them up. I'm going to build temporary speaker stands over the weekend and then turn everything on and see what happens...

Subwoofer is still on backorder, looks like it should ship Jan 31st or so and then however long ground shipping from LA/Seattle is...

post #71 of 75 Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh. Interesting. Are those planar magnetic drivers or just standard voice coils?

In either case. I've got my speakers! I unboxed the hell out of them and placed them in the room.

Except I haven't wired them up. I'm going to build temporary speaker stands over the weekend and then turn everything on and see what happens...

Subwoofer is still on backorder, looks like it should ship Jan 31st or so and then however long ground shipping from LA/Seattle is...

just standard cone drivers and dome tweeters i believe.
post #72 of 75 Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

The sub arrived last week after a bunch of delays (a UPS truck broke somewhere) and the hilarity of trying to fit that giant box in my car (I had to unpack it in the parking lot)... I've got everything together, and boy is this a lot of fun.

I promise to put up a more complete/concise review in the near future, with some pictures of how hilariously bachelor my place is...

That being said, if anyone has any setup tricks for a Denon 2311ci receiver I'd be glad to know them. I seem to spend more time getting my PS3 or cable box to handshake Dolby with the receiver than anything.

post #73 of 75 Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

The sub arrived last week after a bunch of delays (a UPS truck broke somewhere) and the hilarity of trying to fit that giant box in my car (I had to unpack it in the parking lot)... I've got everything together, and boy is this a lot of fun.

I promise to put up a more complete/concise review in the near future, with some pictures of how hilariously bachelor my place is...

That being said, if anyone has any setup tricks for a Denon 2311ci receiver I'd be glad to know them. I seem to spend more time getting my PS3 or cable box to handshake Dolby with the receiver than anything.
As non-manly as this sounds the best advice I can give is read the receiver manual cover to cover! AVR's are no where near as intuitive as the average smart phone and the manual goes at great lengths to explain the ins and outs. Its very helpful for getting the best sound
post #74 of 75 Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You have a smart phone that is intuitive? I have a semi smart phone that is certainly not.
post #75 of 75 Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your new baby! biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your impressions and pics as I regularly recommend the Ascend/Rythmik combo and like to link reviews from happy customers. (Hey, no pressure though!) I'd like to see what bachelor's digs look like these days... that was 25 years ago for me! rolleyes.gif

I had the little brother 1911 a while back, but not PS3 or cable. Anything else on the 2311CI giving you grief other than HDMI handshaking?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page