AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post

I was merely pointing out that Bose employs psychoacoustics
Not really. They do employ signal processing, but that's not the same thing, nor is it unique to Bose by any means. What they mainly practice is psychology, the power of suggestion to be specific, via extensive marketing to convince the average person that their products sound good and represent a good value.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

I was merely pointing out that Bose employs psychoacoustics

How do you know that? Is that what they tell you in their marketing documents? Because that could mean they changed the frequency response a little bit and claimed that. Or is there outside evidence to confirm that psychoacoustics are being used effectively with the acoustimass speakers to provide significant enhancement?

post #93 of 102 Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

How do you know that? Is that what they tell you in their marketing documents? Because that could mean they changed the frequency response a little bit and claimed that. Or is there outside evidence to confirm that psychoacoustics are being used effectively with the acoustimass speakers to provide significant enhancement?

I don't know that it's "effective", like I said originally, I haven't heard an AM10 in a long time. You're welcome to go have a listen yourself. http://youtu.be/H-iCZElJ8m0 is a sine sweep from 20 Hz-20 kHz. Play in HD to avoid the SD audio compression that cuts out at 16 kHz.

post #94 of 102 Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't know that it's "effective", like I said originally, I haven't heard an AM10 in a long time. You're welcome to go have a listen yourself. http://youtu.be/H-iCZElJ8m0 is a sine sweep from 20 Hz-20 kHz. Play in HD to avoid the SD audio compression that cuts out at 16 kHz.

Yeah. Like most AVS members, not interested. LOL

post #95 of 102 Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Amusing that the OP was branded a Bose troll, but the rest of you managed 4 pages of snark. It's fine to not be impressed with Bose speakers, I'm making no claims either way, I was just pointing out the design of the system does not lend itself to single speaker spec testing. The most damaging claim on the links posted was that there is a 80 Hz frequency gap between the satellites and the bass module when tested individually. I am not claiming this is not so, but merely hypothesizing that because of their psychoacoustical roots, you are not likely to experience this gap when listening to the entire system. I offered a simple test. I'll give it a try next time I encounter the system, and then I'll know. You do what you choose.

oOOBillO0o likes this.
post #96 of 102 Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I was merely pointing out that Bose employs psychoacoustics, which is a real field of physics, to coordinate their speaker arrays and that to evaluate a single speaker apart from that array is not respecting the design of the system. You're welcome to go plug your iPhone in at Best Buy and play a YouTube video that covers the frequencies and see how many are missing,

Good Idea with the YouTube test tone, and thank you contributing to the topic.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #97 of 102 Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Amusing that the OP was branded a Bose troll, but the rest of you managed 4 pages of snark. It's fine to not be impressed with Bose speakers, I'm making no claims either way, I was just pointing out the design of the system does not lend itself to single speaker spec testing. The most damaging claim on the links posted was that there is a 80 Hz frequency gap between the satellites and the bass module when tested individually. I am not claiming this is not so, but merely hypothesizing that because of their psychoacoustical roots, you are not likely to experience this gap when listening to the entire system. I offered a simple test. I'll give it a try next time I encounter the system, and then I'll know. You do what you choose.

You did make a claim. And to repeat my question, what evidence do you have that there is any beneficial psychoacoustical processing going on with the Acoustimass? Better might be to reflect upon how you are buying into the Bose brand image in speculating on that.

post #98 of 102 Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The Bose tests I have seen are of the AM system, not a single speaker and there are several gaps. Low freq, absent (50hz and below)...gap between 110-130hz...and a very telling dip early at the high end.
Measurements arent everything, but they sure tell you this system has the potential to sound bad.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #99 of 102 Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Bose does a couple "magic tricks" where they use bipoles (and sometimes dipoles) and subwoofers to create a sound that is surprising from what you see - big sound from small speakers. Then, they market those surprises as advanced technology. I suspect the lack of highs actually enhances the magic trick, because it makes the speakers harder to localize. The trick is impressive.

The only problem is that the surprising big sound is really low fidelity for the price, and side by side, there are similarly priced high fidelity speakers that will blow them away. It's a shame to see people waste their money on tricks.

If your priority is small speakers over quality and you don't want to mess with installing good in-wall speakers, Bose is is a reasonable choice.
Another reasonable choice along those lines is to simply add a subwoofer to your flatscreen.

If your priority is sound quality over speaker size, Bose is not a good choice.
oOOBillO0o likes this.
post #100 of 102 Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

The benefits of the Bose Acoustimass 10 are generally it's disadvantage when compared to most loudspeaker system larger than 5 Venti Starbucks Coffees and a overhead fitting carry-on. Intelligent consumers or those who what full frequency and high sound pressure levels, these are not going to meet their expectations. Every design is full of compromises and constraints.

Technical consumers are very demanding, this site is a great place to learn. Whats even better, if you are so inclined ,is to take classes or become involved in the industry. Interestingly, just the other day I demo'd a pair of McIntosh XR50 Bookshelf speakers. The XR50's have low, 81dB/W/M Sensitivity and the manufacturer claims 40Hz to 40Khz with a 300 Watt power rating. Shockingly, with a 75 Watt Per Channel Tube amp, the XR50's were cranking out the tunes and filling the large display room with honest full range music. They do not disappoint, even at $4,000 MSRP a pair.

Intelligent consumers who want a surround sound system that fits any decor & wife/spouse acceptance factor this is it.
Because of their size consumers must be willing to compromise to what it takes to get this small.

post #101 of 102 Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

Intelligent consumers who want a surround sound system that fits any decor & wife/spouse acceptance factor this is it.
Because of their size consumers must be willing to compromise to what it takes to get this small.

Actually, my choice for that consumer would be a Cambridge Minx or Orb Audio setup. IMO, better price/performance value for the money.

post #102 of 102 Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

^ Great! I think they are awesome too!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series Iv Home Entertainment Speaker System Black

User Tag List